What about Terry McGee Flute?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Leonard
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

What about Terry McGee Flute?

Post by Leonard »

After reading the tread about McGee plans of the Pratten, I've been passing through Terry's site for the second time this weekend since it's so interesting! His flutes look so good! And he looks like he knows almost everything about this marvellous stick!

But it brings a question to my head: why don't we hear more about his flute on the forum? His list seems quite long by the way...

And when we hear about respected makers, we hear of Olwell, Hammilton, Ormiston, Grinter ... etc ... but rarely about Mc Gee...why?

Any of you have one?

Speak friend and enter.

François
Loren
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Talk about particular brands of flutes seems to go in cycles around here, and indeed there has been much discussion and praise of Terry McGee's fine instruments here in the past. Have you used the search function?

I'd love to have a go at the flute he modeled after Grey Larsen's, but it's not in the budget at the moment

Loren
gcollins

Post by gcollins »

Ditto on Loren's comment. McGee's flutes are well-discussed and respected. I have a brilliant headjoint for my Rudall original (and AWESOME repair job) done by him. Give him a call or send him an e-mail--unlike some other makers, he might send you a flute to try before buying.

G
eskin

Post by eskin »

I'd definitely include Terry in the "well respected" category. I have one of his short foot Rudall Carte models and I couldn't be more happy.
Pan

Post by Pan »

I have had a McGee flute for a month or so. It´s my first flute so I can not judge it against other instruments but I guess I´m a picky character whatever that may be worth, and I like it a lot.

It´s a keyless R&R refined in boxwood and it´s a very nice instrument.

Oh, I´ve had the Europ RAF at home for a week this spring and that one was very lovely as well.

Try to get on the list for the RAF and see what you think about it.

/Peter
Pan

Post by Pan »

Oh... one of the things that made me go with McGee was that I did listen to Eskin´s soundclips and much prefered the sound of the McGee compared to the other flutes.

After the week with the RAF the choice was "easy" since the RAF was easy to play even for a total newbie for me and the sound was... how ya´say it..... loooverly? ;)

Thanks Eskin :)

/Peter
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Pan wrote:I have had a McGee flute for a month or so......

It´s a keyless R&R refined in boxwood and it´s a very nice instrument.

Peter
(Homer Simpson Voice) Mmm, Boxwood.........

Loren
Henke

Post by Henke »

I'd love to try out a McGee.
I'm in Sweden as well. Will have to sign up for the RAF.
Now I have no idea if this is true, but I've heard that McGee flutes are often very pure in sound, and that Terry has deliberately gone for this sound. Some people have told me that it doesn't really have that growling, reedy sound as a result of this. Anyone who now, please reply.
Cheers
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

I took a lesson from Grey Larson recently. He showed
me his flute that Terry's model is made after.
I asked him if it sounds like Grey's. He assured
me that he had played it and it did. Terry is
very well regarded.
Ben Shaffer
Tell us something.: Ive played Irish Flute for a number of Years. Have played Sessions as well but not currently. I have also played Colonial American Flute in reenactment Groups. Started playing Clarinet in 1960 in School and later Community Bands. Also have played Bagpipes Solo as well as in Pipe Bands I played Drums in a Garage band in High School, probably my Instrument I played the best!

Grey Larson Flute

Post by Ben Shaffer »

Jim, and Loren
I've been eyeing that Grey Larson Flute on Terry's website. I'd love to try it.
I currently play a small hole RR Flute and by that I mean the 5th hole from the embochure is 5/8". The Larsen Flute is exactly that as well and if it plays as effortlesly as my RR Flute it would be a Flute I would be very interested in.
Jim, what was the Larsen Flute like to play?
Ben
Michel

Post by Michel »

I don't like very much Terry McGee's flutes,especially his latest designs.
I owned one of his instruments for a while, so mine is not a superficial
point of view. I think they lack in balance,resistance and deepness of tone.
Some nuances of tone can't be obtained with his modern blowholes IMO.
My fault was ordering this flute before my first trip to Ireland, only later
I discovered that he's almost totally unknown there, and that's not a good
praise for him I think.Other flute makers from abroad such as Mike Grinter
or Patrick Olwell are very well known and respected in Ireland.
on the other hand he has a quite long waiting list nowadays, so there is
plenty of people (but nobody in Ireland) who like his work, and that's good
for him.he seemed to me a very friendly person while waiting my flute,
and he replied promptly each and every time I asked him a question.
last but not least that's only my opinion, and I respect completely people
who have different thoughts.I'm not interested in useless and unpleasant
polemics.
regards
michel
Leonard

Post by Leonard »

Well, thanks everybody for reply!

Here there is new points of view about Terry's flutes and that's very interesting!

Flute makers in this big world are so few that I want to know as much as possible about each of them.

OT, Terry still have the best flute pictures!
clark
Tell us something.: I've played Irish flute most of my life. My band Celtic Waves has been performing in Honolulu for the last 17 years.

Post by clark »

Yes, I bought my McGee 6 key Pratten a few years ago on the basis of his web site. Since I live in an area where, as far as I know, I'm the only simple system player in the state - I couldn't very well try out different flutes. I figured that anybody who was as meticulous as he is about the information and research on his web site would be a careful craftsman. Besides, if I didn't like the flute I could always sell it (for more than I paid as an added bonus). Well, this is my baby! It fits me perfectly and I wouldn't let it go. I have since played a Wilkes and Olwell and found them all in the same ballpark (each with different nuances).

Clark
gcollins

Post by gcollins »

Michel wrote: My fault was ordering this flute before my first trip to Ireland, only later
I discovered that he's almost totally unknown there, and that's not a good
praise for him I think.
I find that an interesting comment. So many really good flute makers are not known at all in Ireland, but that's also part of the marketing these guys do. Both Olwell and Grinter go to Ireland with flutes for the players to try, talk to them, and essentially network. I am surprised that Terry donesn't do more, since he's so gregarious by nature. Peter Noy is also like this--doesn't network with players.

Being from the US but living in China, I never played a Sam Murray flute and in other parts of the world he is not as well known--but so many of the Irish players play his flutes. He is Irish and makes a darn good flute that great players play.

That you don't see pros give credit to the McGees, Noys, Camerons and Byrnes of the world in no way is a question of their quality. Actually, you don't even see many Irish playing Wilkes flutes, and he's just across the pond from Ireland.

Grinter flutes are far from gravely, like the prattens many of the Irish love, but I having Crawford give him so much credit has made him a name. And he's in Ireland right now as a matter of fact, networking and doing his magic. Grinter makes awesome R&R flutes from that one model he has. Can't wait for mine in Cocus!

G
rama
Tell us something.: flute itm flute, interested in the flute forum for discussions and the instrument exchange forum to buy and sell flutes

Post by rama »

But in all fairness, McGee did travel to Ireland and the States with flutes to try and he has a roving flute being passed around and a huge website.
He probably does more marketing than most.
I only have what Michel aptly referred to as a superficial opinion of his flutes, only trying one on a couple of ocassions. Unfortunately, I found it to be lackluster and I hold a similiar opinion as Michel, although it was a big loud flute; nicely made but not my cup of tea. BTW, in no way did it resemble an R&R so it was really disappointing since he specifically refers to the model as "R&R improved" (or something like that). I failed to see improvement. He seems like a friendly personable guy and very innovative and enthusiastic in his work; but dangerously authorative.