Dead man's pipes

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.

Would you buy pipes from a dead man's wife/family

yes
96%
no
No votes
undecided
4%

Total votes: 54

Tony
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Dead man's pipes

Post by Tony »

Would you buy pipes from the widow/family of a dead man?
djm
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by djm »

Sure. Why not, if they're worth anything? What prompts the question?
Thies

Post by Thies »

Strange question indeed! :D Maybe they might be haunted?

Stay tuned!
Tony
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.

Post by Tony »

djm, thanks for not giving a smartassed answer.

It was prompted by recent discussion about pipes/piping only being an instrument and not a religion.

I suppose (good or bad) pipes have an added value having been owned by a famous piper.

Thies, I see it's your first post... WELCOME to C&F
djm

Post by djm »

Tony, I would only give a smart-arsed answer if that was the general vein of the thread (oh, I'm so hurt).

The way I look at it, if the family of a recently deceased piper was selling his pipes, I would think that the family had no more use for the set, and that maybe they needed the funds. If they're a great-playing set, it is to both parties' benefit that a sale at a reasonable price be made.

I would look somewhat askance at someone who purchased a crappy old set just because of a name associated with the set. That would be more trying to garner undeserved fame to oneself, and if the set sounds awful then it would be doubly a shame.

djm
Thies

Post by Thies »

Tony wrote:Thies, I see it's your first post... WELCOME to C&F
Tony ... so it is! Thanks for the welcome! :) Got the link from a friend yesterday and thought I couldn't harm to get involved with some fellow pipers.
Here in Finland the community is really small ... right now we think that there are not more than 5 UP players around.
Davey

FINLAND!

Post by Davey »

Goodness gracious, the UP's have reached FINLAND!? I used to live with a bunch of Fins...man can your people DRINK...some of the nicest people I've ever met though...

Taavy (Davey)
Mypipes

Post by Mypipes »

I have only been at it for a year now and have amassed 1full set 2 half sets and a practice set.....I keep trying to sell some off but my wife says not to sell so it must be spiritual...honestly though I have become attached to all mypipes (good pun) :lol: in some way and dont press the issue to sell :D I also surf and have a kazzillion surfboards so to me these hobbies in life are a religion of sorts...so if you buy a deadman set of pipes you'd better be darn good and do them justice or be forever cursed.....but pipes are meant to be played.. I think. :wink:
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Undecided. I'm not superstitious, and don't associate calamity with taking on the possessions of the departed. But, for me, it would depend on who owned them, why they're being sold, and in some cases the circumstances of the former piper's, life, death, and character. Ah, well; I still take note of the moon's phases, too. Maybe I am just a bit superstitious, after all.
Tony

Post by Tony »

Nano...
I ain't 'fraid o' no ghosts?
But don't walk under that ladder... right ?
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Actually, Tony, I walk under ladders as a matter of principle. I'd say that's superstitious! :lol:
No E

Deadman's pipes

Post by No E »

Isn't there a story about a fellow who asked for his pipes to be buried with him? I understand his friends were back at the grave with shovels three days later :o

Bottom line, pipes should be played, not left to moulder in the attic.

-No E (yo-ho-ho and bottle of rum)
Calum

Post by Calum »

It was common practice in the Highlands for GHBs to be buried with their owners, throughout the 18th and 19th century. It happened up to modern times; the last case I know of was in the early 90s, and there was more than one piper tempted to go graverobbing for that set.

<ducks as the painfully obvious GHB-buried-in-the-ground jokes roll in>

Cheers,
Calum
goldy

Post by goldy »

To expand the topic, what are peoples comments on keeping pipes that were loaned to you before the loaner died. I have been told that Liam O'Flynn was in this situation. The person who told me believed that the right thing to do would be to at least offer the set to the family of the dead man.

Anyone have an opinion on the ethics in this situation?
djm

Post by djm »

If the loaner was tight with his family, negotiations should begin, mostly to see if the family really cares about the set. If the loaner was estranged from said family, f**k'em. :D

djm