Adding keys?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
BKWeid
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I really enjoy the information and experience from the members on this forum. I've learned so much from the long time members about ITM, flutes, and whistles in general. I also enjoy the humor and culture. Instrument reviews have been helpful and the posts on embouchure are priceless. As I generally don't get out to sessions, the information from this board is my only connection at times to the music.

Adding keys?

Post by BKWeid »

I’m curious to hear your thoughts.

I have moved to playing a keyed flute this last year. I still pick up the keyless on a daily basis, but, most of my effort is with the keyed flute. I have a wonderful keyless likely crafted around 2000 or so. This flute’s creator is no longer taking orders and is/was considered by many on this forum to be a top level master of flute making. The better my skill level (and embouchure), the better this flute seems to be.

A long time contributor to this forum suggested that I send the keyless out for the addition of keys. I’ve contacted Maurice Reviol to discuss this project. As always, Maurice responded with knowledge and helpful insight—he is up to the task at some future date, if I decide to go forward.

The question is: Do I dare alter this flute by having keys added? I don’t want to change this wonderful creation from the original form, however, I wouldn’t likely ever let this flute go and I would play it as a (one of my) primary instrument if there were keys. The original craftsman is on another continent and hasn’t responded to emails—don’t blame him a bit—enjoy retirement.

While I realize there will be many varied opinions, I’m interested to hear the arguments I ought to consider when contemplating such a question. I hope the insights from the members of this forum might help in my decision making process.

Thank you all in advance!
tstermitz

Re: Adding keys?

Post by tstermitz »

I think some people have been pleased with adding keys to an un-keyed flute. Personally, I feel (intuitively, not as a flute maker) that the keys should be part of the original design.

I think you should keep your keyless flute intact and buy an antique 8-key, or else order a modern keyed flute. Maybe a boxwood flute made by Chris Norman would partner well your existing flute. Chris is a great player, and he learned his craft and inherited his boxwood from Rod Cameron.

Last time I checked, Chris's time frame is not outrageous, either.
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

I think Maurice Reviol could do a great job, but I also believe there is always a risk when modifying a well-loved flute. I have considered it for a couple of my flutes.

Remember, it's not just a matter of adding keys, but of drilling new toneholes of the appropriate size & location. The typical 6 keys are at least meant to be in the normally closed position, so other than any potential disturbance in the bore (or chimney height of the toneholes), one would hope the playing response would be very near to that of the original keyless.

The longer footjoint keys of an 8-key configuration (C, C#) are normally in the open position, and the key height adjustment from the tonehole might affect venting or tonal quality of other notes.

Additionally, any potential pad (leakage) or mechanical problems on a keyed flute could reduce reliability. There's always rubber bands and Blu-Tack to the rescue.
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

I've had Maurice add a key to a flute (Eb key), and he did a great job. Back when I had this question (maybe 10 to 15 years ago), people who had flutes fully retro keyed by Maurice were happy. I can't recall which living in Ireland maker offered a retrofitting of keys, but I seem to recall one of them did (was it Hammy with his pin mounted keys?). I think it's safer than you think...Maurice knows what he is doing.

Eric
pmcallis
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by pmcallis »

I second Jayhawk's comments. Maurice Reviol is yer man.
regards,
Paul
Conical bore

Post by Conical bore »

If it were me and I had sufficient funds to do anything I wanted, I'd keep the treasured flute as a keyless model and explore other keyed flutes that might give similar satisfaction.

The main reason is the paranoia factor with keyed flutes. I'm always a little suspicious of potential leaks with my 8-keyed Aebi, which sounds fantastic but it has a slightly squirrely Cnat key pad. I've done my own replacement of that pad but it probably needs a stronger spring, and I don't have another flute to play if I send this one out for repair. Even the tiniest leak somewhere will affect the clarity of tone, so while I feel that I do need keys, it's always a background consideration to make sure everything seals up well.

If I had a keyless flute that sounded great, that's why I'd be reluctant to start modifying it for keys, on the off chance that eventually I'd be facing issues detrimental to the tone. I'd just look for a new keyed flute to try. If you do go for a retrofit, I've seen enough recommendations for Reviol that this seems to be the way to go.
GreenWood
Tell us something.: To add to the renaissance flute discussion that is under way. Well, the rest of this field is going to be taken up by a long sentence, which is this one, because a hundred characters are needed before it is accepted.

Post by GreenWood »

I would not change the original, I would have an exact replica made but with keys. That would depend on if it was affordable though for you. That way you could play the reproduction keyless first to see it sounded the same as original, then with keys to note any difference. If there wasn't any difference I still would not add keys to the original... there would not be a real need to apart from sentiment, but then adding keys would be altering the sentiment of the original flute anyway.
an seanduine

Post by an seanduine »

Conical bore, check your pm´s.

Bob
Not everything you can count, counts. And not everything that counts, can be counted

The Expert's Mind has few possibilities.
The Beginner's mind has endless possibilities.
Shunryu Suzuki, Roshi