Andrea Corr's Tin Whistle

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Martin Milner
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Martin Milner »

I've been trying to identify the tin whistle Andrea Corr plays on stage.

I've only found one clear picture of her playing, and it looks to me like a Feadog, in Black, with a large gold label on it; the head is quite large, and though she probably has tiny teeny hands, the bore looks quite large & may be a C rather than a D.

Does anyone have a clearer notion of what she favours?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Martin Milner on 2001-11-01 07:26 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Martin Milner on 2001-11-01 10:54 ]</font>
Jens_Hoppe

Post by Jens_Hoppe »

There are people out there (you know who you are!) who are more, er, into Andrea Corr and the whistles she plays than me, but as far as I know she plays a Waltons Little Black Whistle.

God knows why... :smile:

Cheers,
Jens

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Jens_Hoppe on 2001-11-01 07:34 ]</font>
pixyy
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Just updating my profile after 16+ years of C&F membership. Sold most of my flutes, play the ones I still own and occasionally still enjoy coming here and read about flute related subjects.

Post by pixyy »

On 2001-11-01 07:34, Jens_Hoppe wrote:
...but as far as I know she plays a Waltons Little Black Whistle.

God knows why... :smile:
Because it fits her dress... :wink:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: pixyy on 2001-11-01 07:56 ]</font>
pixyy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Just updating my profile after 16+ years of C&F membership. Sold most of my flutes, play the ones I still own and occasionally still enjoy coming here and read about flute related subjects.

Post by pixyy »

Whistles, Jeroen, just stick to whistles...
Jens_Hoppe

Post by Jens_Hoppe »

... and a very nice dress it is too (he says, having recovered from nearly choking on his coffee).

Jeroen, you bad, bad boy!

:smile:

Jens
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

that's not a black whistle-- it's a microphone.... :smile:
Porridge

Post by Porridge »

that's not a black whistle-- it's a microphone.... :smile:
I don't care what it is, the subliminal image works just as well! This should definitely go in the new photo album forum! Oh goody!
garycrosby

Post by garycrosby »

Apparently, Miss Corr loses everything including her musical instruments so maybe she plays an LBW because its dirt-cheap :wink:

The is a comment an The Whistle Shop's website about Andrea Corr playing a Walton's LBW so maybe Thom has some actual information?
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

I've been studying my picture, & it is a LBW, thanks! I've just discovered that Ms. Corr is only 5"1' tall, about 150 centimetres, so even a LBW would look big in her hands. Wonder if she has ever tried a Low D? In fact, checking the Whistle Shop, it's the same picture they used.

In that picture, she's showing good wrist alignment for StewySmoot to emulate.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Martin Milner on 2001-11-01 10:53 ]</font>
tuaz

Post by tuaz »

I watched some concert of theirs on HBO and she was playing a Feadog [post-edit: mouthpc was green, not black]. Had 2 or 3 in a little tube hanging from her mike stand. Maybe she switched because it was more hardy? I can't think of any other reason she would want to change to a (ugh) Feadog.

Prior to watching the programme, I was only familiar with about 4 or 5 songs of theirs from watching music videos on tv.

Interesting -- they played 2 or 3 sets of Irish trad tunes (I'm assuming they were trad: wasn't familiar with the tunes). Of course they played it more pop-rock than anything else.

I have absolutely no idea if they learnt the stuff specially for their shows, or if they actually used to play the trad stuff in their family.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: tuaz on 2001-11-01 12:39 ]</font>
cj

Post by cj »

A friend of mine has some of their CDs. They do play a bit of trad (dunno how or when they learned it), but they mostly use Celtic touches to their rock-pop stuff. Overall, their music is enjoyable, if poppy, their harmony is tight (family harmony is hard to beat), and the diversity of instruments adds to their music. Plus the eye candy factor doesn't hurt. They do have a cool version of "Little Wing" (the old Jimi Hendrix song) with the Chieftains backing them up.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: cj on 2001-11-01 12:48 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: cj on 2001-11-01 12:51 ]</font>
WarrenF

Post by WarrenF »

Auckland concert October 14th - she only used one whistle and it was a bronze plated green plastic mouthpiece model. From 20 rows back it looked like a D but my attention wasn't on the model label.
Eldarion

Post by Eldarion »

I saw Andrea Corr play backup for Celine Dion on a Generation Bb whistle for the song "My Heart will go on" on some TV thingy. I think it was on "Pavarotti and Friends". But thats only for that occassion only. Othertimes I think she plays a Little Black.
raindog1970
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by raindog1970 »

On 2001-11-04 23:38, Eldarion wrote:
I saw Andrea Corr play backup for Celine Dion on a Generation Bb whistle for the song "My Heart will go on" on some TV thingy.
You're not the only person to make this observation, but isn't it odd that you can't play along with the CD using a Generation Bb?
It's played in the key of E on the CD, which requires a low E, a soprano A or a B natural.
Perhaps it's a studio editing trick, or maybe even a studio editing error... or maybe it's an attempt to drive whistle players crazy! :smile:
Regards,
Gary Humphrey

♪♣♫Humphrey Whistles♫♣♪

[Raindogs] The ones you see wanderin' around after a rain. Ones that can't find their way back home. See the rain washes off the scent off all the mail boxes and the lamposts, fire hydrants. – Tom Waits
Eldarion

Post by Eldarion »

The whistle used on the Titanic soundtrack is in key of A (alto). I think it may be that Andrea Corr didn't have an A whistle thats why the song was sung with Bb whistle accompaniment. It should be plausable, since that means that Celion Dion only has to sing all the notes up a halfstep.