Shipping to Europe

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Yogifluter
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Shipping to Europe

Post by Yogifluter »

Hi all:

Any advice for shipping a flute from the US to Europe for repair? US mail? DHL? FedEx?

Thanks!
Flutern
Tell us something.: I have a keen interest in wooden flutes (modern and antique), early music (Renaissance, Baroque), Romantic music and Irish Traditional Music of course! I also play the clarinet (my first instrument) and I've also started learning the cittern.

Re: Shipping to Europe

Post by Flutern »

I had a bad experience with the US branch of DHL. Abysmal communication... I'd rather ship my flute on a donkey's back than use this company again...

I haven't had any problem with fedex ( yet).
Hofstadter's Law: It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law.
macuaig
Tell us something.: Played recorders at an intermediate level several decades ago, trumpet years before that. Exploring whistles, piano and guitar these days.

Post by macuaig »

I tried shipping a defective Wild whistle back to McNeela last year through the USMail (using their label, but I had to pay). That’s generally recommended as a traceable and reliable method, which hands off to the local An Post in Ireland.

HUGE mistake, since An Post kicked it back after 7 weeks with no explanation. After chasing it down, it turns out you have to know that An Post has magical reporting paperwork (not customs) that had to be submitted for returned commercial goods. And instead of sending a postcard, or using my contact info from the US shipment, An Post just mailed the whole thing it back to me. Thanks for nothing.

The shipment cost more than a third of the price of the whistle, so I told McNeela I didn’t appreciate the game and wouldn’t bother playing again. Be careful. (Yes, I’m still pissed.)
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

I would use U.S. Priority Mail (which is somewhat trackable), & complete a Customs Form & absolutely specify that the flute is merchandise being returned for repair. You do not want the recipient charged duty or any customs fees by not being clear about that. Describe the wood used, indicate if silver for rings, slide. Hopefully no ivory or horn - that might require wildlife permits. Include documentation, perhaps also a letter to the receiver with instructions, within the package.
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
macuaig
Tell us something.: Played recorders at an intermediate level several decades ago, trumpet years before that. Exploring whistles, piano and guitar these days.

Post by macuaig »

First Class International is what the USPS recommends, and what I sent, with customs declaration and “Returned Goods” specified with “Whistle for refund” noted. But in Ireland, this will transfer it to An Post and so hit their additional paperwork.

So sending back to Ireland, I’d avoid the USPS in any capacity, if only to keep it away from An Post.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

macuaig wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 10:29 pm So sending back to Ireland, I’d avoid the USPS in any capacity, if only to keep it away from An Post.
For the sake of some balance, another experience : At the receiving end of packages sent from all over the world I have to say An Post have never given me any trouble. In fact I find them very reliable. Surprisingly quick and efficient, even through a pandemic. Delivery usually one day after arriving in the country and without hassle, or charges, from customs (at least for items sent to me).
My brain hurts

macuaig

Post by macuaig »

He is sending not receiving, as was I.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

My packages didn't emerge from thin air you know, people at the other end stuck my name and address on the packages, left them at a postoffice and had them arrive without hassle. Time and again.
I was just trying for a balanced view without the grudge you seem to carry. Never had any negative experience with An Post.
My brain hurts

stiofan
Tell us something.: I've been a C&Fer since 2003. Currently playing wooden flute & (mainly low) whistles, along with the bowed dulcimer.

Post by stiofan »

I'm sending a flute to England tomorrow. Wish me (it) luck. :o
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

This was an outlier - not at all typical. Must have gotten lost or hijacked on a train:

I shipped a Wooden Flute Obsession CD (1 volume only) to Finland on March 16 by USPS International First Class. Just cleared Miami yesterday. 5-6 weeks and still hasn't left the U.S.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

This was an outlier - not at all typical.
But not entirely unique: I had something similar happen, albeit during the first lockdown of 2020. I had bought a new/old stock Paddy Cronin lp from someone in California. It took over four weeks to even get out of California, remained in a USPS distribution centre for some time, was eventually scanned into another facility in Colorado and there tracking ended. Several weeks later I found the package sitting on my windowsill. Took at least 9 weeks.
My brain hurts

chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

kkrell wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 9:29 pm This was an outlier - not at all typical. Must have gotten lost or hijacked on a train:

I shipped a Wooden Flute Obsession CD (1 volume only) to Finland on March 16 by USPS International First Class. Just cleared Miami yesterday. 5-6 weeks and still hasn't left the U.S.
I sent a whistle to someplace in Europe a year or two ago. From here, all USPS shipments to Europe go through a facility in Jamaica Queens (part of NYC). It got stuck, and the customer checked the tracking after maybe 3 weeks. The place was just called "Jamaica" on the tracking, so the customer thought something had gone horribly wrong and the whistle had made it to the Caribbean. We had a good laugh once I explained.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
kkrell

Post by kkrell »

kkrell wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 9:29 pm This was an outlier - not at all typical. Must have gotten lost or hijacked on a train:

Today it's at JFK Int'l in New York.
Yogifluter

Post by Yogifluter »

I ended up using FedEx. Cost a fortune. Promised delivery in 4 days but it was a week longer than that thanks to customs, and thanks, I suspect, to FedEx's incompetence. Local FedEx seemed to have no clue about what the flute would face at the other end. I have a FedEx account number but they didn't asked for it, and I paid with a credit card. Turns out that duty gets billed to your FedEx account number, which I figured out, so I called them to give them the number. FedEx will only insure up to $1,000, which doesn't even cover the value of most keyless flutes, but at least I only had to pay duty on that amount and not the flute's real value. In the end, the flute did make it but I wouldn't call myself a satisfied FedEx customer.

Good luck, Kevin!

Tim
Flutern
Tell us something.: I have a keen interest in wooden flutes (modern and antique), early music (Renaissance, Baroque), Romantic music and Irish Traditional Music of course! I also play the clarinet (my first instrument) and I've also started learning the cittern.

Post by Flutern »

Yogifluter wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 11:43 am I ended up using FedEx. Cost a fortune. Promised delivery in 4 days but it was a week longer than that thanks to customs, and thanks, I suspect, to FedEx's incompetence. Local FedEx seemed to have no clue about what the flute would face at the other end. I have a FedEx account number but they didn't asked for it, and I paid with a credit card. Turns out that duty gets billed to your FedEx account number, which I figured out, so I called them to give them the number. FedEx will only insure up to $1,000, which doesn't even cover the value of most keyless flutes, but at least I only had to pay duty on that amount and not the flute's real value. In the end, the flute did make it but I wouldn't call myself a satisfied FedEx customer.

Good luck, Kevin!

Tim
Sorry to hear that (especially since I kind of suggested FedEx :oops: ). But I don't understand why you had to pay duties since you were the sender. :-?
Hofstadter's Law: It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law.