tin whistle Key G

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
tinwfun
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by tinwfun »

i unstandard that D whistle can play G major. What are the differences between using D whistle to play G major and using G whistle to play G major?
ErikT
antispam: No

Post by ErikT »

One of the main differences is that the fingering changes. So, if you are used to reading music, you'll have to transpose on the fly to play the G. If you're playing by ear, you'll need to re-think your fingering, too [clarification - you will only need to rethink if you learned to play it in G on a D whistle]. This is because, the fingering for D on a D whistle is actually G on a G whistle. (This is the short and sweet version - let me know if you want more info on this).

Another difference is the tonality of the instrument. You'll be able to play 4 notes lower on the G whistle than you would a D. It will probably sound a little more sonorous.

On the G whistle you will also have available to you the key of C as it's compliment.

And finally (though perhaps not finally) it may be easier to play the song on a G whistle (no half holing or cross fingering needed) than a D.

That's a couple of thoughts. I like a G. It's a nice in between whistle.

Peace,
Erik

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ErikT on 2001-12-01 13:55 ]</font>
tinwfun

Post by tinwfun »

Erik, thank you for the information and they are very useful for me. However, I am not totally understand "Another difference is the tonality of the instrument. You'll be able to play 4 notes lower on the G whistle than you would a D. It will probably sound a little more sonorous." Would you please explain a little more? Thanks.
ErikT

Post by ErikT »

The G whistle (unless we're talking about the little tiny Generation G) is a bigger whistle than the D. It's bell note, the G, will be the G below the D on a scale. There are 4 major notes between these two. This means that you can play 4 notes lower on the G than on the D. It also means that you lose 4 at the top.

Because the instrument is larger, it will have a different resonance, deeper and more full bodied, than it's D counter part - even when playing the same note on a scale. It has more complex harmonics and a larger chamber for sound to fill. A bit like a concert hall vs. your living room - though not to that extreme.

:smile: Erik
bob baksi

Post by bob baksi »

this was recently discussed in some length by many about 20 threads below...see something like "whistling in tunes other than D" started by lihorian. Some of those comments may be helpful to you. Good luck.
ErikT

Post by ErikT »

http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php ... forum=1&11

Here's the link, Bob. I read your explanation (I hadn't been following that thread) and it was nicely stated.

I do have one thing to add... maybe I'll go put it in the thread.
TonyHiggins

Post by TonyHiggins »

Doesn't the low d whistle overlap one octave with the high d? I think so. Playing the upper octave on a low d does not sound anything like the low octave on a high d except that they're pitched the same. The length and width of the tube makes a big impact on the sound of the instrument. Holds true for the low g whistle in contrast to a high d.
Tony
http://tinwhistletunes.com/clipssnip/newspage.htm Officially, the government uses the term “flap,” describing it as “a condition, a situation or a state of being, of a group of persons, characterized by an advanced degree of confusion that has not quite reached panic proportions.”
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

I find I often like to play in the key
of G on the D whistle, and the key
of C on the G whistle--though one
can certainly play in D on the D and
in G on the G. Also I like to play
in D on the A whistle.
jmssmh

Post by jmssmh »

A problem of playing tunes in G on a G whistle is that there might notes like high A and B which are easily obtained in the 2nd octave on a D whistle but would be in the 3rd octave on a G whistle.

Joe
StevieJ
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Old hand, active in the early 2000s. Less active in recent years but still lurking from time to time.

Post by StevieJ »

Joe has touched on an important point.

If you're playing G tunes from the Irish traditional dance-music repertoire, you'll need a D whistle for nearly all of them. The majority of Irish dance tunes - regardless of the key they are in - fit within the D whistle's range, that is from D up to b'.

If you use a G whistle, you'll either be missing D, E and F# at the low end, or as Joe says you'll have to enter the stratosphere at the top end.

Apart from that, the main difference is that to play in G on a D whistle you need to master C-natural. Something you must do anyway. (Although, of course there are loads of "G" tunes that skip the note C altogether...)

A point that people like Peter and me keep making is this: if you are playing Irish trad, a D whistle will take care of about 90% of tunes, a C whistle another 5%, and the rest you can always sit out on. In other words, D and C is all you really need.

Of course, as people keep reminding us, trad Irish is not the main interest of many board members. In which case you can ignore my post!
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

I confess I have found a G whistle
immensely helpful when playing with
other instruments. Next useful
is an A (though it isn't essential), especially if there are fiddles;
the C comes in handy sometimes, but
usually I cover C with a G whistle.

Of course the most useful is the
soprano D. Perhaps this all reflects
that we are occasionally playing tunes
outside the Celtic tradition.
Daniel_Bingamon

Post by Daniel_Bingamon »

A Low-G Whistle is also a good transition for proceeding from a high-D to low-D.