Beginner a little frustrated

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
starman
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Beginner a little frustrated

Post by starman »

Hi,

Since I'm not far along the road to whistle mastery my $.02 probably isn't worth much but I'm not buying any more whistles for a while and I intend to practice on the ones easiest for me to play until I can tell which ones irritate the dog and family least. I'll list the ones I have in order of increasing difficulty for me to play though:(all soprano D's)

Generation (real easy to get clean transition to 2nd octave and good sound)

Soodlum's mello D (close 2nd)

Susato (OK but I haven't played it much)

Walton's little black whistle (It just doesn't sound good in my hands)

Clarke original (takes too much wind in 2nd octave and 2nd octave notes don't sound clean)

Mike
"I never think of the future. It comes soon enough." --Albert Einstein
vomitbunny
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by vomitbunny »

I've got an oak that was fair out of the box. Breath wise very touchy though. Squeeky. I tweaked it a bit, including a thin plastic strip to extend the blade on the underside. Its a bit more solid and smoother now, but it is still very touchy on the breath. I have a hard time deciding if I really like it or not.
Right out of the box, I thought it had mostly a gen type sound, but now it's been tweaked, it really doesn't resemble a gen much. Eh. What the heck. Ten bucks. I'll mess with it a bit more. Probably buy another one or so. I havn't got the C yet.
My opinion is stupid and wrong.
Cayden

Re: MATERIAL.

Post by Cayden »

talbert st.claire wrote: The Oak has a mouthpiece you mentioned where as the ones I play are the Chieftain/Overton brands.l
So you were really comparing apples and pears and your information was not really relevant? <resist pun on THICK AND DENSE> :-?
Talbert St. Claire
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Talbert St. Claire »

Hi Peter! I LOVE YOU TOO MORE THAN LIFE ITSELF!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

P.S. YOU ARE SOOOOOO SWEET! You almost remind me of Apples and Pears! You go Boy!
Last edited by Talbert St. Claire on Fri Apr 30, 2004 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
If you discover you have a "perfect" Low Whistle, don't sell it. Trust me, I know! If it's close to perfection, don't sell it. Trust me, I know! If you feel that it's difficult to adjust to but you still feel a deep connection to it, don't sell it. Just give it to me!!!
norseman

Post by norseman »

TelegramSam wrote:Although Oaks are usually pretty decent by default, there is the chance you've gotten a stinker, but I'd wager not. I have a rather spiffy Oak that I love. It's my favorite cheap whistle. Oak whistles take finer breath control than most cheap whistles. They also generally take less air than any other whistle I've encountered (which isn't a whole lot beyond the cheapo range but still).

You may just want to shelf it for a while and use the others until you've been practicing a little while longer, or you can just stick with it until you can make it work. Try blowing softer, not harder.
It's definately the breath control. I found that by having the mouthpiece just barely in my mouth so the opening between the lips is narrower than the mouthpiece opening, I can control the high notes much easier. It does seem like I'm blowing softer.

Even though I can already play better on the Clarke's and Dixon, I feel it's worth the extra effort to gain the breath control needed to make the Oak sound good. It's sound is much closer to what I want a whistle to sound like.

Bob
Bloomfield

Re: MATERIAL.

Post by Bloomfield »

Oh, come on, Peter! Don't start picking on my buddy Talbert. Don't read too closely, after all, Talbert and I, we're material boys. :)
talbert st.claire wrote:... However, I really understand the material side of things. My observation was really just based on the "MATERIAL" side of things. ....
/Bloomfield
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

I have had 'Material Girl' bouncing around my head all afternoon but thank god I couldn't remember the actual song :lol:
Steven

Post by Steven »

Peter Laban wrote:I have had 'Material Girl' bouncing around my head all afternoon but thank god I couldn't remember the actual song :lol:
Well Geez Peter, you gotta go trying to get it stuck in all our heads too??!!!

:boggle:
Steven
Talbert St. Claire

great!

