Chiff & Fipple Diet Club

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Chuck_Clark
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Chiff & Fipple Diet Club

Post by Chuck_Clark »

PRELIMINARY MESSAGE: PLEASE READ IT BEFORE REPLYING

One would have to be both deaf and illiterate not to realize that the West, and the USA in particular, are experiencing a frightening epidemic of too much abundance. Sixty percent of American adults are overweight and even many, many children are obese. This is costing the countries involved billions of dollars in both overt medical expenses and lost productivity. Any number of our friends here on C&F have occasionally mentioned that they are fighting weight issues.

A while back, Jessie tried to start a cooperative thread for C&F'ers who wanted to share and encourage one another in a mutual attempt to successfully diet. As so often happens, the thread digressed, first with a variety of diet-related epistles, then arguments, some of
which weren't even marginally relevant. As a result, the thread died when those who were trying to use it for Jessie's original purpose got discouraged or disgusted and walked away.

A couple of days ago, Jessie tried again. Within a couple of messages it was again driven off track and, rather than watch it happen again, Jessie abandoned the thread and Dale deleted it.

At Jessie's request, and with Dale's permission, I am trying this again, but this time we're starting with a set of simple ground rules. This is not a free speech thread. If you can't live with the rules, complain to or about me in another thread or privately, but I'll let you know up front that I think this is so important that I really don't care. To be fair, if you absolutely have to express approval, please don't do that IN THIS THREAD either.

The rules are simple. This thread is FOR Chiffers [Chiffies, ocarinas that want to be whistles, smurfs (oops, sorry, that one's already taken) ] who want to either lose weight or to encourage those who are trying to lose weight. Encouragement means attaboys, congratulatory messages, and buck-up messages for others who express discouragement. This thread IS NOT FOR propounding on theories of weight loss, expressing your views on how others should try to lose weight, arguing about competing weight loss plans/ideologies/faiths, or in any way criticizing others' attempts, no matter how unsuccessful they might temporarily be. It is also not for preaching, demonstrating your superior knowledge of psychology, dietetics or human nature or offering unsolicited advice. If those for whom the thread is meant want to ask for advice, that's one thing, but please remember that free advice is seldom worth what was paid for it. If you need to do that please feel free to start another thread.

Dale offered us the option of a separate forum, an invitation-only board to which I or Jessie or a designated moderator could restrict participation and presumably from which disrupters could be ejected. I won't speak for Jessie but I don't like the idea for several reasons. First, I don't want to restrict participation by those who feel they need to participate. Second, I hope that you all will understand what we are trying to do and support the idea rather than obstruct it. Finally, so that those who do wish to share their successes and disappointments needn't feel like they are being forced to do so behind a curtain or a closed door.

With the Tour de France currently going on, there is a bicycle term which is apt here. A "derailleur" is a little metal device that exists to kick a chain off track and on to a higher or lower gear. A badly adjusted one can kick the chain off the gears altogether, disabling the bike. Unfortunately, many of us, myself included, have occasionally served this function in other threads. I sincerely ask our members to refrain from doing so in this thread. While I specifically rejected control, please know up front that I will diligently work to keep this thread on track, publicly admonishing those who post off-track messages and, if need be, asking posters to either "help out or butt out". I very much hope I won't have to do so. This is a matter of your friends' health, their emotional well-being, indeed their very lives.

Other than those above, there are no rules. The rest is common sense and common decency. Tell as much or as little as you like about your efforts, success or temporary setbacks. Share your weight if you want to, or do what I'll do, which is to report only positive or (hopefully not) negative results from the starting point. Feel free to express your success or goals not in pounds or in kilograms but in inches or belt or dress sizes if you prefer that - or in non-specific satisfaction with how things are going if that is your preference. Don't belittle or criticize - we get plenty of that already. I'll post my own info in my next message.
Last edited by Chuck_Clark on Thu Jul 15, 2004 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chuck_Clark

Post by Chuck_Clark »

Since I started this thing, I’ll take the responsibility for leading it off.

