Piccolo method

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Redwolf
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Piccolo method

Post by Redwolf »

Hey all,

I'm trying to learn the piccolo, but I'm finding embouchure and breathing to be incredibly difficult. Is there a book out there, or perhaps a website, that offers a regular method for learning? I really do best if I take things step by step, and that's one thing that a book is really good for.

This is a folk piccolo in D...basically a transverse whistle. :)

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
glauber
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by glauber »

Do you play flute?

I find that piccolo is not very different from flute. Everybody in the beginning does this thing of blowing incredibly hard in the piccolo, but if you think of it, it's like playing the flute in the second octave. The main difficulty is that the blowhole is smaller, so you have to be more precise.

good luck!

g
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
Jack

Post by Jack »

Oops. I accidentally deleted BOTH posts.

Heh.

I agree that flute is easier, but much similar.

Blow "across", not "into" the hole. That will make a big difference.

Also, practice spitting watermelon seeds a long distance. Notice how your lips are pursed. Purse them in the same way when trying to produce sound on the piccolo.

Good luck.
Redwolf

Post by Redwolf »

glauber wrote:Do you play flute?

I find that piccolo is not very different from flute. Everybody in the beginning does this thing of blowing incredibly hard in the piccolo, but if you think of it, it's like playing the flute in the second octave. The main difficulty is that the blowhole is smaller, so you have to be more precise.

good luck!

g
No, I don't. In fact, the reason I originally started playing the whistle is I had no idea how to manage the embouchure for the flute! It's just we have this nice little piccolo (it's my husbands, but it's so pretty!), and I can't stand not being able to play it.

Redwolf
glauber

Post by glauber »

As Cran said, flute is a little easier, but not terribly much so. But you may want to get a Tipple PVC flute or one of the less expensive but still good bamboo flutes to get started, then the piccolo should come easier.
--Wellsprings--
Jack

Post by Jack »

I have heard nothing but positive words about Alan's flutes.
I.D.10-t

What note are you trying to play?

Post by I.D.10-t »

Low A G and F might be the easiest to sound first,
Work your way out from there. I find at times the
middle D is easier than lowest D.

Although it sounds to me that you want a prettier whistle.
Sweet makes a pretty fife whistle combination that could
make you and your husband happy. :wink:
Redwolf

Re: What note are you trying to play?

Post by Redwolf »

I.D.10-t wrote:Low A G and F might be the easiest to sound first,
Work your way out from there. I find at times the
middle D is easier than lowest D.

Although it sounds to me that you want a prettier whistle.
Sweet makes a pretty fife whistle combination that could
make you and your husband happy. :wink:
Not really...I have lots of pretty whistles, including a Sweetheart Professional. I'm just interested in a new challenge (having always wanted to play something like this, but never having been able to master the embouchure and never having had the money for lessons). It would also be nice to have the volume on occasion...my Sweetheart, Busman and Susatos have good volume, for whistles, but they're never going to carry outdoors like a piccolo.

Redwolf
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

Ah… So the truth comes out.
Shouldn’t you have posted this on the flute form.

The fife/piccolo/band flute is a wonderful instrument that will not be easy to Start playing (the whistle is easy to start playing, but in my opinion just as hard to play well) but the benefits will no doubt make you pleased you took the effort.

Does your husband Play? If it is his piccolo than why can’t he help you play. Not an insult, just seems strange..

Remember to sit proper. On the edge of a good chair, back straight head up elbows in.
Get into good habits now and you will not have too break bad habits latter.

One of the things to keep in mind is that you should pull your lips tight like you are making a fake smile without showing teeth. Now turn the corners of your mouth down and form a small hole with your lips. now say the word too (you do not want to “spit” into your piccolo, but blow at the edge). Your bottem lip should almost meet the rear edge of the hole. Roll the instrument in and out until you get a sound.

Because you play the whistle, I will not bore you with fingering. By the time you hit the third D you will have learned what the additional fingering is necessary.

One thing to try is to play a note and see how you can change it. You can make it sharp or flat and you can play it loud or soft. Soft is the hardest to play and you should practice playing as soft as you can. Most importantly play it and perfect the note that you are playing.
Redwolf

Post by Redwolf »

I.D.10-t wrote:Ah… So the truth comes out.
Shouldn’t you have posted this on the flute form.

The fife/piccolo/band flute is a wonderful instrument that will not be easy to Start playing (the whistle is easy to start playing, but in my opinion just as hard to play well) but the benefits will no doubt make you pleased you took the effort.

