OT: Zither sheet music

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
spittin_in_the_wind
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

OT: Zither sheet music

Post by spittin_in_the_wind »

I just got my daughter a 15-string zither (lap harp). It came with some tunes, but I was wondering if there's anywhere I can download more tunes to print? It's shaped like a triangle with the top cut off, and the music fits under the strings, so you just pluck the string where the note sits.

She's really enjoying it, and it's very easy for her. I made a couple of sheets of music for her myself, but it's kind of tedious. If I can download and print, it would be much easier.

Thanks!

Robin
Chuck_Clark

Post by Chuck_Clark »

You're talking about a note teplate rather than a musical score, aren't you?

When I did a web search for 'zither' and 'score' I got 600 plus hits. How's your German? This one may be specific, but I'm not sure.

http://www.freesheetmusic.net/cgi-bin/s ... nmusik.at/

If nothing else, I'd try to find a zither players' BBS and ask them. Hey, if there's this many people playing whistle, there must also be a bunch playing zither and talking about it.
HDSarah
antispam: No

Post by HDSarah »

The 15-string lap harp that Robin refers to is not at all the same as a German zither, so zither music and websites probably won't help. The lap harp is like a little hammered dulcimer but without any bridges, and it's normally plucked with a pick instead of struck. (OK, I admit, I may have a tendency to see everything in relation to a HD! But I'm sure most of us look at any wind instrument and automatically compare it to a whistle.) The "music" is a template that slides under the strings and shows the child which string to pick.

I think a German zither is more like an autoharp, in that it has some buttons that you can press for chords and strum as well as plucking individual strings to play a melody. Or I could be very confused . . . We have an old German zither at home in a closet -- it belonged to my husband's grandfather. I haven't looked at it in a long time, and none of us has tried to learn how to play it. One many-stringed intstrument is enough for me to keep in tune!

Sarah
ICE JAM: "dam" good music that won't leave you cold. Check out our CD at http://cdbaby.com/cd/icejam
Chuck_Clark

Post by Chuck_Clark »

Actually, from the several web sites I actually scanned before replying, the term 'zither' seems to be in general use for the one Robin described. I actually have one somewhere that I picked up ata garage sale a year or three ago. I also have a real zither that's an antique and not in great shape, so I don't play it.

I was really sort of surprised at the number of people who seem to view the little lap harp/zither/whatever as a musical instrument. Lark in the Morning even sells them. I thought they were sort of toyish because of the limited range and sound and the music templates that they seem to use instead of real music - sort of a hand-plucked player piano, so to speak.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Ah, whither the Zither?

But I dither.

N
Sandy Jasper

Post by Sandy Jasper »

Come Zither!

The day has finally come.

My well meaning mother gave me a stack of music books from a second hand store and in the midst of it all was a Zither book.

I have no idea why she gave me one as I don't have a zither, have never seen a zither and do not know of anyone with a zither. I don't listen to zither music in my spare time and have never gone to zither school.

As the years have passed, I have begun to look at the zither book as a responsibility. What if it is the last Zither book in the known universe? Why was I chosen to care for it?

The responsibility is heavy and I would be more than happy to pass the book onto you.

If you are interested in becoming the keeper of the zither book, please email me your snail mail address and I will post it to you!

Sandy
Elfin Queen of whistles and Zither books.
spittin_in_the_wind

Post by spittin_in_the_wind »

Chuck_Clark wrote:Actually, from the several web sites I actually scanned before replying, the term 'zither' seems to be in general use for the one Robin described. I actually have one somewhere that I picked up ata garage sale a year or three ago. I also have a real zither that's an antique and not in great shape, so I don't play it.

I was really sort of surprised at the number of people who seem to view the little lap harp/zither/whatever as a musical instrument. Lark in the Morning even sells them. I thought they were sort of toyish because of the limited range and sound and the music templates that they seem to use instead of real music - sort of a hand-plucked player piano, so to speak.
This is exactly what she has, Chuck...it's good for her, since she's only 6, and it sounds good and is rewarding for her to play. She's working on the whistle, but this is more instant gratification.

Sandy, I'll email you about the zither book!

Robin