I weighed only five and a half pounds at birth - and that was probably the last time my weight was within normal limits. For my entire adult life I’ve ranged from overweight to obese. I ignored it because I was also a relatively competent athlete, cycling, playing racquet sports and just about any game requiring a ball. And like everyone else, come middle age I could no longer get away with it.

For much of my life I’ve dieted, probably losing 1500 pounds in my time - and gaining over 1600. For the last four months I’ve piddled around with Weight Watchers - losing all of fifteen pounds. Two weeks ago, I found out I need surgery. If I want to have it done at the new outpatient surgical center (as opposed to the hospital that gave me a near-fatal infection) I was told that I have to lose twenty pounds by the end of July. In the first week, I lost five of them.

Even when that effort is done, I still need to lose over a hundred pounds more. That’s why I’m working with Jessie to get this off the ground. I’m hoping we get this ‘club’ to take off properly this time - it seems to me that it might be easier if I’m trying to do it with a group of friends.

Five down - many to go.
JessieK
antispam: No

Post by JessieK »

Bravo, Chuck! :)

Ok, I birthed my daughter a little over three months ago. I had started the pregnancy about 10-15 pounds over what I should have weighed and I gained, *gasp*, 40 pounds during the pregnancy. I lost 20 easily, without trying, A few more trickled off slowly, but I realized I had to do something to lose the rest. I started the South Beach diet (not as strict as Atkins, but similar) a little over a weeek ago. As of Saturday, I had lost a couple of pounds. So, starting now, I want to lose another 25-30. I will weigh myself once a week, on Saturday morning.

:)
~JessieD
BillChin

Post by BillChin »

Most people that see me don't think I need to lose weight. I know better. My knees give me problems and one reason is the extra poundage. Some clothes fit very tight that used to be comfortable. I see my primary weakness as binging--eating to try and fill other needs than hunger. My strengths are an active lifestyle and overall decent eating habits. It is those moments where I give in and eat everything in sight that result in weight gain. I am up in the range now, so this is a timely post by Chuck. Thanks.
+ Bill
JessieK

Post by JessieK »

Welome, Bill. :)
JessieK wrote:I started the...diet...a little over a weeek ago.
You can see, from my freudian typo, how long a week on a diet feels!

:)
~JessieD
BrassBlower
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by BrassBlower »

I find myself among the ranks of the overweight as well. Time to get started.
https://www.facebook.com/4StringFantasy

I do not feel obliged to believe that that same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use.

-Galileo
Byll
Tell us something.: Long ago, I was told that I faked iTrad whistle work very well. I took that comment to heart. 20 years of private lessons - and many, many hours of rehearsal later - I certainly hope I have improved...

Post by Byll »

Yup...I am one of those who walked away from the original thread - after only one post...Got tired of the junk food...

I have a deteriorating backbone...nasty thing. It takes inches off one's height over time, and is painful in a way only those who have severe back problems can appreciate. I am a distance runner, and as of 4 years ago was told I can no longer run. Therefore, I walk - a lot...either on my trusy old Sears treadmill, or on the road. I also bike and take hikes, whenever I am able.

There is an ancient adage which states that one should never trust a slim cook. Not true. My wife has always been slim, and is an incredible cook (a blessing, believe me). She is able to keep her figure by means of dancing and genetics.

I, on the other hand, must fight, kick, bite, and scratch - to keep the pounds off. It has been a never-ending fight for all of my adult life. Most of the time, I end up about 10 - 15 pounds too heavy. Not too much??? Well, at that point - and on up - one's clothes don't fit well, and any medical conditions and challenges are worsened, exponentially.

Back to the back...I have always been able to lose those 10+ pounds. As the years go on, it gets more and more difficult. And then, because I like to eat, and am married to this marvelous cook, the pounds slowly come back...So here I am again. But this time, I have an impetus that was not there, before. My back has 'gone out' (what innocent words to describe such a lousy condition) twice in the past 4 weeks. This scares me. This has never happened before...My little mind says to me that losing those 10-15 pounds would be really good for me at this point - less strain on muscles/nerves, and all of that.

I normally need a cataclysm to get me going. And I've got one. The weight will come off over the next 6 weeks. The challenge is to keep it off. If I run true to form, it will come back by January. The key for me is simple: small portions, exercise, and VERY few snacks and desserts.

