Whistle in Scottish music

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Wayne
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Wayne »

I am new to this site, and message board, and I really don't play the whistle yet, although I am planning to buy one. I am interested to know if there is much of a whistle presence in scottish music. Yes, I know that the difference is not large and that all forms can be played on whistle, but nonetheless all I have heard about here and elsewhere is Irish music and whistles. Also, please do not confuse me with Wayne the whistling Rodent. He is a Ground Hog, and I (sadly) am not. I do, however, live near Wiarton Ontario, home of the world-famous weather predicting albino ground hog, Willie.
Anyway, Thanks for any answers to my questions,
Wayne The Scot

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Wayne on 2001-11-06 17:34 ]</font>
AnnaDMartinez
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Good to be home, many changes here, but C&F is still my home! I think about the "old" bunch here and hold you all in the light, I am so lucky to have you all in my life!

Post by AnnaDMartinez »

Welcome to Chiff and Fipple! I have no qualms about playing Scots tunes on the whistle, and even though I am not a scholar, I've heard some lovely renditions of some old favorites on the whistle, and played along with a piper on my B flat Generation. Of course, nobody, including me heard much over the pipes, but the whistle blends very nicely with any number of Scots songs. I tend to think that Scots musicians are pretty flexible, considering those are the kids that came up with raggae bagpipes, which may offend a few old traditional pipers, but since we have to import them from Montana, ask me how much I really care.
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

Thanks for the input. I have every intention of making a whistle part of my instrument collection (or a bunch WhOA) and learning all the scottish classics! :wink: I originally found this website while trying to find out what whistle to buy for my mum. She played a mean bagpipe back in the day, and I thought the whisle would be less stressfull. (no need to be in a band, or blow off your ear drums) Anyway, I saw the site, laughed, cried, and I think I'll be buying at least two whistles this Christmas, one for mum and at least one for me!
Thanx again,
Wayne
Wayne Elder

Save the plants!! eat a vegetarian! :-)
OhNoAnotherPiper

Post by OhNoAnotherPiper »

Well, there's Battlefield Band (<a href="http://www.battlefieldband.co.uk" target="top">website</a>) They have a whistler in the group. I've seen them twice and they are wonderful. That <a href="http://www.johnmccusker.demon.co.uk/" target="top">John McCusker</a> was great!
<br>
Roger

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: OhNoAnotherPiper on 2001-11-06 18:40 ]</font>
CraigMc

Post by CraigMc »

Some Scottish bands that I have heard whistles on are Tannahill Weavers and Old Blind Dogs. Both are great. I think Silly Wizard has played them as well but usually as back ground to a ballad. I also remember a rendition of Lord Mayo played on a solo whistle it was backed up by an entire regiment of pipers! Welcome!
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

Thanks a bunch for all of your input, I look forward to learning to play the whistle, and keeping it real here on C&F!
Wayne Elder

skendal

Post by skendal »

There's no reason not to play Scottish music on the whistle. I don't play many but I have the Gow collection edited by Richard Carlin. It has lots of tunes playable on the whistle. Also, anything that can be played on the pipes can be played on a whistle. At least the tune can. Some of the piping ornaments are pretty wild.

I live down here in London, ON. We always rely on Willie.

Steve
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Cathal McConnell's wonderful CD 'Long
Expectant Comes At Last,' has various
scottish songs and tunes with lovely
whistle accompaniment.
Whistlepeg

Post by Whistlepeg »

Wayne,
A whistle type instrument is used in many places in the world but the pennywhistle/tin whistle as we commonly know is especially popular throughout the British Isles including Scotland & Ireland. Some others have mentioned some great Scots bands that play whistle such as Boys of the Lough, Silly Wizard, Old Blind Dogs but also check out Capercaille (their early recordings feature recorder (no kidding!!) rather than a whistle, but later ones have whistle.
It is interesting that the Irish in particular have turned traditional music into an art form almost parallel to classical music, with complex ornamentation and variation and the introduction of competitions for musicians - including whistlers. As a "classical" musician I am very much attracted to trad. Irish music for the scope and technical challenge it affords (besides being beautiful, fun and fulfilling)
Mind you, I also play and enjoy Scots, English, Breton, Medieval, Renaissance & Baroque music too! Good luck to you - you are just beginning on a wonderful musical advenure....
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

Great, you guys! I can attest to the piping ornaments comment. I haden't really heard my mum play since I was little, and one day she played a few tunes like she had never put it down! the ornamentation she remembered after probably 10+ years of not playing was amazing! I hope she can transfer some of that to whistle and teach me! Heck she can teach me to play chanter too!

Willie is pretty reliable.
Wayne
Wayne Elder

Wayne

Post by Wayne »

Thanks for all the great bands to check out!
More things to do when I need to study. :wink: How important can the 4th year of university really be? As long as my trying to play the fiddle and whistle don't make me fail I'll be okay!
jackorion

Post by jackorion »

Robin Williamson from the Incredible String Band, is from Caledonia (scotland) and has tons of whistle on some of his solo work. Most recomended is "Glint at the Kindling" Hard to find but so worth it it's sick. He also wrote a whistle book, so he's deep into it. If you can't find the album anywhere, bug me and I'll doop a tape for you. :smile:
Chears Jack Orion
WyoBadger
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: "Tell us something" hits me a bit like someone asking me to tell a joke. I can always think of a hundred of them until someone asks me for one. You know how it is. Right now, I can't think of "something" to tell you. But I have to use at least 100 characters to inform you of that.

Post by WyoBadger »

Wayne,

Glad to have still another fan of Scottish music on the page. I play Scot tunes at least as much as Irish, although I love both. As many have said, many of the great Scottish bands play whistle at least occasionally. The instrument lends itself beautifully to Scottish tunes, although the style might be slightly different...I'll leave that question to someone who knows something.

BTW, I've been sleeping peacefully at night thinking that Wayne, the Whistling Rodent is a hamster. Was I wrong? Should I be consulting field guides, in the throes of a rodent-induced self-esteem crisis? Dale? Anybody?

Tom
Mack.Hoover
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Mack.Hoover »

Hey Wayne the Scot, Welcome to the forrrum

I was at an all Scottish session once and wanted to play an Irish tune. Tried to pass it off as "the Scottish Washer Wuman" Should hae stayed wi' "Bonnie Banks and Braes"

Hi Roger the piper, I know a Colorado piper named "Rodger". What's your town? If you don't want it public, email me.

Mack
Mal

Post by Mal »

The Scotch gave the Irish the bagpipe, and the English gave them the penny whistle,(or so they say.)and the Americans the potato.

In return, the Irish gave the world poteen, which the canny Caledonians inmproved into a palatable (and profitable!)tipple sent back to Ireland where it was copied and renamed Irish Whiskey. They also send a lot to Scotch settlers to Ulster, but the Irish retaliated by inundating Glasgow.

I think it is fair to assume that any musical instrument called a "penny whistle" would not escape attention benorth the Cheviots for very long!

Check out the following website:

http://www.traditionalmusic.co.uk/scott ... dxv6as.htm

Slainte na piobhair(?)...(what's "whistler" in gaelic?)

Calum Buidhe