Musical Instrument Insurance

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Chadd
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Musical Instrument Insurance

Post by Chadd »

The recent theft of Gabriel McKeagney's pipes has reminded me that I should buy an insurance policy specifically for my pipes and other instruments.
Would anyone care to share recommendations and experiences with various companies and policies?

Thanks!
Tony
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

Chadd, much of it might be common sense.
TAKE LOTS OF CLEAR PICTURES OF YOUR PIPES. Put the pictures in a safe place. The same goes for receipts... make several copies.

Call your insurance agent (household insurance) and ask lots of 'stupid questions' especially DEDUCTABLES and exclusions to your homeowners (or renters) policy. Some policies cover contents but only if the place is vandalized, most have really high deductables just to keep premiums low. See if there are any problems with instruments... especially rare ones or antiques. If your pipes have real ivory, you might have problems with 'exact replacement' policies.
Of you're daring enough you might have your name engraved on the pipes... in several places. Check with your pipemaker first. There are many jewlers, award or plaque makers that do engraving, get quotes... specify it's a musicial instrument and requires great care.

Call around to a few music stores and see if they have recommendations for instrument insurance policies. Check with the local musicians union... professionals often get preffered rates with low deductables.

Call the police to see what they recommend as far acceptable identification (name, address, social security number, etc.)

Back in Feb of 2002, Kynch O'Kaine posted to the Listserv Uilleann forum about musicial instrument insurance. He mentioned Clarion Insurance. a subsidiary of Sun Alliance.
tel # 1.800.VIVALDI
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
elbogo

Post by elbogo »

I suspect this coverage may be a lot like camera equipment. Covered in the home, but not when travelling... without a much higher premium to be paid. One must remember to ask about coverage outside the home as well.
WallyS

Instrument Insurance

Post by WallyS »

There is another organization called "National Musical Instrument Insurance" <http://www.heritage-ins-services.com/national.htm> that
also covers Uilleann Pipes. There are different coverage options, including theft, transit, fire/flood/earthquakes and the like. One can get a quote by calling them at 800-289-8837.
Lorenzo

Post by Lorenzo »

And of course don't forget the best insurance...carefulness. Good locks, good safe storage places, not leaving your pipes unattended. :) Wonder if they make small reliable alarms.
Chadd

Post by Chadd »

kkrell wrote:On-line:

Clarion http://www.clarionins.com/

MusicPro http://www.musicproinsurance.com/

Kevin Krell
I actually tried to get a policy with MusicPro back in December because I was getting ready for a relocation with a moving company. I wanted the extra coverage, and they offered a discount for ASCAP members, which is where I found out about them.

I sent them a list of my instruments and they gave me a qoute. The next day I got word that a couple of guitars I had on consignment had sold, so I asked MusicPro for a updated quote removing the guitars from the policy. The new premium was higher than the old one, so I asked for a confirmation and never heard back from them again. I thought to myself, if I'm having this much trouble giving them money, what can I expect if I ever have to file a claim with them? I lost confidence and dropped the idea. The move to L.A. went fine, then I got lazy thinking that they would be covered by my renter's insurance. But, they are not covered if I take them out of the house, so I'd like something that travels with them.

I'll look into Clarion and National Musical Instrument Insurance. Thanks for the help!
boyd
Tell us something.: Sets in D and B by Rogge and flute by Olwell, whistles by Burke and Goldie. I have been a member for a very long time here. Thanks for reading.

Post by boyd »

Thought I'd resurrect this topic and ship it across the Atlantic........

Anyone got a recommendation for a UK or Eire-based instrument insurance??
I am travelling with the pipes more and more, UK and Eire, and even take them to other bits of Europe at times, so my household insurance won't cover me.

[Uilliam...you've had insurance?]

Boyd
maw

Post by maw »

Hi Boyd
Try B.B.I.S.
312 High St
Harlington
Hayes
Middlesex
UB3 5BT
020 8759 0825 e-mail: brassbands@bryanjames.co.uk

I've used these for years and they cover all acoustic intstruments thru Norwich Union. They are pretty good, just had a repair done to some smallpipes, no problem at all. :)
The Mechanoids will obey the DALEKS... or be exterminated!!!
david.b

Post by david.b »

Boyd,
The House insurance that I use(Saga) covers musical instruments any where in the world up to a value of £5000 as part of the normal house contents cover. Yours might do so but in a section for specified items. They exclude cover for reeds!!

David
Uilliam

Post by Uilliam »

boyd wrote:Thought I'd resurrect this topic and ship it across the Atlantic........

Anyone got a recommendation for a UK or Eire-based instrument insurance??

[Uilliam...you've had insurance?]
Boyd
But Boyd...this is not a technique related topic!!!! :o

I used to insure through the Musicians Union but that scheme folded so I got it through my household insurance...its at a maximum of £3000 per item in or out of the wee hoose...I 'll have to increase it at renewal time,but it does cover travel etc,not sure if its European or worldwide but as I aint planning to go outside o Europe anyways its academic.

Slan Go Foill
Uilliam
Harry

Post by Harry »

Uilliam wrote:
But Boyd...this is not a technique related topic!!!! :o
Ahh, remember the connectedness of all things!

If I came across a cocksure (and probably celebrated) young piper blowing flash, post modernist, stuttering sh*t out the ends of a pristine set of 8,000 quid or so pipes then I might be liable to jump on his throat, then the set, then anyone else who ticks me off... :devil: :devil: :devil:

This simple matter of technique (or lack of) then quickly ushers in fundamental questions of law, culpability (I, of course, would be completely in the right) and insurance.

Happens all the time in Dublin.

Regards,

Harry.
AlanB
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by AlanB »

Boyd,

If you're not already, join the MU and make use of their special offers..

Harry,

Just when are you playing at the Cobblestones?? How much for a front row? And how can I wash out the bloodstains?

Alan
oleorezinator
Tell us something.: I love uilleann pipes I love tin whistles I love flutes I love irish music I love concertinas I love bodhrans

Post by oleorezinator »

the american federation of musicians offered instrument insurance to members once upon a time. since members were playing gigs, stuff outside of the house was covered.
Information is not knowledge.
Knowledge is not wisdom.
Wisdom is not truth.
Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love.
Love is not music. Music is the best.
- Frank Zappa
L42B

Talking About Insurance

Post by L42B »

This might be difficult for those out side of Australia to answer. My pipes from Ian should be arriving either Friday or Monday :party: . That's if the cheque was cleared sucesfully by the bank yesturday :roll: (and Ian get's to town before 5:00pm this afternoon :wink:); maybe I'm being to hopefull with so many variables :D.

I've got home insurance for my Smallpipes and will be taking home insurance out on the Uilleann Pipes. I was also wondering about taking out travell insurance for both instruments. Who do you think is most reliable with making a claim. Most helpfull and offers the best deal.

Cheers L42B :)

PS Ian took out postage insurance, so myself and Ian are coverred if anything happens while their in transit.