uilleann pipes plan

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
John Mulhern
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by John Mulhern »

Joseph, please stop now. Uilliam does post some useful information from time to time, and has been helpful in answering some of my questions in the past. I'm sorry that he seems to have taken the bit on this topic, but let's not egg him on any further. He's clearly taking us far too seriously. Slalom ... I mean, Salami .... er, Shalom.

djm
May I second that? Bill & I may have our differences on some issues, :D ...but he's a highly knowledgable piper, and a valuable contributor to the knowledge base of this forum. FWIW, I like the Garvin book too, and recommended it to Patrice when he posted the same question on Googles
rmmb.
Tony
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

John Mulhern wrote:....FWIW, I like the Garvin book too, and recommended it to Patrice when he posted the same question on Googles
rmmb.
Do they fight over there like we do ??
Douglas

Post by Douglas »

Can we keep the original topic going? When Patrice posted this question I decided to keep checking on this one.

I have been very interested in this subject and have considered purchasing the Ginsburg plans for quite some time know, but I would like to have All of the chanter bore dimensions. Are there other good sources besides what has been mentioned.

I know, If you have a really good set of pipes you can measure those. But you want to start with measurements of a Really good set.

Thanks
Brian Lee

Post by Brian Lee »

Yeesh! Well, half the time I can't understand a bloody thing ulliam writes anyway! It's like dual-personalities...one minute pretty good english - the next, some weird ultra-brouge that doesn't make much sense at all. I can't tell if he's helping, swearing, or doing Andean throat singing! :lol:

Yeah, it's a jab - meant in good fun. Treat it as such.
Jim McGuire

Post by Jim McGuire »

With no standard for Irish pipes as regards to tuning, chanter design, etc, many people out there are happy with different results. It's not surprising that people would try to build the Garvin set since there are not many other instructions out there.

Some people are disappointed with the Garvin book since it leaves out the complexity but it is a good starting point. Alain Froment spent 360 hours making a C set recently. Try and get that into a book or set of pages of instructions.
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

John Mulhern wrote:

"May I second that? Bill & I may have our differences on some issues, ...but he's a highly knowledgable piper, and a valuable contributor to the knowledge base of this forum"

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

...Can do. I also have the Garvin book, and have found it to be very informative and enlightening. Back in 1985, when I was bitten by the bug, there was no internet available to seek out and purchase a set of UPs. So I went to the main library in St. Paul Minnesota to read up on them and to my delight and surprise found Garvin's book. Inspired, I went out the next day and purchased a bunch of good rosewood to have a go at making my own chanter....but reality set in when I discovered the mountain of gear I would need to construct it, and put the rosewood aside for a time when I would have the tools. I still have the rosewood, but still no tools... someday...

Uilliam, my appologies again. I am usually very easy going, but for reasons known only to my psychiatrist and spirit guides, I experienced a momentary 'backslide'.
lemonsquash

Post by lemonsquash »

Because the issue has been raised more than once, I thought I might point out that the language Uilliam is using in his posts is not some freakish contrivance of his own or an attempt to be cryptic or pretentious. It is a phonetically accurate representation of dialect speech and has plenty of precedent in literature--in Uilliam's case, the entire catalog of Robert Burns' poetry and song. Stick your head in a few books before you mouth off.
Brian Lee

Post by Brian Lee »

Riiiight. :really: Re-read the post if you don't mind. :roll:
Lorenzo

Post by Lorenzo »

Listen...

It should be easy to understand why The Horse Whisperers of uilleann piping seldom visit this board.
John Mulhern

Post by John Mulhern »

Do they fight over there like we do ??
Well, they would if the dang NG troll over there would let 'em get a word in edgewise & have a good fight. :P
John Mulhern

Post by John Mulhern »

Douglas, Bruce Childresses chanter dimensional data:

http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php ... ht=#138038
lemonsquash

Post by lemonsquash »

Reread the post? Is that kind of like when Don Rickles apologizes at the end of his act?
Brian Lee

Post by Brian Lee »

Brian Lee wrote:Yeah, it's a jab - meant in good fun. Treat it as such.
No just a highly obvious disclaimer. (quoted again for those who don't like to re-read things) ((Yep, this is another intentional jab, get over yourself. :waah: ))
lemonsquash

Post by lemonsquash »

Oh, sorry, I get it now..."jab' is an acronym for "joke, absent badinage". My mistake. And I promise to work on not taking language and knowledge so seriously.
AlanB
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by AlanB »

Lorenzo wrote:Listen...

It should be easy to understand why The Horse Whisperers of uilleann piping seldom visit this board.

Oh yes they do, They just hide behind made up funny names so you can insult them without realising it.

All the best

Patsy