Does your husband Play? If it is his piccolo than why can’t he help you play. Not an insult, just seems strange..

Remember to sit proper. On the edge of a good chair, back straight head up elbows in.
Get into good habits now and you will not have too break bad habits latter.

One of the things to keep in mind is that you should pull your lips tight like you are making a fake smile without showing teeth. Now turn the corners of your mouth down and form a small hole with your lips. now say the word too (you do not want to “spit” into your piccolo, but blow at the edge). Your bottem lip should almost meet the rear edge of the hole. Roll the instrument in and out until you get a sound.

Because you play the whistle, I will not bore you with fingering. By the time you hit the third D you will have learned what the additional fingering is necessary.

One thing to try is to play a note and see how you can change it. You can make it sharp or flat and you can play it loud or soft. Soft is the hardest to play and you should practice playing as soft as you can. Most importantly play it and perfect the note that you are playing.
Thanks. My husband is just learning too, and we've both been going at it in a fairly hit-or-miss fashion, I'm afraid.

Redwolf
ladyceres

Post by ladyceres »

Hello,
Most of the best tips have been said already, but I just wanted to add that breath control is VERY important when playing piccolo. It is nearly impossible to get the proper sound if you're not sitting up straight and using your diaphram muscle to push the air across the hole. Also, your embouchure (mouth position) must be very tight, especially at the corners. You'll know you're doing it right when it starts to hurt! You'll only be able to do it for a short time at first. After a while, the muscles will be developed enough for it to feel natural. I played piccolo for 7 years and I think this is the first time I tried to explain it to someone. I wish you well in your endeavours!
glauber

Post by glauber »

ladyceres wrote:Hello,
Most of the best tips have been said already, but I just wanted to add that breath control is VERY important when playing piccolo. It is nearly impossible to get the proper sound if you're not sitting up straight and using your diaphram muscle to push the air across the hole. Also, your embouchure (mouth position) must be very tight, especially at the corners. You'll know you're doing it right when it starts to hurt! You'll only be able to do it for a short time at first. After a while, the muscles will be developed enough for it to feel natural. I played piccolo for 7 years and I think this is the first time I tried to explain it to someone. I wish you well in your endeavours!
I don't mean to pick on you specifically, and i agree with most of what you say, but the part about "you'll know you're doing it right when it starts to hurt" doesn't jive with my experience. IMHO, if it's hurting then something is wrong;you should be able to play with a relaxed embouchure and still keep the air focused; this gets even more important when you're learning to play on the 3rd octave without being too loud.
--Wellsprings--
Jack

Post by Jack »

I agree with glauber.

Also, as far as posture, it's important, but many good flute players have less than perfect posture. I'm far from a good flautist, but I can play upside down, bent over, and/or laying down.

Just practice, practice, practice, (without pain) and you'll get more proficient in time.
mvhplank
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by mvhplank »

glauber wrote:
ladyceres wrote:Hello,
I don't mean to pick on you specifically, and i agree with most of what you say, but the part about "you'll know you're doing it right when it starts to hurt" doesn't jive with my experience. IMHO, if it's hurting then something is wrong;you should be able to play with a relaxed embouchure and still keep the air focused; this gets even more important when you're learning to play on the 3rd octave without being too loud.
I think what ladyceres means by "hurt" is what you feel when using little muscles you don't normally use. As a fluter (and fifer, and piccolo-er) myself, I can tell when I've been slacking off too long when I play for a while and then the effort of holding the embrochure begins to strain--and while it's not a sharp pain, the little muscles at the corners of my mouth do start to complain. People who play all the time get those muscles in condition and never notice it, but a newcomer (or a slacker like myself) sure will.

Glauber, I find if my embrochure is too relaxed, I waste a lot of air and the tone is breathy and not as pure as I would like. Of course that's not to say that's the only way to play--you have to decide what you want to sound like and go for it.

So yeah, Redwolf, you'll recognize that something new is going on and like any new muscular activity, don't try to do it for hours and hours. How on earth would you explain strained mouth muscles? That would invite too much unwelcome comment! :D

M
Marguerite
Gettysburg
ladyceres

Post by ladyceres »

Yes, I mean that your muscles that aren't used to being used would make themselves very obvious. If you've been playing too long, those embouchure muscles would start to feel like they're giving out. There's literally no way you can force them to cooperate after that. Anyone who plays will know what I mean. It's very prominent at the beginning because the piccolo embouchure is so much tighter than the flute's.

To sum up, would "ache" have been a better, less offensive, word to use?