Rings of Power (on a flute)?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
bigsciota
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Rings of Power (on a flute)?

Post by bigsciota »

Sorry for the Tolkien-bait title, I'm not asking if I can put a ring on my flute to make it invisible. I'm actually wondering whether anyone here has shared some of my experiences with how others perceive flutes that don't look "conventional;" generally like a blackwood (or other wood) flute with silver rings. I've noticed a good few makers of delrin flutes offer them with or without rings, so it must be a consideration for some people at least!

I started on a WD Sweet Shannon flute, which not only doesn't have rings, it doesn't really make many attempts to look like a "normal" wooden flute. It's a fantastic flute, and I still play it fairly often thanks to the fact that I can throw it in the car or a backpack whenever I'm going anywhere without worrying too much about it. My main flute was made by Jil Lehart, and while it's not necessarily "conventional" thanks to the wide copper rings, looks like the fairly standard blackwood flute it is. I sound somewhat different on each flute (they are different flutes, after all!), but it's not like on one I'm horrible and on the other I'm Matt Molloy.

What's funny, though, is that I've noticed a distinct difference between how some people will treat me with either flute. Not everyone, and not all the time, but I have gotten more than a few looks and comments with the Shannon that suggest that I'm not taken as seriously. A few times I've gotten the cold shoulder until I've played a bit (I guess showing that I'm "on their level" or something), other times I'm given unsolicited advice on which flute I should buy to "upgrade." Most of the time it's just an obvious look/stare at the flute in the same way some people look at a bodhran or guitar as it comes out of its case; a clear sign they're less than pleased that you're taking it out.

One story in particular I find pretty funny. I was taking a class at the Willie Clancy Week a while back with a well-known and quite excellent flute player. At one point the teacher went around the room talking about the flutes each of us had. IIRC correctly there were quite a few Cotters, an Olwell, a Doyle, and some that I forget. When it got to me the teacher told me that I was "doing my best with a plastic flute," but advised to get a good wooden flute like the guy next to me. Thing is, his was also a polymer flute! It just happened to have rings and a finish that looked a little more wood-y from a distance. To be honest, I wasn't a fan of how his played, and he later asked me where he could buy a Shannon flute after playing mine!

It reminds me very much of the many Comhaltas/Fleadh judge recommendations to "get a better whistle" that have been discussed here before. A good friend of mine placed 2nd in the All-Ireland on the box once, with the main advice being to "get a better box" (I didn't think his sounded bad at all!). On the one hand, what snobbery goes on in someone's head isn't really a big concern of mine. On the other hand, maybe trying to "disguise" a delrin flute as best you can is a way to help ensure a pleasant experience when out at a new session.

Anyone else have this or a similar experience?
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Re: Rings of Power (on a flute)?

Post by Loren »

Yeah, I’ve seen it happen and I find it odd because in many musical circles outside of ITM, people don’t seem to have expectations, or if they do they run opposite: If you show up at a blues or bluegrass jam and pull out a beater guitar no one bats an eye or imagines you’re gonna suck, where if you show up with a shiny expensive axe the eyes will roll and you can see the skepticism on people’s faces. Often rightly so.

With regards to ITM and flutes, I think the prejudice arises from the fact that most flute players haven’t ever spent time with really good polymer flutes, and non-flute players are just ignorant (about flutes) in general :twisted:

A fun prank would be having Brian Finnegan show up to one of these snobby sessions, in disguise, with a bamboo Olwell, and record the before playing and after reactions covertly.

Its a bit mystifying really because at the end of the day, why should anyone care what instrument you’re using as long as you play it in tune, in time, and with good style and rhythm? I can’t imagine looking at the fiddlers’ violins and prejudging them based on the tuning pegs, bridge, chin rest or finish.
Terry McGee
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Terry McGee »

Loren, I'm reminded of the Smashed Strad story:

Legend has it that a famous German violinist [sometimes alternatively attributed to Fritz Kreisler] played at Carnegie Hall after the war. Public criticism, fueled by anti-German sentiment, said he was talented only because of his Stradivarius. During his performance, people applauded at the end of the amazing first movement, instead of waiting until the end, to signal their snarky opinion. The violinist waited politely until the applause died down, and then smashed his violin to pieces. He turned to the shocked and silent audience and said "And now I shall play my Stradivarius."

