Just starting (in many ways)

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Bravo6
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Bravo6 »

I am not a musician. I am interested in the whistle because I am creating a character for Civil War reenacting and thought that being able to play was "in character".

I am looking for sources of authentic period reproductions of whistles as well as sources of period music a non-professional would play.

I am sorry if this information is mentioned in other posts and I am covering old stuff.

Any assistance in any area is greatly appreciated. Also looking for whistlers in the St. Louis area.

Thanks,
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

Hi 6,

A fife would really be the correct instrument for an American Civil War re-enactment group, particularly if you intend to play while marching.

However, I suspect they're devilishly difficult to play, and very shrill if practised indoors; indeed there is a danger of damaging your hearing (so wear earplugs if you get one).

I've seen wooden Fifes in "The Whistle Shop", if you want to get one of those.

The Clarke's D Giftset (Whistle, Book & Tape) contains several tunes that mimic the sound of the fife and were popular at the time of the Civil War. The whistle has been manufactured since 1843, so it would have been around in the Civil War.

I don't think you'll find another cheap tinwhistle that has been in manufacture since the Civil War.

Another possible instrument for you might be a tabor, which has fewer holes, and is played with one hand, the other being free to bang a drum.

As you probably know, the whistle is just about the easiest instument for a non-musician to pick up and play, and highly recommended for the sheer fun-value alone.

all the best with whatever you go for,

Martin
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that schwing
rebl_rn
antispam: No

Post by rebl_rn »

Welcome Bravo!

I too started playing the whistle for re-enacting, and now I don't re-enact any more but I still whistle!

As far as an authentic whistle, Clarke's were obviously around during that time, and that's what I played. I'm sure there are others that at least LOOK authentic, but I'm blessed that I suffer only a minor case of WhOA so that's not my area. I agree that the fife would be more authentic if you are marching with others, but I think the whistle is very authentic if you're just planning to play by yourself while killing time in camp. Especially if your persona is Irish.

As far as songs/tunes, I don't even know where to start. Do you have any of Bobby Horton's recordings? He has several that are "Songs of the USA 1861-1865" and several "Songs of the CSA 1861-1865" (just pick your side). They are all songs from the period (maybe with one or two exceptions, that he is quick to point out). They are also done with more or less authentic instrumentation of the period, with whistle on several tunes. Jim Taylor also has a few recordings with authentic pieces, and there are a lot of local re-enacting bands/groups that have recordings out there of the songs of the time.

If you're looking for sheet music, there are lots of books out there too - just check the sutlers next time you're in camp and I bet they have several.

Just about any traditional Celtic tune would be authentic to the time.
Good luck and have fun!

Beth

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: rebl_rn on 2001-10-23 10:14 ]</font>
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

http://www.acws.co.uk/

is a UK based American Civil War enactment society, with a whole bunch of songs with full words & music you can hear on the net, if not the sheet music. Plus the songs are split for the Confederate South/Federal North/either side - you don't say which side you're on!

Anyway, that would be a good place to start for songs, and if you can sing them, you can probably play them on a Whistle.

all the best, Martin
Bravo6

Post by Bravo6 »

Thanks for the replies. Perhaps more info about my "character". I am a former Cavalry officer so I was interested in something other than marching :wink:

My major in college was fine arts (drawing and painting) with a journalism minor. My Father was Canadian and the family was in the Bruce mines area in Ontario during the Civil War. All that said....

My character is a Upper Canadian journalist with the Toronto Globe. I have been sent to cover the conflict from both sides since over 50,000 Upper Canadians fought in the war for both the Union and Confederacy.

My intent is to use the whistle at the camp around the fire. No marching or bands.. just a lonely Canadian far from home trying to find comfort in old tunes and learning new ones from the troops.

A note to Beth. I grew up in north west Illinois and love the countryside in your part of Wisconsin.
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

http://www.graingerworld.co.uk/dbe/sbs/usa008.html

is the site for an American Civil War Songbook. Sounds pretty detailed to me, but it's not my era.

Alas I know even less about Canadian Songs of the time, and the one site I've found is modern - Bryan Adams & so forth.

cheers, Martin
PhilO

Post by PhilO »

I too was a reenacter briefly with Duryea's 5th NY Zouaves, although I did not whistle as part of that. Generally, in addition to Clarkes, probably anything in materials common to the time (wood, for example)would do - no plastics or space age fipples, etc.
ndjr

Post by ndjr »

On 2001-10.23 10:39, Bravo6 wrote:
My intent is to use the whistle at the camp around the fire. No marching or bands.. just a lonely Canadian far from home trying to find comfort in old tunes and learning new ones from the troops.
I've been a Civil War reenactor for years, and a fifer for most of that time. I also took up the pennywhistle -- a Clarke Original, in D -- to play around the campfire. Clarke also makes an Original in C, but the breath requirements are immense and the breath pressure is very low so it is difficult to play. These whistles are apparently very close to the design Clarke was making in the 1840s.

One word of advice: The wooden fipples on Clarke whistles are made of very porous wood. They will shrink and loosen with play, and the grain can also "raise" in the windway causing further problems. I solved my difficulties by soaking the fipple end of the whistle in mineral oil from the drugstore overnight, and then standing it in a corner on a paper towel to drain. The oiled wood is more stable, and the instrument gives better tone. Repeat as needed.

There were a great many Irish in the armies of both sides, some Scots as well, and I agree with the earlier poster who said that just about anything Irish that could be traced back that far would be fine. I think that you'll find that many fife tunes are of Celtic origin as well. There are some books, "Songs of the Civil War" is one, and "Songs the Soldiers Sang" is another, which are collections of popular tunes of your era of interest. My local public library has copies of both. You may have to transpose the music, because most of it is in a "singing" key.

