Bamboo flute on ebay

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
illuminatus99

Bamboo flute on ebay

Post by illuminatus99 »

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... gory=10183

are there really bamboo flutes worth that much or is this just another guy looking for a sucker?
brad maloney
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by brad maloney »

Smells like BS to me. It's made from a piece with more than one node, so the bore will probably be all fouled up & the emb hole doesn't really show much workmanship. It is reinforced with thread, but that seems about the only nice thing about it.

PS I like how the bamboo was grown on an "acre of land", well isn't everything grown on an acre of land? :boggle: Unless it's magical floating bamboo which grows in a cubic acre of air :roll: . Doesn't look like it's worth more than $4.00 much less $400.00
Play Happy
Wombat

Re: Bamboo flute on ebay

Post by Wombat »

illuminatus99 wrote:http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... gory=10183

are there really bamboo flutes worth that much or is this just another guy looking for a sucker?
Well, it was made from *one* tree that grew on *one* acre of land. And, to be scrupulously fair, this one wasn't just made, it was 'born.' :lol: Doesn't say whether the maker was professional or just the seller. Actually, we aren't told who the maker is at all.

You could get quite a few Olwells for that money. Oh, I'm forgetting, until April you might not be able to get an Olwell at all. Clearly our man thinks he's found his niche.
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

brad maloney wrote:
PS I like how the bamboo was grown on an "acre of land", well isn't everything grown on an acre of land? :boggle:
I bet he has another one just like it that was grown on two acres of land, Brad. You know, half the tree was on one acre and the other half was on the acre beside it. That one will cost even more. :P
fionnbarra
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by fionnbarra »

It also comes with a music tape
anyone ever buy a high quality instrument that came with a tape? it must be beginners guide to bamboo flute or something, what kind of instrument would you get with this?
Jayhawk
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

It sure is an interesting looking flute...with interesting being the key word. I've never seen a bamboo flute with what looks like brass bands all the way down it. Personally, I'm guessing someone did pay serious money for that the first time, and now they're trying to get even with the rest of the world. :D

Eric
Steven
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Steven »

The seller claims this was originally bought for $1000, and the reserve isn't met at $400??????? Amazing! The embouchure is huge -- almost the full width of the flute -- so I'm sure you couldn't play the thing. Even if you could, the tone holes are all evenly sized and spaced, meaning there's no actual scale there. This thing is nothing more than a wall decoration, certainly not a musical instrument, and I don't even think it's particularly nice looking. This seller got suckered big time buying it in the first place, and I hope nobody else gets suckered into paying big bucks for it now.

Wow.
Steven
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

Steven wrote: This seller got suckered big time buying it in the first place, and I hope nobody else gets suckered into paying big bucks for it now.

Wow.
Steven
Well nobody reading this thread will fall for it will they? Will they ..... ? :o
But really, would it take even a complete newbie more than half an hour researching this on the net to see that something strange was going on? Do people really commit that sort of money without even doing a minimal check?

Yeah, I know: there's one born every minute.