You guys are GREAT!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: - Tal
If you discover you have a "perfect" Low Whistle, don't sell it. Trust me, I know! If it's close to perfection, don't sell it. Trust me, I know! If you feel that it's difficult to adjust to but you still feel a deep connection to it, don't sell it. Just give it to me!!!
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

But WE try to keep it to OURSELVES :D
Talbert St. Claire

!

Peter, :(

You must be really depressed! Try to enjoy life MORE!!! I recently had a number of folks drop me emails telling me to avoid you, believe it or not! Board members can sense a good spirit from a BAD ONE. You seem VERY NEGATIVE ABOUT THINGS. It's true, I have lot's of confidence in myself and that's a positive thing! I LOVE WHAT i AM DOING AND HAVE A REAL PASSION FOR PLAYING. I refuse to be at odds with someone else especially when they are only trying to enjoy one another on the board for whatever it's worth! Try to act more MATURE. Ireland is a beautiful place so enjoy your home because there are many things to take your mind off all this NEGATIVE STUFF! On the other hand some people just never learn.-Tal :(
Monster

Post by Monster »

Talbert

I really don't see the point of saying that someone is a negative personality, appearantly just because they disagree with you on some whistle related topics of some sort. Ok, you and Peter have been going at it for a while appearantly. You wrote this.

Peter,

You must be really depressed! Try to enjoy life MORE!!! I recently had a number of folks drop me emails telling me to avoid you, believe it or not! Board members can sense a good spirit from a BAD ONE. You seem VERY NEGATIVE ABOUT THINGS. It's true, I have lot's of confidence in myself and that's a positive thing! I LOVE WHAT i AM DOING AND HAVE A REAL PASSION FOR PLAYING. I refuse

You are not really saying anything in the above except you are great and that someone else is not great. You build yourself up while tearing others down. If you are a professional musician, so what? That doesn't give you wholesale license to asassinate character and spread strife. Please try to be sensible about how you speak about others!
insert uber smart comment here
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

You're really something, I'll give you that.

For what it's worth, I get my share of PM's too :P :P
Bloomfield

Re: !

Post by Bloomfield »

talbert st.claire wrote:Peter, :(

You must be really depressed! Try to enjoy life MORE!!! I recently had a number of folks drop me emails telling me to avoid you, believe it or not! Board members can sense a good spirit from a BAD ONE. You seem VERY NEGATIVE ABOUT THINGS. It's true, I have lot's of confidence in myself and that's a positive thing! I LOVE WHAT i AM DOING AND HAVE A REAL PASSION FOR PLAYING. I refuse to be at odds with someone else especially when they are only trying to enjoy one another on the board for whatever it's worth! Try to act more MATURE. Ireland is a beautiful place so enjoy your home because there are many things to take your mind off all this NEGATIVE STUFF! On the other hand some people just never learn.-Tal :(
Talbert :D

You must be really boring! Try to be FUNNIER! I recently had a number of folks drop me emails telling me to avoid you, believe it or not! Board members can sense a cool cat from a WANKER. You seem VERY NEGATIVE ABOUT JOKES AND OTHER'S OPINIONS. It's true we all here kid around a lot and that's a positive thing! WE LOVE WHAT WE DO AND HAVE A REAL PASSION FOR POSTING ON THE CHIFFBOARD. Tal, please refuse to be at odds with us, and try to enjoy everyone on the board for whatever it's worth! Try to act more MATURE. The chiffboard is a beautiful place and meant to be fun so enjoy our community and take your mind off yourself and your PRECIOUS EGO! On the other hand some people just never learn. ;)

:D
Last edited by Bloomfield on Fri Apr 30, 2004 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
/Bloomfield
ChrisLaughlin

Re: !

Post by ChrisLaughlin »

talbert st.claire wrote: On the other hand some people just never learn.-Tal :(
Sometimes we provide the most brilliant insights into our own selves.