Introducing Myself

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Medibrew
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I am not (yet) a serious flute player, but I have two Radoslav Pakalev kavals, and I studied kaval for a time. Over the past few years, I have done a number of searches on this forum, and I have found it super informative. I am starting to think about switching from kaval to Irish flute. Somehow, that made me conclude that it's time to join the forum officially.

Introducing Myself

Post by Medibrew »

Hello! I'm new here, and thought I'd introduce myself. I play tin whistle at a beginner/intermediate level. I used to play the Bulgarian kaval, but I haven't kept up with that. Now that I have a daughter who is learning to play Irish accordion, I'm thinking about swapping out my kavals and getting a simple system flute, likely one made by Casey Burns. Internet research into what flute to get is what first brought me here. I've already learned a lot by lurking on this forum, so thanks for that! Nice to meet you all.

Danny
TxWhistler
Tell us something.: I have recently retired and have always wanted to learn to play a musical instrument. I'm leaning to play the whistle and now the flute.

Re: Introducing Myself

Post by TxWhistler »

Welcome to the forum Medibrew.

I think you will find learning to play the Irish flute a challenging but very rewarding endeavor. At least that is what I have found as I attempt to learn to play it. Best wishes on your journey!
Medibrew
Tell us something.: I am not (yet) a serious flute player, but I have two Radoslav Pakalev kavals, and I studied kaval for a time. Over the past few years, I have done a number of searches on this forum, and I have found it super informative. I am starting to think about switching from kaval to Irish flute. Somehow, that made me conclude that it's time to join the forum officially.

Post by Medibrew »

Thank you, TxWhistler!

I'm looking forward to the struggles!
PB+J
Tell us something.: I'm a historian and the author of "The Beat Cop:Chicago's Chief O'Neill and the Creation of Irish Music," published by the University of Chicago in 2022. I live in Arlington VA and play the flute sincerely but not well

Post by PB+J »

Hello!

I've been struggling seriously with the flute for maybe four years now, maybe a little less. I won't pretend it's been easy, and while it's frustrating, it's rewarding too. Generally when I get one thing together something else goes to hell. Like I get a good tone, but my rolls fall part, so I work on the rolls, and then suddenly I'm making all these awful groaning and grunting throat noises. So I work on that..... Some days I'm ok and some just awful. I'm at the level where I can think a little more about music and less about just getting through the tune, but it's been a rocky road
fatmac
Tell us something.: Kickbiker - at over 70!
:lol:

Post by fatmac »

Welcome aboard. :)

I too, like keyless flute (& piccolo), they have a great sound/tone, but I don't practice enough..... :D
Keith.
Trying to do justice to my various musical instruments.
Steampacket
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Steampacket »

Welcome to the flute forum Danny.
BKWeid
Tell us something.: I really enjoy the information and experience from the members on this forum. I've learned so much from the long time members about ITM, flutes, and whistles in general. I also enjoy the humor and culture. Instrument reviews have been helpful and the posts on embouchure are priceless. As I generally don't get out to sessions, the information from this board is my only connection at times to the music.

Post by BKWeid »

Danny, welcome. The flute is a wonderful endeavor. Challenging and expressive. You’re going to enjoy your journey.
Medibrew

Post by Medibrew »

Thank you for the warm welcome, everyone! I'm finally ALMOST ready to place an order for a flute. I can feel it coming...today or tomorrow for sure! I just seeking a little advice (in another post) before I seal the deal and a flute starts making its way toward me. (Or maybe I'm just looking for a little reassurance before I take the plunge.)

I can't wait!

Thanks
Danny