Uilleann pipes from Spain

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
elbogo
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Uilleann pipes from Spain

Post by elbogo »

Has anyone seen this site, by Aragon, expert instrument makers, Scottish bagpipes, flutes, and (new) Uilleann Pipes. Practice sets, half and full sets... There is also a "Rowsome" model.

Very modern, scientifically developed and crafted. This is a big Flash site and you have to hunt for it all. Enter site by clicking on "launch application" directly under ad for Flash Player, then click on Store, then image of Uilleann pipes. Some sound files can be found in Archives, plus reed-making instructions, making a chanter, etc.

Paddy Maloney apparently bought two chanters from them!

http://www.arhpa.com/ingles/flash/index.htm

Edited for mistake: chanters are not made of metal, as I had mistakenly thought and indicated earlier!
Dionys

Post by Dionys »

Flash is nice if you have DSL speed connections. Otherwise it gets a little tedious. At least in my opinion. I wish there was a noflash version.

They look nice, sound okay, but I do find it curious that they don't say that the sound samples are samples of *their* pipes being played. It could just be a translation thing, though.

Dionys
Tir gan teanga <--> Tir gan Anam.
bagpipeworks

Hevia

Post by bagpipeworks »

I have the album by the Spanish group Hevia, called No Man's Land, this is a modern version of some old Spanish mountain music with Giata
pipes and a set of electronic pipes played by the band leader.
There is some very fancy fast playing in there, which is a breath of fresh air for bagpipes in general, well worth hearing.

Davy.
Thorpe

Post by Thorpe »

looked but got bored with flash :(
stew
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I play Uilleann pipes, they have three regulators, three drones bass tenor and alto, also a chanter, bellows and bag.

Post by stew »

Elbogo, These guys will have no problem making a set of Uilleann Pipes
which I sure they'll have a good design they made the pipes for the Spanish piper Jose Angel Hevia who plays modern and cultural spanish
music the pipes he plays are Asturian pipes he plays with great speed on some of his tracks he also plays low whistle he certainly is one hell of a piper and musician I've got some three album's by his band "Hevia" some of the turning on the drones of the Asturian's is absolutely fantastic the craftmanship is awesome these guys must have something special for the chieftain piper to order his pipes or chanters from. 8)
anima

Post by anima »

Beautiful website.

The Asturian pipes are gorgeous, but the U. pipes pictures aren't large enough.

Does anyone know anyone who has played these pipes (besides Paddy Molony)?

What's the diff between Asturian and Galician pipes?

Jeff
Juan Pablo Plata

Gaita gallega and gaita asturiana

Post by Juan Pablo Plata »

Hi. Galician pipes (gaita gallega) are played with open fingering mostly in C(gaita redonda), D(gaita grileira) and Bb(gaita tumbal), in order of preference. I prefer the closed fingering chanter type, more traditional, that makes that typical sounds. This type of pipes can reach a semi-chromatic octave and a half. The Asturian pipes have a more powerful sound, but not as strong as GHB. The Gaita Asturiana is closed fingered and have a bit of more notes range, about 14 I think. I know there are makers that have designed a two full octaves Asturian chromatic chanter, but it has not been widely showed. In both types the range depends of chanter and maker, of course, like another pipes type in the world. There are more differences, but it´s better to do some investigation for your own, there are a lot of pages if you search.
stew
Tell us something.: I play Uilleann pipes, they have three regulators, three drones bass tenor and alto, also a chanter, bellows and bag.

pipes made in spain

Post by stew »

Anima,
Juan is right, :wink: They are regional pipes Galican pipes come from northwest corner of spain and south down to portugal and Asturian pipes come from noth coast of Spain Gijon the Cantabrian Moutain area the Asturian pipes have one or two drones play two octave and the Galician pipes can have up to three drones and keyed chanters they go back to the 13th century. Aberto Fernandez Velasco make Asturian pipes and is rated a top rank maker.

Elbogo, I have some more info on the Uilleann pipe maker Hevia Parrado y Aragon I have prices on the practice sets and Chanters with
C natural and four keyed chanters and half sets and pictures of his
his four keyed chanter and info on materials he uses I will do a info
write up shortly the workmanship on the four keyed chanter is fantastic
no wonder Paddy Moloney ordered his chanters from him. 8)
Dionys

Post by Dionys »

Have you played them, or are you going strictly by looks?

Dionys
Tir gan teanga <--> Tir gan Anam.
stew

Post by stew »

Elbogo, :thumbsup:
I have just received sound samples of the practice
and half set of pipes this morning from Hevia pipe makers there
excellent the chanter sound absolutely beautiful there basic chanters
comes with a C natural key fitted with no bosses and are made from
Ebony the chanter metal tops are decorated with celtic designs the rowsome design chanter comes with a wooden top it seem they may do
two chanter designs there is much more info to come in yet pictures and prices the bellows are made of maple and ash the bags are hand sewn
and made of high grade leather I think they are also given a 12 month
warranty with there sets I'll check that out with Jose Roman Cuesta
I'm going to order a chanter this week it sound sweet as a nut they can
also make and copy of a chanter to the pracise dimensions it was taking from so any one who has a cracking chanter can have a exact copy made I'm going to try and get the sound samples up on the forum with the pictures I may need a little help in the next few coming days. 8)
anima

Post by anima »

Which type of pipes does Carlos Nunez play?
Juan Pablo Plata

Post by Juan Pablo Plata »

Hi. Carlos Núñez plays Gaita Gallega, I don´t remember the name of the maker in this moment, but he is no more making pipes. Carlos is one of the best musicians actually, but we can´t say this listening his last recordings, commercially oriented. He plays GHB, gaita gallega, recorder, whistle, a bit of uilleann pipes (learnt while touring with the Chieftains at sixteen years old), ocarina and more wind instruments at a level we can only dream. He´s not only technically perfect, he is a MUSICIAN in the full sense of the word.
anima

Post by anima »

I love the sound of Carlos' pipes.

Jeff