Looking for a fife

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
JDbassplayer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I am mostly a tin whistle and fife player looking to learn more. I also play clarinet, saxophone and a bit of flute and oboe.

Looking for a fife

Post by JDbassplayer »

Currently learning the fife and I've gone as far as I can with the cheap $20 maple fife I'm currently using. I'm looking for a fife with a traditional look but with all the modern features like a cutout in front of the embouchure hole to help the 3rd register and a conical bore to help tuning. I'm currently looking at the "Stealth" and "Constitution" models from WD Sweet but I'd also also like to learn about other makers. My main concern is playability in the 3rd octave. I will consider 2 piece models but ideally I'd like a 1 piece. Does anyone have experience with the fifes from WD Sweet, Musique Morneaux and other fife makers? I'd love to hear your thoughts.
jim_mc
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm a New York native who gradually slid west and landed in the Phoenix area. I like riding on the back seat of a tandem bicycle. I like dogs and have three of them. I am a sometime actor and an all the time teacher, husband, and dad.

Re: Looking for a fife

Post by jim_mc »

Most of the fifes that have conical bores are two piece, like the Morneau and the Cooperman versions of the McDonagh fife. Healy fifes have a parabolic bore, but are also two-piece. Any of these fifes will play well in the third octave. I mostly play a 50ish year old McDonagh fife made by Roy Seaman, and when I need something that fits in with a Civil War group, a Model F (cylindrical bore). I also have a one-piece cylindrical bore fife made by Ron Peeler. All of these are great fifes and they all play well into the third octaves. The McDonagh plays a full three octaves. If you really want a traditional look and modern construction, though, Walt Sweet is your guy. I've played the Stealth fife and it's great. I don't think anyone else is doing what Walt does with a one-piece, traditional appearing fife.
Say it loud: B flat and be proud!
I.D.10-t

Re: Looking for a fife

Post by I.D.10-t »

I have a Healy five with a cut out and a Firth and Pond style Peeler fife. I find the Peeler is easier to play in the 3rd register, but it is aslo the one I play more.

If you want to eventually play with other fifers, you'll probably want to check out what they play.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."