Review: Phil Bleazey Rudall-Rose style boxwood flute in D

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
chas
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Review: Phil Bleazey Rudall-Rose style boxwood flute in D

Post by chas »

Some time ago, I posted a message seeking comments on Bleazey flutes, but received no response. So I bought one. I’d heard rumors of spotty quality in Phil’s products, but had had good experiences with him and his whistles myself.

Please take this review with a grain of salt. I have a few years experience with the whistle, and consider myself a good intermediate-level whistle player, but I’m a rank novice flute player. My wife and I have between us, though, several wooden flutes: a nach Meyer 6-key blackwood; a Casey Burns blackwood; a Sweet walking-stick walnut; a Thin Weasel cocobolo; an antique English 4-key boxwood; an antique Mollenhauer 6-key (I think it’s boxwood, but it’s a little darker).

I’ve been dabbling in flute for 3-4 years, and playing casually for maybe 16 months, since we got the Weasel. I’ve been looking for a flute that I can play and get a good sound out of in both octaves for some period of time (greater than 5 minutes). I found a very good fit in the Mollenhauer, but the intonation is just not quite right, plus the keys can get in the way. The Schultz is a wonderful instrument, but I have to blow my brains out to get a decent sound from it in the second octave. That’s why I wanted to get a good, modern, Rudall-style flute. I also prefer the sound of boxwood to anything else I’ve played.

I asked Phil for an easy blower with a good bottom, especially the E note, which I’ve found is weak on flutes and whistles with small holes. (In the tradition of most craftsmen I’ve dealt with, he said that all of his flutes are like that.) He had two boxwood flutes in stock, one plain and one that was acid stained. I took the natural. It arrived a scant week after I placed the order, and would have been sooner had my credit card company not given him a hard time.

The flute is plain – straight lines, no flares, the fittings are brass, as is the slide. He said he’s silver-plating all the metal now. The fit and finish are good but not perfect. You’ll never confuse it with an $1100 flute, but then it cost $372 (223 pounds) including shipping from the UK to the US. The holes are small as advertised, and there’s a joint between the hands. The bore is somewhat more tapered than most flutes. The bore diameter at the head is 1-2 mm greater than the Schultz or Burns, but the end is 1-2 mm narrower. It feels heavier than the other Irish flutes, but actually weighs about the same, a scant 10 ounces. I suspect it’s the greater diameter that makes it feel heavier. The embouchure hole is about the same dimension in the blow direction as the other two, but about 1 mm narrower along the length of the flute.

It is an absolute dream to play. I can get good sound out of it from the bottom at least up to the third-octave G (except the high E – any suggestions on fingerings? I’ve tried XXO XXO and several other variations). I can play in the second octave without running out of air every measure. It’s perfectly in tune with the slide out about 1/4" (6 mm), although the top notes in the second octave like to have the sixth hole covered.

It is a bit limited in the range of tonal qualities. I can get a reasonably pure sound out of it, and can dirty it up a little bit, but it has nowhere near the versatility of the Schultz. My wife, who has a lot more experience playing flute than I do, has pointed this out, too. The sound is very full – full of overtones, but still clear, and it has really good volume. It also has that warm, smooth sound that I like in boxwood.

All in all, I’m extremely pleased with it. I doubt it will be my go-to flute for the rest of my life, but it’s exactly what I’m looking for right now. I think my playing has improved more in the couple of weeks that I’ve had it than it had in a few months preceding. Its so much easier to play and I sound so much better playing it that I am practicing a lot more. I'll be sticking exclusively to it for quite some time.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Jayhawk
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

Congratulations on you new flute! I agree that a flute you sound good on leads you to want to practice a lot more than something you're not sounding as good on. That's a great price for a boxwood flute with a slide, too.
kevin m.
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by kevin m. »

Hi Chas,
Congrats on the new flute! I'm pleased that you are enjoying it.Boxwood does have a nice mellow sound(I recommend Joe Burke's 'The Tailor's choice' album,if you want to hear some lovely airs played on an 1840's Rudall Boxwood flute).Phil Bleazey's prices are certainly keen- I see that his website has been updated a little since my last visit there.Some interesting products(note to self; Kevin, you DO NOT need another flute!! :lol: ).
"I blame it on those Lead Fipples y'know."
Pan

Post by Pan »

Congrats Chas,

you make me lust very hard for my flute I´ve ordered from McGee.
Very similar to yours i guess, a R&R keyless D in boxwood :-)

wait... wait.. wait... puh!

/Peter
drummerboy

Post by drummerboy »

Good to hear that you have a flute you are happy with. Nothing is more frustrating than having an instrument that you are not totaly happy with. Patrick called me on friday and said that my Boxwood pratten with slide and rings was ready. I have had a smile on my face for the last three days. Good luck with the flute.
ChrisLaughlin

Post by ChrisLaughlin »

Speaking of flute lust.... only 17 more days until my keyed Grinter is in my hands.... my precious, yes, come to me my precious....
Chris
chas

Post by chas »

Good for you Chris. We have about 15 months left for an 8-key Grinter. Not counting the days yet, but I'll start to in about a year.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
WoodsonIrishMusic

Boxwood flute

Post by WoodsonIrishMusic »

:party: Great! I love my Casey Burns keyles Boxwood. Don
Been playing whistles since September 2002. and Irish flute since March 2003.
chas

Post by chas »

This is just a very brief update. I had my first lesson today, from a very good local (Wash. DC area) flute player. I had him play the Bleazey and he remarked how easy a flute it is to play and what a nice, warm tone it has. He also agreed that it'll never be an Irish session flute. I was glad that a really good and experienced flute player validated my impression of it.

This was great experience, BTW -- no magic bullet that turned me into a great flute player, but a number of insights and a few exercises that will help me improve faster than I would have. Plus, the accountability of wanting to improve noticeably every two weeks will do wonders for me.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods