Sony Voice Recorder (aka Session Tune Grabber)

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
BillChin
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Sony Voice Recorder (aka Session Tune Grabber)

Post by BillChin »

eskin wrote:For session tune grabbing I use a Sony ICD-ST10 voice recorder, put together this article on the subject:

http://www.uptospeed.net/hoi/digitalrecorders.html
Michael
Based on Michael's write up, I bought a refurbished Sony ICD-ST10 from simplycheap.com ($70 + $9 shipping, full retail is $150). It arrived today, and overall I am pleased. My plans are to record my own playing at home, record live music at various venues such as church, a monthly music group, and open mics. I will also use it to record voice. As a songwriter, having such a tiny lightweight device allows me to always carry it, to record song ideas as they come rather than holding the thought until I can get it down in some other form.

One surprise is how loud the recordings are using the internal mic. Equally surprising is that using an external mic forces me much closer to the unit. The Sony is a big step up in recording technology from my cheap mics and my integrated sound card.

One key feature for session musicians, mentioned by Michael, is the ability to slow down or speed up recorded tunes and keep the pitch the same. The Sony allows this to be done in 10% increments. It uses two AAA batteries and the manual says to expect 7 to 12 hours from each set. Memory will hold 41 minutes of stereo, and about 2 hours of mono. There is also LP mode but that is probably not suitable for music.

The Sony uses its own file formats, and comes with software to convert it to WAV files for saving on the computer. Transfer is via USB port. I use CDex to convert to MP3. I can also convert WAV files to the Sony format if for some reason I want to move a sound file from the computer to the Sony.

I think the Sony will end up being more useful to me than some other competing budget items such as another whistle, a better sound card, or a better mic. As I work with it more, I will report back.
+ Bill
BillChin

Post by BillChin »

So far I've used the Sony voice recorder at church, at my monthly music group, at a lecture. Overall I am very pleased. I came right up to the two hour capacity, but it is more than usuable. At the lecture, all the audience questions were clearly heard and that is a pleasant surprise.

For dedicated session players, the larger capacity model with memory stick capability might be the better way to go. The other alternative is to lug around a laptop to dump the memory through the USB port. One drawback is that if I save as separate song files (my preference) there does not seem to be a quick way to transfer all the files. Instead, I am clicking one at a time and for forty songs that is a chore.

Recording quality at SP resolution is reasonable. It is not CD quality, but plenty good enough to hear the music and voices and enjoy the songs.
+ Bill
eskin

Post by eskin »

Hi Bill,

Glad to hear that its working well for you!

Now, Sony has released the larger memory ICD-ST25 with double the memory for the same price: $149.95. I found them for sale at the local Circuit City. I believe the ST10 has been discontinued.

I find that the Sony T-style stereo microphone really does a nice job with this recorder.

Cheers,

Michael
BillChin

Post by BillChin »

Michael,

Thanks for all the information. I am glad I bought a refurbished model (at $70), or I would be experiencing some serious buyers remorse at this point, a few days after the return period.

For those still shopping, a search turns up the new ICD-ST25 model for $127 + $10 shipping at:
http://www.digitalfotoclub.com/sc/main_ ... 04_18_2004

The new ICD-ST25 does four hours in SP mode, which is plenty for most sessions. Again, one big feature for session players is the built in slow down function to aid in learning tunes by ear. Again, I think this recording device will turn out to be more helpful to me, than a new whistle, a new mic, or a new sound card.
+ Bill
franfriel

Post by franfriel »

Thank you all! This info is timely and an answer to a prayer.

This girlz goin' shoppin'!

Fran
8)
An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth creates a world that is blind and toothless - Ghandi

I suspect blind and toothless may not be optimum for good whistle playing...but then again...
BillChin

Post by BillChin »

Another update:
I've had the voice recorder for about a month now. It is getting a ton of use. I have used the voice recorder at church, at an open mic, at my monthly music group, at lectures, in small-group settings, as a songwriting scratchpad for original ideas, and recording American Idol songs from TV. It is small and light enough to take anywhere, and be unobtrusive. For instance, I don't want to be bringing a large rig to church. It is small enough for me to take on my daily walks without being a burden. I get some of my best songwriting ideas while walking.

I am using SP mode for two hours of recording time. The newer model has four hours at this resolution. The quality of recorded music approximates AM radio. Overall I am very pleased. With the built in mic I was able to record a presentation, with the speaker using a microphone and public address system and the audience asking many questions. Even the quiet people in the audience can be heard on the recording.

I just bought a Sony ECM-DS70P electret mic, again on the recommendations of those that have come before me. It is a t-shaped mic that plugs directly into the port (no cord needed). There is a 3-foot long cord so I can use it with the computer in a pinch. Quality is better with the new mic. My musicianship seems like more of the limiting factor right now.

I used the slow down feature to aide me in transcribing notes. For session players wanting to pick up tunes by ear, I see this feature putting the Sony device ahead of most others.

While I can recommend this device, there are a few minor complaints. I fuss with is the one-inch long play lever with its three functions. In aiming for the middle, sometimes I get the top or bottom instead and those functions. When it is inside its little case, I have accidentally hit the play button and it starts playing. While transfer to computer is fast and easy, there is no way to batch process files (do a bunch at once). Instead, I have to transfer each file by hand. When I have forty song files from my music group meeting this becomes a real chore.

Again, the voice recorder is more useful to me than a new whistle, a new soundcard, or a better mic for the computer. Highly recommended.
+ Bill