Brian Howard Uilleann Pipes

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Pipeman
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Brian Howard Uilleann Pipes

Post by Pipeman »

I have stumbled across Brian Howards website. His pipes look fairly basic compared to spme other makers pipes I have seen, and the prices seem rather high.

Wonder if anyone is playing Howard pipes and if so what is the quality/playability like?

Mark
Pipeman

Post by Pipeman »

In the interests of not upsetting anybody could comment please be sent by private message.

Whatever happened to free speech?

Thanks,

Mark
Roger O'Keeffe
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Roger O'Keeffe »

It would be helpful for prospective buyers if comments on pipemakers and their wares could be made openly on the forum.

All it requires is that people should be honest, avoid abusive language and unsubstantiated gossip and make it clear which aspects of their judgements are clearly matters of taste.

I specify "pipemakers and their wares" because in the pipemaking world, reliability on delivery dates and after-sales services are vastly more important than in, say, the making of flutes or whistles. It it perfectly possible to deal tactfully with information on their personal situation which may be relevant e.g. in explaining delays. Some recent information on such matters in the case of one maker was unnecessarily detailed.

In short, all that's needed is a specific application of the Reasonable Person Principle.

Oh, and don't keep bothering Dale with e-mails and PMs.
An Pluiméir Ceolmhar
Pipeman

Post by Pipeman »

Roger I probably did'nt help by my own approach recently, again sorry.

Would it be an idea if the forum developed a standard layout for reporting the service of a pipe maker. Maybe by giving points out of ten on things like quality, approachability, after sales services. This would mean that personal details would be left out.

I really don't care whether a pipe maker is a "fine chap" or "great guy", I want to know that I get what I give him my money for and he is honest in his business approach!

As a secondary thought, what about a section on the forum where new comers could see a list of pipe makers and also comments from customers. This way new people like myself would not have to ask questions directly and offend people who might have an interest in the maker.

It is very off putting to ask about a maker innocently, only to get ones ass flamed for asking what was an innocent question!!

Also the list could be vetted for innappropriate comments by Dale or Rich.

However I agree wholeheartedly that we must be allowed to make honest comments, or else the information becomes useless. If a Pipe Maker has been shown to be crooked, dishonest or disreputable, customers should be freely allowed to let this be known, without it being construed as simply a slur against a pipe maker and the comment deleted into oblivian!.

Could the feature of voting or polling on the forum be used to help? Questions could be asked and members asked to vote. The only problem is non customers could make false votes in favour of thier buddies.

To believe all pipe makers are fine upstanding decent citizens is nice in an ideal world, however we live not in an ideal world and there are rotten apples in every barrel!!

Life's hard but thats the reality!

Just a suggestion.

Mark

Glad to meet you for the first time.
Tony
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

Mark, what other experience do you have in bespoke, custom fabricated or hand-made items?
teirw

Post by teirw »

Hi, I have a half set from Brian Howard.I am firmly of the opinion that you get what you pay for.I can say with no hesitation that I got just that.The set has been completely trouble free from day one. The original reed is still perfect.The chanter is in tune throughout and the drones are a delight to use and listen to.Brian has spent hours of his time helping me to learn and showing me all sorts of 'trade secrets' and he taught me to make my own reeds in less than a day.(free!).Since I have known Brian he has been nothing other than the perfect choice of pipemaker.His pipes are not ornate or fancy but they are beautiful to look at and listen to.(I lecture in Three dimensional Design at Undergraduate level).If anyone lives close enough to me they are welcome to come and see and try.If you live near Sheffield go and see him or visit the Piping Club he runs on Wednesday evenings (free!).See www.howardmusic.co.uk.I have no connection other than that of a totally satisfied customer.
Pipeman

Post by Pipeman »

Tony I am a precision toolmaker by trade, so I think if you know what that job entails I am well versed in hand made products etc. I don't know why your asking however. If its about my earlier posts regarding a certain pipe maker, well can we just not pursue that further please, as I want to make ammends for my poor start on this forum. LOL!

Teirw, many thanks for your very helpful comments, yes I spoke to Brian by telephone about two years ago and he was a real gentleman.

I have been thinking of purchasing from him as I could travel to Sheffield, I dont mind spending money, not just on the pipes, but on knowing that if and when I have difficulties, that there is a helpful voice on the telephone or an answer when I knock a door.

I am just too scared of spending a lot of money on an item and then finding the maker has disapperred into the woodwork.

Again many thanks and I really am going to consider Brian as a possible number one on my list.

Mark
Tony
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.

Post by Tony »

daveboling

Post by daveboling »

If you wish to contact Brian, I would recommend spending the small money and telephoning, rather than relying on email. I tried to contact him twice last Fall by email, once to his business email, once to what I was told was his personal email, in regards to getting a reed fitted to a chanter of his that I had purchased. I never received a response to either query. I don't claim that I was ignored, probably just came at a busy time and the requests fell through the cracks.
The best way to work with any pipemaker, whether for reeds, maintenance work, or instruments, is by direct voice contact, in person, or by telephone at least.

Best Regards,

dave boling
Jim McGuire

Post by Jim McGuire »

Tommy Keane of Waterford, London, and now Galway, is a great piper and has played a Brian Howard set for 20+ years.
Rick

Post by Rick »

Pipeman wrote:Whatever happened to free speech?
I wonder about that every day... :roll:

One of Nostradamus's predictions:
"The death penalty will be put on telling the truth"

Not that i believe in those but i'd say we're not far away, are we? :(
Tony

Post by Tony »

Rick wrote:
Pipeman wrote:Whatever happened to free speech?
I wonder about that every day... :roll:

One of Nostradamus's predictions:
"The death penalty will be put on telling the truth"

Not that i believe in those but i'd say we're not far away, are we? :(
Mark's initial request Posted: Thu Oct 23, 2003 9:07 pm
The free speech comment was Posted: Thu Oct 23, 2003 9:51 pm

is there a problem here?
Rick

Post by Rick »

huh?
What do you mean Tony?
My late reaction? or?

I just read up on the forum and thought i'd reply to pipeman's post.
No problem.., i just think that free speech seems to generally not be appreciated so much these days. :D
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

Jim McGuire wrote:Tommy Keane of Waterford, London, and now Galway, is a great piper and has played a Brian Howard set for 20+ years.
In fairness you'll have to say though he may not have been using a Howard chanter all of the time so he has been playing Howard drones for twenty years and various chanters over the years, including the Howard.

For what it's worth, Heather Clarke used to play a Howard and Howards were also in the hands of Finbar Furey. Cillian O Briain did an apprenticeship/ worked for Brian long ago.

Like all other pipes, you really need to see them and play them yourself before you make up your mind.
Jim McGuire

Post by Jim McGuire »

Tommy has had the Howard set - drones and regs - for the past 20+ years. He has tried different chanters and the last one that I saw him using 18 months ago was a Froment D chanter.

Past performance does not mean a thing with a current purchase decision. What is the pipemaker turning out today? Better yet, try to buy an existing set, one that can be tried out. If you do not have a deep, practical experience with Irish pipes, hopefully you can find someone who can assist with the evaluation of a set.