Most versatile non-d whistle

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
vaulter
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Most versatile non-d whistle

Post by vaulter »

Okay I'll admit right up front I'm pretty music theorilly :) challenged. I know with the D whistle I can play a lot of songs just using the norml a notes on the d scale witha cross fingered C natural thrown in. I really like the sound of the Bb whsitles and I play mostly just by myself for fun but if I got a Bb and wanted to play with other people that weren't playing in the key of Bb I would be really in trouble as in using the normal non cross fingered non-half holed notes? is there a good general purpose key somewhere in between sprano d and low d that has I guess you'd call it a more natural only scale like the d that only has two sharps the c and f. Not sure if I explained enough what I mean but we'll see .
thanks for any info
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

Yes you would be in trouble with most guitar-oriented folk musicians with a Bb unless they are playing in F or using capos. If you were playing with woodwinds, like sax etc. perhaps the Bb would serve you.

I recommend a C tunable as your next choice. You can play with folkies in C, F and A minor easily. D minor is somewhat popular as a key in ballads.

A flat key whistle would come after C for usability. Also, Low Gs are really good for song accompaniment, I have found
OutOfBreath

Post by OutOfBreath »

Bb is very useful if you are doing non-trad stuff, especially hymns. You can also play F on a Bb. A low F is almost as versatile for that type of music. It all depends on what you expect to be playing. For IRT the most useful keys are probably D, Low G, Low A in that order followed by C, Bb, and Low F in no particular order.

Note that while you can play A and G tunes on a D whistle, having the low G and possibly a Low A let you play songs in D, G, and A where the lowest note drops below the bell note of a Soprano D whistle.

Please note that this is not based so much on my <HeavySelfDeprecatingSarcasm> extensive knowledge of IRT </HeavySelfDeprecatingSarcasm> as with a simple look at the "by key" indexes in my PDF of O'Neill's Music of Ireland" (1850 trad tunes).
John
-------
The Internet is wonderful. Surely there have always been thousands of people deeply concerned about my sex life and the quality of my septic tank but before the Internet I never heard from any of them.
Scott McCallister
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Scott McCallister »

Try an A whistle. It is reasonably close to the Bb sound you like (actually as close as you can get) and it only adds another sharp bringing the total to 3. (F# C# & G#) This also allows you to play a D scale really easily. (It would start with the XXXOOO fingering) The G natural is played with the same "c" cross fingering on a D whistle.

I can recommend the Susato medium bore for this. I know Susatos get a lot of bad press around here for bing too loud and having a kind of recordery sound to them but the medium bores are much improved. They sound really pretty well, can be purchased tunable, have conical bores, (something often overlooked in Susatos I think) and they are relatively cheap for mid-pitch whistles. The Bb is even better than the A IMHO.

Best of Luck

Scott McCallister
There's and old Irish saying that says pretty much anything you want it to.

Zubivka

Post by Zubivka »

Bb? Depends if you're playing with Scots and/or Bretons, then you can "play along". Which you could do just as well with an F low whistle...

Otherwise, think of A and G. Both will harmonize with D tunes. Alto whistles rock. It's the most natural fingering for an adult's hand. Gets rid of the inherent shrillness of high (D, C) whistles, without the fingering challenge of low whistles.

Also, G is an "ergonomic" tone for fippled flutes generally. The favourite adults' recorders* are in F, i.e. like G whistles with a pig-nose F hole added down below. It's also the most common NA flute tuning (F#, G). It just works, probably some kind of a soft-spot relationship between our hands size, human voice, etc.

Btw, aren't there some A/G combo whistles around ? Offhand, I can think of Silkstone PVCs, but there must be others.

* an adult recorder is the same as a sop-oprah "school" recorder, except it's PG rated. A really sonographic instrument.
It's true: I read it on Internet.
IDAwHOa
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

Dixon makes A/G combos. The whistle AND flute head will fit both bodies.
Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
burnsbyrne

Post by burnsbyrne »

Zubivka wrote:Bb? Depends if you're playing with Scots and/or Bretons, then you can "play along". Which you could do just as well with an F low whistle...
Also Galician. I'm learning a Munhiera from a recording of Gaita tunes. It's in Bb. The tune is really simple but I'm having a time getting up to speed with those Spanish pipers.
Mike
glauber

Post by glauber »

Really Bb? Not Gm?

g
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Low G or A
Zubivka

Post by Zubivka »

glauber wrote:Really Bb? Not Gm?
BbM, Gm... same thing, neh? The most versatile whistle here ends up to be a NA flute :lol:
It's true: I read it on Internet.