And yet, I have this beautiful wife who is a superb cook. See the problem? I know the responsibility lies with me, not her. I wish all of the rest of you the best in your endeavors. Thanks be to Chuck and Jessie for beginning, again...

Byll
'Everything Matters...'
Lisa Diane Cope 1963-1979
jbarter

Post by jbarter »

I assume we'll be using the US weight system of pounds rather than stones or kilos.

Age - 49
Height 5'3"
Current weight 160 lbs
Desired weight 130 lbs (or less)

I need to get my weight down if I want to keep on Morris dancing into my fifties. At the moment I keep wavering up and down in the same 5-6 lb range.

BTW any chance this thread could be granted "sticky" status?
May the joy of music be ever thine.
(BTW, my name is John)
Byll
Tell us something.: Long ago, I was told that I faked iTrad whistle work very well. I took that comment to heart. 20 years of private lessons - and many, many hours of rehearsal later - I certainly hope I have improved...

Post by Byll »

Good suggestion concerning 'sticky status', John. (Nice alliteration, also)...

Best.
Byll
'Everything Matters...'
Lisa Diane Cope 1963-1979
sbruyette

Post by sbruyette »

I have by doing Weight Watchers since May and have lost 14 pounds. I guess one of my main problems is portion control, especially on weekends. They say it takes your brain 20 minutes to know if your stomach is full. That is just too long if pizza is nearby. I do fairly well during the week. I will be very pleased if I can take off another 20. This may take some time but I know I am teaching myself to be more health conscious/observant in the food I buy and prepare. I found that my puppy helped motivate me to walk more. I enjoy bike riding but walking was sort of a leave it type activity.
Susan
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

jbarter wrote:I assume we'll be using the US weight system of pounds rather than stones or kilos.

Age - 49
Height 5'3"
Current weight 160 lbs
Desired weight 130 lbs (or less)

I need to get my weight down if I want to keep on Morris dancing into my fifties. At the moment I keep wavering up and down in the same 5-6 lb range.

BTW any chance this thread could be granted "sticky" status?
Hey John-- I think you have a twin: ME! My stats are remarkably close to yours. I'm not sure I want to go quite down to 130, but 140 would be nice.
Good luck to all here!
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
Lorenzo

Post by Lorenzo »

My brother-in-laws brother--a big guy about 5'9" and 250 lbs--recently got remarried. His new wife is from Russia. She got him on an eating plan that trimmed him down very nicely within just a few short months. Following her advice, he now eats about 4-5 meals in 24 hrs., but never eats more than the amount of food equivelant to a medium sized potato. He's still hungry after eating, but it works for him. He also stopped eating the unhealthy junk food.
RonKiley

Post by RonKiley »

I also dropped off the other thread. I had a heart attack. I had by pass surgery. I lost just over 40 pounds. I need to lose another 25 pounds. My problem is I am oscillating up and down about 4 pounds from 208 to 212 with no progress. I am eating very frugally but it has become difficult. I exercise at the gym at least 3 times a week mixing aerobic exercise with strength training. My endurance and my strength has increased greatly but my weight is not decreasing. Maybe this thread will work.

Ron
vomitbunny

Post by vomitbunny »

Ya know, muscle is heavy stuff. People sometimes continue to lose fat but gain muscle and don't percieve it as wieght loss.
My opinion is stupid and wrong.
Chuck_Clark

Post by Chuck_Clark »

Ya know, muscle is heavy stuff. People sometimes continue to lose fat but gain muscle and don't percieve it as wieght loss.
That's why I offered people the option of using measurements or even general satisfaction as alternative measures of success. It isn't important HOW you measure success, but that you are able to feel and express success. Another thing every 'expert dieter' knows is that plateaus are very real. If someone hangs in place for a while, s'OK. Your body is just resetting itself to a new baseline. Stay the course and weight/dimension loss will resume. The body is really good at 'declaring famine' and digging in its proverbial heels. Its just such strategies that allowed us to survive the lean times. If exercise is your main ticket, well, look at it this way. You may not be getting thinner, but you're still getting stronger and healthier.
Its Winter - Gotta learn to play the blues