OT: cool edit help

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
aderyn_du
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

OT: cool edit help

Post by aderyn_du »

Hey all! I know several of you use Cool Edit, so I thought I'd check to see if someone might be able to help me. I keep having a problem with it skipping-- sometimes when I record something and then play it back, there are places where it sort of hops and skips around. Rather frustrating, especially when I've got it sounding just the way I want it to but have to redo it. :roll: Are there settings that I need to change before recording again, or is there editing I can do to fix the recording I've already got?

I'm running Cool Edit Pro v. 2.00, on Windows XP.

Best,
Andrea
Ridseard
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Ridseard »

I have Cool Edit 2000. On my version the relevant info is in:

Help > Search for Help On... > Troubleshooting > Answers to Common Questions > When I record (or play), I hear skipping and dropouts. What can I do to eliminate this?

The main recommendation is to adjust the buffer size. Hope this helps.
raindog1970
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by raindog1970 »

Sounds like your computer is being overworked... can you play back MP3 files without experiencing the same problem?
If this is the case, Ridseard's advice is really all you can do to try and lessen the skippipng... or upgrade your computer! ;)
The only other thing I could recommend is making certain that your sound card drivers are properly installed and are the most recent version.
I'm a huge fan of Cool Edit Pro (now Adobe Audition), and wouldn't even think of using anything else for multi-track audio editing.
Regards,
Gary Humphrey

♪♣♫Humphrey Whistles♫♣♪

[Raindogs] The ones you see wanderin' around after a rain. Ones that can't find their way back home. See the rain washes off the scent off all the mail boxes and the lamposts, fire hydrants. – Tom Waits
aderyn_du
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by aderyn_du »

Thanks Ridseard and Raindog! I have tried adjusting the buffer before, it helps some but not completely. MP3s will play with no difficulties, so it's got to be something with my 'puter and the program. I'll keep playing with it and see what happens! :)

Best,
Andrea
Music melts all the separate parts of our bodies together. ~Anais Nin