Olwell bamboo flutes

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Whistlepeg
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Whistlepeg »

Forgive my ignorance, but what is the general opinion of Patrick Olwell's bamboo flutes at around $100, for a beginner instrument? Flute/whistle performer/player John Skelton highly recommends them, and I believe the waiting period is only a few weeks. How do they compare to the polymer flutes? Thanks,
Sue
LKtz

Post by LKtz »

I have played a bamboo flute and it was almost better than my wooden flute. But than again considering my wooden flute is a piece of crap, oh well, it's not like I am complaining, least it plays and doesn't have any major cracks...but back on to subject! I don't know if the bamboo flute I have played was by the maker you wanted to know about, but it was a nice flute. One problem with bamboo, it has a funky smell/taste after playing. But over great for starting flute people!
yerushalayim

Post by yerushalayim »

I own a Patrick Olwell Bamboo flute in the key of D. I would recommend them also. They are great flutes, beautiful sound for a great price. It just depends on the key you get how much it will be. The key of D is the most expensive. Also there are several muscians who use theses flutes for recordings on cds. I would say they are a must. I love mine.
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

I am endlessly enthusiastic about the Olwell bamboo flutes. I have an amazing video of Flook in concert, & that's the kind of flute Brian Finnegan plays, with astounding results. I'm not much of a flute player, but I've fooled around with several and found the bamboos to be my favorites.

Dale Wisely
Whistlepeg

Post by Whistlepeg »

Thanks all for your help. Much appreciated.
I think this is an inexpensive but good quality way of checking to see if I would like/be able to play flute.
Sue
MarcusR
Location: I stay in a place called 'Rooms'... There's a whole chain of them.

Post by MarcusR »

Hi!
I started with a M&E polymer flute by Michael Cronnolly. It's a very well made flute with a nice tone and quite a lot of timber to be made out of plastic. However, IT'S HEAVY! If I was to start all over again I would definitely buy a bamboo flute as my first purchase.<br> In the end you'll be wanting one in Rosewood, Blackwood, with keys, in different keys as well as a polymer flute to play at the local pub during crowded sessions or when there is a lot of empty bottles on the table.

Cheers!
/MarcusR
meir

Post by meir »

hay all,

sorry to dig up this thread which has rested in peace for years. just wanted to know if anyone has advice as to whether anything special has to be done to care for these flutes. anything different than other wooden flutes?

btw, my new low D is incredible. i am not even a flute player, just play whistle on my way to UPs. was able to get a tune on day 1. waited 5 months for mine.highly recommended.

thanks

meir
prunci

Post by prunci »

I also have an Olwell D bamboo that I love. I even love the burnt bamboo smell, which has now faded. I would add two observations to what has already been said here:

1. I find the bamboo flute very sensitive to fluctuations in humidity. If humidity changes quickly, I sometimes can bearly get anything but a squeal out of the flute. Maybe this holds for all wooden flutes, I don't know. Perhaps it's just me.

2. The holes on this flute are large and widely spaced, so if you learn on this one initially, as I am, the finger holes on other wooden flutes--even a large Olwell Pratten hardwood--feel smaller and more comfortable. Even the windway on a Pratten feels smaller by comparison, maybe due to its tapered bore as opposed to the cylindrical bamboo flute bore.
I'm waiting for a blackwood Hamilton to arrive, so I'll see if this holds true for it as well.

Anyway, like so many others here, I love this flute and recommend it highly.
Loren
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

On 2002-10-23 16:03, prunci wrote:
I also have an Olwell D bamboo that I love. I even love the burnt bamboo smell, which has now faded. I would add two observations to what has already been said here:

Even the windway on a Pratten feels smaller by comparison, maybe due to its tapered bore as opposed to the cylindrical bamboo flute bore.
Actually, part of the magic of the Olwell Bamboo flutes is that the bores aren't cylindrical - they are somewhat conical. Many of the other bamboo flute makers produce flutes with cylindrical bores, which is one of the main reasons why their flutes don't match the superior intonation and playability of the Patrick's bamboo instruments.

Loren
JessieK

Post by JessieK »

They rock!

:smile:
gcollins

Post by gcollins »

They roll!

:smile:
AaronMalcomb

Post by AaronMalcomb »

Sue, that flute I was toting around at the workshop last Saturday was a 3-piece Dixon polymer... it runs about $190 US. Dixon also has PVC flutes for cheaper (35 pounds sterling for tunable, 20 for non-tunable) and has a "low D duo", a low whistle with interchangeable heads to make it a flute (about $85 US).
I would guess the Olwell bamboo is probably better in tone than the PVCs though the finger spacing and hole size is probably more forgiving on the PVC. The 3-piece polymer would be closer to a blackwood flute's finger spacing and hole size.
I hope this helps.
Cheers,
Aaron
JessieK

Post by JessieK »

They jig! They reel!