Bigscotia, here's your opportunity to dress the ringless flute up in Electrician's Insulation tape (perhaps in a range of bright colours - Green, White and Gold would seem appropriate - might be wise to avoid Red, White and Blue in some places!), Cheney Hose Clips, cable ties, etc, and put the street cred theory to the test. If you dress to suit, it might improve the busking income.
an seanduine

Post by an seanduine »

Terry, you had me needing to do a search on Cheney Hose Clamps. When I was driving, or as-often-as-not pushing, my MGA, Morris Garage´s manuals referenced ´Jubilee Hose Clamps´ :D
When I know in advance the session I am going to is going to be a ´cattle-call´, I can´t be arsed to bring my antique, but drag along my old war-horse Tony Dixon, and even then it has some kind of nickel-plated plumbing rings to shore up the Delrin. :D

Bob
Not everything you can count, counts. And not everything that counts, can be counted

The Expert's Mind has few possibilities.
The Beginner's mind has endless possibilities.
Shunryu Suzuki, Roshi
Terry McGee

Post by Terry McGee »

Now we're going to have an argument about which is more Trad.....
tradlad123
Tell us something.: Learning more about flutes here, and looking for good makers. Also used instrument exchange is very convenient.

Post by tradlad123 »

I have a keyed delrin Copley, purposefully with no rings. I love its look, the only metal seen is the tuning slide and keys. To me it looks very modern minimalist kind.
Also got compliments on it a couple times. :)
GreenWood
Tell us something.: To add to the renaissance flute discussion that is under way. Well, the rest of this field is going to be taken up by a long sentence, which is this one, because a hundred characters are needed before it is accepted.

Post by GreenWood »

The audience I have are pets and they don't mind what my flute looks like at all, but they like particular tunes. The Duke of Leinster is very popular, played "the traditional way" after Jim Murray it is renamed The Budgie Song... more Irish than the Irish.... I know :( ... but they are quick to join in and it does sound like when they talk to each other somehow ... at least how I play it :-)
tstermitz

Post by tstermitz »

I used to keep a butterfly sticker on the head of my antique brazilian martin guitar that covered the label. And yes, I got into a discussion with someone who was so proud of how much more expensive his axe was than mine.
Terry McGee

Post by Terry McGee »

tradlad123 wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 12:33 am I have a keyed delrin Copley, purposefully with no rings. I love its look, the only metal seen is the tuning slide and keys. To me it looks very modern minimalist kind.
Also got compliments on it a couple times. :)
Ah, a "stealth" flute ....

A long time ago I came across a story about how the flute player moves among us undetected, but I've never been able to find it since!
Loren
Make a new plan, Stan
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Terry McGee wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 9:25 pm Loren, I'm reminded of the Smashed Strad story:

Legend has it that a famous German violinist [sometimes alternatively attributed to Fritz Kreisler] played at Carnegie Hall after the war. Public criticism, fueled by anti-German sentiment, said he was talented only because of his Stradivarius. During his performance, people applauded at the end of the amazing first movement, instead of waiting until the end, to signal their snarky opinion. The violinist waited politely until the applause died down, and then smashed his violin to pieces. He turned to the shocked and silent audience and said "And now I shall play my Stradivarius."

Ha! Good one Terry.
Loren
Make a new plan, Stan
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

tstermitz wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 4:26 pm I used to keep a butterfly sticker on the head of my antique brazilian martin guitar that covered the label. And yes, I got into a discussion with someone who was so proud of how much more expensive his axe was than mine.
Oh man, some of those old Brazilian Rosewood Martins sound astoundingly good, I ran across a few back in the 80’s, when they were more common, and less eye wateringly expensive…… That wood really does make a difference.

The sticker seems like a good anti-theft measure, certainly no guitar snob would bother to boost such a beater :lol: