So Who Got Whistles for Christmas?!?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Loren
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

C'mon Gang,

I know some of you HAD to get new whistles or other instruments yesterday...why so quiet about it out there this year?

As for me: I gave myself the gift of buying Chris Laughlin's Madagascar Rosewood Abell Eb, D, C set. They arrived just in time on Christmas Eve, and I'm quite happy to have them - beautiful looking and sounding whistles.

Now, what about the rest of you? :smile:

Loren
Coleman
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Coleman »

greetings ...im new to this site and yes i got a whistle for christmas ...well my one year old son did so im just testing it out for him....do you have any idea if there are any sites out there which have the music tunes in the numbered version as opposed to the sheet music type ...any feedback would be much appreciated#
happy new year
C

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Coleman on 2001-12-26 09:59 ]</font>
Feadan

Post by Feadan »

Well...they came at Christmas but that was coincidence (on my part anyway but perhaps not Jim Rementer's). I got my nickel C, D, & Eb Copelands which completes my Copeland collection and gives me an extra D as well. :smile:

David

P.S. Oh yeah. Santa brought my son and daughter groovy transparent plastic Yamaha recorders from the Whistle Shop (Thanks Thom!).

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Feadan on 2001-12-26 11:13 ]</font>
Teri-K

Post by Teri-K »

No whistles for me, but a set of smallpipes. I had asked Santa but he told me nope, no way, not this year because we're going to England and Ireland in March. Well, he got them, put them in a huge box and set a tin full of shoe shine wax and brushes in the bottom. When I shook the box, it sounded as though it was full of pots and pans. He's pulled off some great surprises in the past, but won the award this year.
Teri
Feadan

Post by Feadan »

On 2001-12-26 10:12, Teri-K wrote:
No whistles for me, but a set of smallpipes.
Awesome! :smile: What kind? Northumbrian? Scottish? What key?

Cheers,
David
raindog1970
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by raindog1970 »

Santa brought me an old-style wide bore brass and a composite Burke soprano D.
Now I have soprano D Burkes in all three available materials.
I was amazed at just how much difference there is between the old-style and the newer Burkes.
The old design has a much more traditional tinwhistle sound compared to the mellow, flute-like sound of the newer ones.
I can't say I have a preference between the two... they are just two very different whistles, each with their own special characteristics.
The composite whistle is very loud... right up there with Susatos and Water Weasels.
I don't think I'll be doing any recording work with it, but it would be ideal for playing in a session... if I could just find one in Tennessee where they play Irish trad instead of bluegrass! :wink:
Anybody know where I could find a session in Tennessee that I could sit in on?
Regards,
Gary Humphrey

♪♣♫Humphrey Whistles♫♣♪

[Raindogs] The ones you see wanderin' around after a rain. Ones that can't find their way back home. See the rain washes off the scent off all the mail boxes and the lamposts, fire hydrants. – Tom Waits
MikeClem

Post by MikeClem »

Greetings All,

This is the first time I've posted, although I've lurked for about a year. Santa brought me a shiny new Burke D Al Pro. What a great instrument.

Raindog - I've heard rumors of a session in Nashville. I'll dig a little deeper and let you know what I find out.

MC
Patrick

Post by Patrick »

My dad gave me a Susato ocarina. Fun little thing, really!

I'm hoping my brother will take my very strong hints and send me about half of Thom's stock from the Whistle Shop. We'll see.

I hope everyone's Christmas was blessed with friends and family.

-Patrick
TonyaD

Post by TonyaD »

do you have any idea if there are any sites out there which have the music tunes in the numbered version as opposed to the sheet music
The site for Erik the Flute Maker has a lot of songs with number notation only.

http://www.eriktheflutemaker.com/detail.cfm?menu_id=588
Coleman

Post by Coleman »

Thanx for the Link Tonya...I'll shall be having a go at a few of those...by the way if you know of any more similar sites with more of an Irish slant I would be very grateful.
I'll just have too start learning by ear otherwise ...so it looks like I'll be plodding along for quite a while; but I suppose thats half the fun anyway.
Happy New Year.
C
Teri-K

Post by Teri-K »

David:

A set of mouthblown SSP in the key of D. I'm glad I took today, tomorrow and Friday as vacation days.
Teri
amanderthad

Post by amanderthad »

Hey all. I'm new to this board, I hope everyone here had their Christmas wishes fulfilled.

as for me...

no whistle under the tree, although I was given a plastic Yammaha recorder. I have to say I like it better than anything else I got this year. Being able to hit an extra full step in the lower register, and to play an occasional sharp or flat easily, is a great thing. I am wondering, however, when will these new recorder fingerings show up as unwelcome guests when playing the whistle. If this were to happen I think I would have to put down this new toy, because I am in love with the whistle, but only in love with the idea of the recorder.

Anyway, I can't wait for next Christmas. I am going to get on a waiting list for a set of pipes soon, so this time next year I might be learning how to play that lovely beast.

Cheers

Matt
Goldie

Post by Goldie »

Merry Christmas to you all. Well, I am off topic now as I did not get a whistle BUT I got a Hurdy-Gurdy :smile:... hehe... this is going to be fun for the neighbours til I have a little idea how this thing wants to be played... it is just great :grin: Hope you all had such a nice christmas as we did over here, even snow in time for a white one
Brigitte

P.S. Colin did get a whistle, of course. As I am allowed to say, it is a wonderful looking black wood Fred Rose high D and I really like how it sounds and also an Olwell bamboo G from a friend which is also very nice, maybe this does count as being on topic :wink:?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Goldie on 2001-12-26 16:02 ]</font>
Wandering_Whistler

Post by Wandering_Whistler »

No whisltes for me this year. My mom had contacted Noah about getting me a laughing whistle, because she thought the telescoping idea was neat (she stumbled across C&F on her own and researched a whistle to buy for me). Luckily, Noah couldn't get it made by Xmas..and I say luckily, because I got one of these myself last year!

So, instead she got me a buncha non-whistle stuff: A gorgeous hand-made, hand painted porcelain flute (transverse, 6-finger) in low G, 2 sets of panpipes (one rounded, one flat), and an excellent hand-painted clay 8-hole ocarina (6 on top, 2 on bottom). :smile: The panpipes are cheapy tourist catchers, but the other two instruments (ocarina and porcelain flute) sound beautiful.

Greg
avanutria
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

No whistles for me either, but I have a laughing whistle and a rose whistle on order, and I got the LOTR Soundtrack CD and the latest Gaelic Storm CD.