Making a Gen Bb into a B natural

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Jack
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Making a Gen Bb into a B natural

Post by Jack »

I want to try to convert my generation Bb into a B - somebody mentioned the page the other day, and I've searched but can't find it...help?
seisflutes

Post by seisflutes »

I don't know what page you're looking for,but I think if you:1.take the head off
2.cut a bit off the top of the tube(not much.I don't know exactly how much).
3.stick the head back on.
4.try it out,and see if the low note is a B.It probably won't be,but hopefully it isn't sharper than a B.
5.repeat until you get a B.

This might work.Or you could keep looking for the real instructions.
I don't want you to ruin your whistle on my account.Of course, if it's only a generation...

Best,-Kelly
E = Fb

Post by E = Fb »

I've converted a D to an Eb, which is a similar move.

Yes, cut a bit (I cut less than 1/4" if I remember correctly) from the fipple end. Adjust fipple until the bell note is approx B. All the other notes will now need flattening. You do that with tape. I used aluminum duct tape. Looks funny, but it lasts. I don't have the whistle in front of me now, but I think it was the upper holes that needed tweaking more than the ones lower on the barrel. I might have that backwards, but I don't think so.

My Eb is one of my most in tune whistles...probably because I did it myself and it suits the way I play.

Tom.
Current stage of grief: Denial
Jack

Post by Jack »

Do you need power tools to shave the end off?
DCrom
antispam: No

Post by DCrom »

Cranberry wrote:Do you need power tools to shave the end off?
I'd think you'd need no more than a hacksaw, a vise, and a file. Just remember to measure twice, cut once (and not yourself!).
Jerry Freeman
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Jerry Freeman »

Cranberry,

Brass is a fairly soft metal. After you've cut a little off the end, you can sand off the sawmarks on the end by putting some sandpaper on a flat, smooth surface and rubbing the end of the tube, with the tube perpendicular to the surface. Once the sawmarks are gone, you can trim the burr off the inside of the end of the tube with a sharp exacto knife or pocket knife. You can take the burr off the outside of the tube with sandpaper. I would do this by putting the sandpaper on the smooth, flat surface, holding the tube at an angle to the paper and turning the end against the sandpaper to remove the burr without scratching the tube anywhere but where the burr was.

Some of these same operations could just as easily be done with a file, too. It depends what you have at hand.

Best wishes,
Jerry
OutOfBreath

Post by OutOfBreath »

Converting a Bb to a B natural, but, but, that just wouldn't be natural...:)
John
-------
The Internet is wonderful. Surely there have always been thousands of people deeply concerned about my sex life and the quality of my septic tank but before the Internet I never heard from any of them.
Jack

Post by Jack »

Quote @ Jerry Freeman

Brass is a fairly soft metal.

What about nickel (actually nickel plated brass, I guess)?
Jerry Freeman
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Jerry Freeman »

Hi, Cranberry.

The nickel plating is very hard, but it's also very thin. You'll be able to cut the tube with a hacksaw just fine. However, if you wanted to sand off the plating, e.g., to try to make the end a little smaller to fit a tight mouthpiece, you would find it difficult.

Best wishes,
Jerry
randyo

Post by randyo »

One thing you might want to do when you get ready to saw the end off, is get a dowel rod that's a snug fit in the tube, and use that to help support it in the vise. The Generation I have is very thin metal and I think clamping it hard enough to use a hacksaw on it would probably distort the tube without some kind of support.

If you can't find a dowel rod that's the right size, get one a little bigger and sand it down until it fits snug. I did that before by chucking the dowel in an electric drill and spinning it while I held a sanding block against it. It's kind of slow, but it works.

I nearly forgot! Be real careful not to breathe dust if you're sanding on nickel, or to get any in your mouth or an open cut. Nickel is a sensitizer for all kinds of allergies, and makes them worse, for some people.

Let us know how it works for you!
Thanks,
Randy Orman
fancypiper
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fancypiper »

I use a plumbers tubing cutting tool for working with brass tubing. They run $4-10 in most hardware stores.