Davy Spillane's whistles?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
The Weekenders
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by The Weekenders »

Ay, Chihuahua!!! Use the edit button, the both of ye's.
How do you prepare for the end of the world?
Tyghress

Post by Tyghress »

The Weekenders wrote:Ay, Chihuahua!!! Use the edit button, the both of ye's.
Ditto
Remember, you didn't get the tiger so it would do what you wanted. You got the tiger to see what it wanted to do. -- Colin McEnroe
plagon2000

Post by plagon2000 »

Nice pic Tal!
On another topic, can anyone remember the name of that film where the principal baddie died, and the two heroes carted hie body around all weekend and persuaded everyone else he was still alive?
Tony
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

Good Job Talbert!
However, that guy bears a strong resemblance to Julio Sanchez captain of the fishing boat "The Sea Of Dreams"
Brian Lee

Post by Brian Lee »

Bloomfield wrote: To my mind, Davey Spillane is a brilliant musician. All he owes the world is to make music. I just can't work myself up about any of the rest of this.

Sure, there is the surreal experience of Talbert St Claire. Fine.

But what I don't appreciate, frankly, is this judgmental tone of righteous indignation and self-importance from a beginner piper from Utah whose people skills could do with improving themselves.
Bloomie, it's great to know you value his musical expression. I don't think his talent on the pipes or whistles (or mine) was the question here. If I've caused you some discomfort - well, frankly I can live with that and won't be loosing any sleep. The facts are the facts. You're welcome to read into it whatever you like.

This whole thing just gets weirder and weirder is all - and many of us are not inclined to 'bite' at this latest bait and rush out to buy one of these whistles if/when they ever do become available. (really available.)
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

Brian Lee wrote: If I've caused you some discomfort - well, frankly I can live with that and won't be loosing any sleep.
Fair enough :)
Brian Lee wrote: The facts are the facts.
*hollow laugh
/Bloomfield
Brian Lee

Post by Brian Lee »

Ya know, I'm sorry Bloomie. It wasn't fair to you and I simply shouldn't have said what I did. Sincerely, I don't mean to tick you or anyone else off. I'm just tired of being jerked around on the Spillane choke chain year after year. Lots of us are. And it's literally impossible for us to get excited over what sounds like being a horribly average if not even sub-par new low whistle.
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

Brian Lee wrote:Ya know, I'm sorry Bloomie. It wasn't fair to you and I simply shouldn't have said what I did. Sincerely, I don't mean to tick you or anyone else off. I'm just tired of being jerked around on the Spillane choke chain year after year. Lots of us are. And it's literally impossible for us to get excited over what sounds like being a horribly average if not even sub-par new low whistle.
Oh, Brian. I'm sorry, too. I shouldn't have said that about beginner and Utah.

I am just not sure that it is actually Spillane who is doing the jerking around. (Nor am I ready to rely on Phil Hardy for accurate information. But that's just me.)
/Bloomfield
Brian Lee

Post by Brian Lee »

I don't think it's just Phil, and as much he (Spillane) may hate to admit it, they do have some ties to each other...even if they're several years old. But it's deeper than that.

There was a time (I think probably around 1994-95) that I thought Spillane was all that and a bag of chips. Now it just feels like he's more a bag of hot air. And what little bits of information we get from second and third had sources only seems to me anyway to support that.

*sigh*

You're certainly welcome to come out to Utah anytime and this beginning piper will be glad to stand you a pint. ;) And I promise not to play anything unless you really want to hear it.
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

Ok. What this thread needs now is a response from Talbert.

Wait for it..........

Dale
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

plagon2000 wrote:Nice pic Tal!
On another topic, can anyone remember the name of that film where the principal baddie died, and the two heroes carted hie body around all weekend and persuaded everyone else he was still alive?
Weekend At Bernies?
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
IDAwHOa
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

Brian Lee wrote: WHY would I even think about ordering something from this guy? I don't care what your last name is or how many Mikey Flatley concerts you've played at...it doesn't seem to make Spillane any better at people skills. :roll:
OK, the apparent method of manufacture and my perceived business acuity of this person tells me to not look for this whistle on his web site like a ton of other whistlesmiths do. No personal attention here. Look for it in your local big box music store a la the George Forman grill. (Does anyone honestly believe George makes any of those grills himself?)

Either that or he could turn the sales over to some marketing/manufaturing giant and he just collects the royalties.

Quality is not the only thing that sells. Name recognition does too. His name would sell them nearly as well as anything else. All they have to do is tie this product to some recognizable event and it goes out the door to a lot of people, well some people anyway.
Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
Talbert St. Claire
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Hi!

Post by Talbert St. Claire »

Hi there Dale,

Actually, I really do not want to get in the way of everyone expressing themselves here. Many people feel very strong regarding Davy!! In regard's to his whistle & the maker of it it's all in that thread that Norcal provided from Gaelic C.

Davy does play the Overtons but uses his own at times when performing! How often I am not to sure. I really hope Dale that Davy considers giving you an interview sometime in the future. It would not hurt him at all that's for sure! I guess he's being a bit selective for his own reasons. Speaking for myself. If it was me I would love to do it as I would feel an obligation to all that have supported me over the yrs. But that's me. I cannot speak for someone else regarding that one.

Davy has recorded an album w/ Sony & that cd will feature the new Low Whistle. You'll like it I'm sure of it. A video will soon follow.

To those who asked about Davy's eyes being closed. I suppose it's like any other natural shot. I gave this picture because it's the only really close up of Davy. Some folks said to me off the board in private that they feel that I have never met Davy. Even after all my comments about him. So I decided to offer the picture as a gift to your board Dale!! :)

For legal reasons I cannot supply any pictures of him playing as that would be damaging to me perhaps, personally! Anyhow, enjoy the picture.
Davy is a very cool guy to know. Not always laid back in conversation but a good old chap nonetheless. - Best, Tal
If you discover you have a "perfect" Low Whistle, don't sell it. Trust me, I know! If it's close to perfection, don't sell it. Trust me, I know! If you feel that it's difficult to adjust to but you still feel a deep connection to it, don't sell it. Just give it to me!!!
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

I'm thinking that if Davy every approached me about doing an interview (I've approached him more than once and won't again), I think what I will do is decline and select a subscriber to Chiff & Fipple at random, just a regular amateur or semi-amateur whistle player, and interview him or her instead.
FJohnSharp
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

I'm very interesting. I make my own cheese.
"Meon an phobail a thogail trid an chultur"
(The people’s spirit is raised through culture)

Suburban Symphony