Taking Your Whistle on an Airplane

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Emrys
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Taking Your Whistle on an Airplane

Post by Emrys »

Summer is upon us, and I love how portable my whistle is (I also play the harp, so you see why I am so appreciative!)... However, I am wondering about getting my metal whistle (which is too dear to me to pack--I want to carry it on) through the gate. Anyone had any experience with taking your whistle on an airplane? They made me leave my penknife behind. Well, OK. But I sure don't want to be in a position where I'd have to leave my whistle behind. Will they believe it's not a tool of mass destruction (except perhaps to the eardrums)??
tin tin
Tell us something.: To paraphrase Mark Twain, a gentleman is someone who knows how to play the spoons and doesn't. I'm doing my best to be a gentleman.

Post by tin tin »

I carry on musical instruments every time I fly (always flute, but I've also flown with whistle, guitar, and last week, a banjo), and I've never had a problem. At most, they may scan it or ask to see it out of its case. However, you're not allowed to play during take-off and landing.
Micah
avanutria
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

I've taken high whistles, low whistles, a concertina, a bodhran, and a portable fiddle on airplanes - not all at once, though! - and have never run into any substantial problems. A couple of times they asked me to remove the metal tube from my carryon so they could see what it was. And no one knew what a concertina was. The xray guy was very interested in the fiddle, but in a good way.

Be polite, and let the xray people know ahead of time what to expect, and pack it near the top so it's easy to take out to show, and you will be fine! And most importantly, have fun on your trip!
An bhfuil aon dearmad i mo Ghaeilge? Abair mé, le do thoil!
DCrom

Post by DCrom »

They sell tinwhistles in the Duty-Free shop in Cork's airport (and, probably, other Irish airports). When I changed planes at Heathrow (which means you have to go through security again) the notoriously strict security folks at Heathrow didn't even blink.

I'll admit that I usually leave my best whistles at home and take plastic whistles in my carryon bag, but if I needed to take my good whistles with me they'd be there too, not in my checked luggage.

Though some of my low whistles could easily double as clubs. :twisted:
Last edited by DCrom on Fri Jun 25, 2004 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IDAwHOa
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

DCrom wrote: Though some of my low whistles could easily double as clubs. :twisted:
Commonly referred to here as a WOMD or Whistles of Mass Destruction.

Just don't tell THEM we call them that! :lol:
Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
Chuck_Clark
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Chuck_Clark »

Hmmm, good question, although in my hands the whistle would probably be considered a terrorist's weapon - especially if I started to play it.
Its Winter - Gotta learn to play the blues
SirNick
Tell us something.: I love Irish music! I am mostly a whistle player but would like to learn more about flutes. I also have a couple older whistles I'd like to sell and maybe pick up a bamboo flute to practice with.

Post by SirNick »

I always put my traveling whistle on top in my carry on bag. If they question, I just break into a few bars of the Flintstones theme. They develop a hollow look in their eyes and make a nodding head gesture for me to move on.... :sniffle:
"You have my undivided attention"
I.D.10-t

Your pipes?

Post by I.D.10-t »

If you travel out side the states sometimes they have duties on musical instruments after two. (Reading the Mexico tariffs) The guy sure looked at my fife strangely though. (I think he was wondering where you put the pot.)
Tom Dowling
Tell us something.: Well, I've been a contributor and visitor to this site since 2001. At one time or another, one of my photographs was the opening page photograph. My teacher was Bill Ochs. I play the Penny Whistle. Not a lot else to say.

Post by Tom Dowling »

Hello Laurel!

The last time I flew domestically I had about 18 whistles, predominantly metal bodied, with me in the carry on bag. The X-Ray technician (or whatever the correct term is) merely shrugged as the backpack passed through the viewer--didn't even open the backpack.

Go figure. I was hoping to have to play one as a demo of what they were, but apparently folks will go to any lengths to not hear me play!

Tom D.
Canbarelywhistle

Post by Canbarelywhistle »

Im going to Mexico this summer and I think it would be silly not to pack my little Clarke with me. It could rain for a day while Im there with the girlfriend so it would be nice to be able to practice for a lick in the room. Shes a singer, pianist, and music teacher so I dont have to worry about driving her mad. I suck and need practice. Badly. Its nice to have such a small, portable thing to play with.
Then again. I may never touch it while on vacation. Who knows. Its small enough to take it so at least you dont have to worry about getting a craving to play it and realize that you didnt bring it.
I hope reading music gets easier.
pipingturtle

Post by pipingturtle »

I've easily taken my Laughing Whistle all over the shop. I think I've had to take it out at the start of one of my trips from Heathrow (or it may have been going back home from Oz) but they didn't bat and eyelid when I took it in and out of Palestine, and the Israelis are really up on their security. :poke:

TTFN.
avanutria
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

Heathrow didn't care about my laughing whistle. They were actually more leery of the fact that I was travelling with only one small pack. For a minute I thought the check-in lady was going to refuse my reservation!

Not that getting stranded in London would be *entirely* a bad thing...
An bhfuil aon dearmad i mo Ghaeilge? Abair mé, le do thoil!
BruceW

Post by BruceW »

Round trip to Shannon last summer, I was pulled aside both ways for a "personal" search, but it had nothing to do with my metal, wood, or PVC whistles (not sure what it was). Didn't even need to play a demo.

Bruce
pizak

Heathrow, Chicago, Las Vegas, JFK, Florida

Post by pizak »

I always used to pack my rather weapon-like large homemade copper whistles in my hold luggage.

Since I've made some Aluminium whistles, they look more like instruments and less like offensive weapons (not sure they sound any better tho!), I've started taking an overnight case on board.

I didn't have any problems (at the airports listed above). I didn't even get asked to see what they were. I did pack them down the sides of the bag (was that wrong!!? :lol: ) and I also left enough time that I could have gone and checked the bag in if they objected to them (I did NOT want them confiscated).

Paul
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

the US TSA (US Transportation Security Administration) web page regarding musical instruments:

http://www.tsa.gov/public/interapp/edit ... l_1235.xml

This link was posted on the piping board recently:

http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php?t=20557