Bass Regulator cap - straight or 180 degree bend

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Tony
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Bass Regulator cap - straight or 180 degree bend

Post by Tony »

Partly due to a back/shoulder injury, I have a llimited range of motion. I find the traditional (straight) bass regulator bar extending over the forearm restrictive as it pushes the regulators away when I'm actually trying to reach them.

Gallagher makes a folded back reedcap for the bass regulator that has a bend of 180 degrees. Childress (special order) does this design too. This appears to make the drones and regulators sit a bit flatter on the lap and possibly need less wrestling to play.

Comments?
Who has (or has tried) this style of regulator?
Pros or cons about it?
Kevin L. Rietmann
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Kevin L. Rietmann »

I've owned both. The bass bar isin't really a problem, you get used to it. Pat D'Arcy wrote about the benefits of having the stock tapered - there's more room for your left arm as a result. Tying the stock closer to the edge will help a bit too.
Some think the bass bar helps to manipulate the pipes, too. Certainly the greatest regulator players I've heard all used the straight bass bar model.
Tying a shoulder strap around the straight bass bar will push the pipes away from you a bit. Look at the back of Jimmy O'Brian-Moran's CD. You can see the cord wrapped around the bass bar.
Tony
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.

Post by Tony »

Tapered in which direction ??
Please explain.
No E

Post by No E »

**Disclaimer--My regulator playing is still in the embyronic stage, so take my comments cum grano salis **

I have a "folded" bass regulator on my (Gallagher) concert D set. It's very convenient, as no assembly/disassembly is required when taking out/packing up the pipes. I don't have any trouble reaching all the keys.

I have a "bass bar" on my Hunter/Angus B set; I do find myself using the bass bar w/strap to help manipulate the longer "keyboard" of the B set.

Your mileage may vary.

No E
Pat Cannady
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Pat Cannady »

Depends on the piper, I suppose. Either way will work if set up properly. Jerry O'Sullivan is an excellent regulators player whose main instrument, a Johnny Burke D set w/Gallagher chanter, has a bass reg with a Taylor bend. Didn't Patsy Touhy's set have the folded bar, too?
Tony

Post by Tony »

Is it referred to as Taylor bend?
Davey

regs

Post by Davey »

Tony, when he refers to tapered mainstock it simply means the stock itself is wider at the base (bag end) than at the top (drone end). Since the bass reg is mounted on the exterior of the stock it would give the reg an angle ...which would put the tenor and bari parrallel while the bass tended to aim towards the end of the bari reg slightly. Your Wooff narrow bore set has a tapered mainstock.

Personally I prefer the aesthetic looks and comfort of the straight bass reg. I feel it gives a more "balanced" look and feels more comfortable. But, it's really six of one and half dozen of the other...personal tastes really.

God Bless,
David
djm

Post by djm »

I have the straight bass reg, but the idea of not having to disassemble the bass reg to get the set into a shorter case is very appealing to me.

djm
Tony

Post by Tony »

I just love these discussions...
Davey, I know the Wooff stock is tapered... as well as the holes drilled intentionally off center to bring drones and regs into alignment. I think my Simack set has a straight stock and the bass regulator bar is intentionally tipped to essentally acheive the same thing with less work (His deluxe sets feature a tapered stock) What I notice most is the bass drone on that set is closer to me and you can adjust it so the regulators can tilt slightly forward.
I'm still in 'wrestle mode' trying to figure out what I like best.

djm - I'm with you on that
Pat Cannady
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Pat Cannady »

Tony wrote:Is it referred to as Taylor bend?
I'm not sure the Taylors invented the folded bass reg bar, but they were fond of them: the folded bass reg bar is a characteristic feature of most Taylor and Taylor-style sets, along with the sheet metal keys, popping valves, and innovative designs. I think they made them occasionally with the traditional (straight) bass bar, too. I picked the term up from Seth Gallagher's site, he makes a lot full sets with the folded bass reg bar. "Taylor bend" is about as descriptive to me as "folded bass reg bar" once after seeing several Taylor or Taylor-style instruments up close.
tommykleen
Tell us something.: I am interested in the uilleann pipes and their typical -and broader- use. I have been composing and arranging for the instrument lately. I enjoy unusual harmonic combinations on the pipes. I use the pipes to play music of other cultures.

bass reg bar

Post by tommykleen »

I would love to have a Taylor bend on my set. I have a straight extension and with all the strapping, lifting, twisting and torquing I am still unable to get at the bottom of my tenor and bari regs. I do not know if Rogge (who made my pipes) has ever made a double-back-style bass reg.

t
Kevin L. Rietmann

Post by Kevin L. Rietmann »

The Taylors almost always made the bent bass regulator bar, yes. There are three sets on the American West coast which have straight bars, though, all originally made for pipers living in the San Francisco area. Perhaps some kind of local fad? Mickey Zekley's set also appears to have a straight bass drone, which I've never seen on any other Taylor set. The Taylors dispensed with the detachable bass bar, since the folded style didn't require detaching. Rowsome unfortunately copied this feature for his own pipes, which is still being emulated today. Talk about removing the bass bar or removing the keyed section being inconvenient is pretty amusing. I haven't timed myself, I think my average for getting the thing off is about 4 seconds. What an imposistion!
ChristianRo

Re: bass reg bar

Post by ChristianRo »

tommykleen wrote:. I do not know if Rogge (who made my pipes) has ever made a double-back-style bass reg.

t
I know of at least one set from Andreas' workshop with that feature (Tom Aebi's set - he might have built it himself). But I am sure, Andreas does it, if asked.
Christian
sturob

Post by sturob »

Christian, what on earth is your avatar?

Stuart
ChristianRo

Post by ChristianRo »

sturob wrote:Christian, what on earth is your avatar?

Stuart
Oh,it's Herr Müller-Lüdenscheid and Doctor Klöbner, making acquaintance with each other in a hotel bathtub. A German comic classic from the 70's. Ask Bloomfield. He knows.

Happy Xmas
Christian