An earlier poster mentioned that the fife could be difficult to learn, and I agree -- especially without instruction, and it is hard to find. Its note is penetrating, but with improved skill it is not harsh. The really difficult part is that many very popular songs go well up into the third register. It can take three to five years of work to be able to reach those notes, and longer than that to do it gracefully. If you do get a fife, <i><strong>AVOID</strong></i> the inexpensive maplewood fifes many sutlers sell at reenactments, or which are offered by museums. These are souvenirs, not musical instruments, and you'll blow your brains out before you'll be able to blow the thing well enough to sound decently. I know whereof I speak -- I started with one! :wink: Do yourself a favor and get a decent instrument to start with.
Best regards,

Neil Dickey
Mark_J

Post by Mark_J »

Disclaimer: I have no experience as a re-enactor and little knowledge of re-enacting.

When I was at Valley Forge Nat'l Monument/Park, their museaum had American Revolution period articles (over 80 years earlier than what you are doing) that included a tin whistle that was carried by an Colonial soldier that would fit the bill for what you are looking for. It looked very much like the Clarke, but identical to the horid "Williamsburg whistle" found on E-Bay. I purchased one actually in Williamsburg for $5 and not the $12 to $20 that you will find on E-bay (with the high quality multi-lingual instruction page). It is a horrible thing with monumental air requirements, poor tuning, a saliva thirsty fipple plug. Mine met its demise with tin snips in a prelude to my short lived whistle construction phase. The Clarke originals are nice and I might suggest buying the unpaited model. All of the new painted models have fonts that look very modern.

There is a tweak by placing a credit card sliver in the wind way as a spacer and smashing the top of the wind way flat. That tweak greatly reduces the wind requirements of the whistle. I don't know what it sounds like as I also messed with the blade and ruined the whistle. Note, leave the blade be if you like sounds from your whistle, or have plenty of whistles on hand to experiment on.

For what it was worth. . .
nickb

Post by nickb »

Hi Bravo. Sometimes on Ebay old 19th century falgeolettes come up for sale. It looks kind of like a wooden piccolo body with a whistle windway and a bagpipe practise chanter mouthpiece. They look to be fingered same as a modern whistle. Otherwise a clarke traditional whistle should fit right in. They've been around since way before the war 'twixt the no'th and sooth.
brewerpaul
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

Not a period instrument, but a Shaw whistle looks pretty old fashioned. Unpainted tinplate, in a Clarke-like design, but plays a lot better. I'm told you can also get unpainted Clarkes.
Check Ralph Sweet for authentic fifes ( see the high end whistle page of C&F )
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

Slightly Getting off the thread, but I prefer my Clarke D to my Shaw D any day.

The Shaw does have a nice "I made this myself in the shed, ain't it purdy?" look, but I only have the two lungs to blow with & I think mine was designed with a bellows attachment in mind. <grin> The air requirement on the Clarke, while higher than some, is at least comfortable.

Guess it shows how variable the quality control is on many cheaper whistles.

The "Natural" Clarke would be unpainted, and look better in your context, Bravo, or you could dull out the goldy bits on the "Original" with a magic marker to get an all black Whistle. Or buy them both (WhOA buy). I do not own shares in Clarke's Whistles, honest.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

I have an unpainted Clarke D which
looks very 19th century. Also The
Whistle Shop sells tweaked Clarke Ds,
and might be able to get you an unpainted
one. There is a fair amount of variation
among Clarke Ds, so a tweaked whistle
would get you something dependable.

There are so many 19th and 18th century folk
songs, eg. Barbry Allen,
anything by Steve Foster e.g. Oh Susanna,
Yankee Doodle, The Battle of New Orleans
(also known as the 8th of January...),
Endearing Young Charms...
It shouldn't be hard to get an authentic
repertoire to play around the camp
fire.

See the main menu, under places to buy
whistles over the internet, for
a link to The Whistle Shop.
Bravo6

Post by Bravo6 »

Thanks for all the help. I tried contacting Clarke's directly and found their email was inoperative. I came back to request a source and.... wait for it..... you had already answered my question before I could ask it!

My practice is comming along... and I am enjoying the experience completely... I think I will be a regular here and flirt with WhOA!! :wink:
Rob S

Post by Rob S »

Hi Bravo,

I am not a reenactor, but I also recommend unpainted Clarke original whistles for a Civil War period instrument. I would get at least one of each in both the keys of D and C. As mentioned above the breath requirements for the C is a little more, but I do not find it difficult, and it is nice to have more than one key. The painted Clarke original whistles are easier to find than unpainted ones, but I am not sure painted ones were around during the Civil War years, and the paint currently used I believe is a more modern enamel type paint.

There is another whistle available, which I have not tried so cannot vouch for, but I think it looks interesting and may be appropriate for the period. It is a brass whistle available from a Civil War period supplier called BlockadeRunner.com. They have all sorts of supplies that may be of interest to reenactors, including the brass penny whistles on page 29c of their catalog. They have 2 side blown whistles, and one end blown whistle. The catalog does not say what key they are in, but it does say they are about 15 inches long, so they are probably in Bb or A range. That would give you a lower key to enjoy in addition to the Clarke's. If you or anyone else tries one of these whistles, please let us know what you think.

They also have another whistle made of tin which I believe is made by Cooperman. I have tried Cooperman whistles before, and I would recommend getting Clarke whistles above a Cooperman. The Cooperman's are much more breathy thean the Clarke's, and I prefer the intonation of the Clarke's.

Rob S.