How to behave at a session

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Bloomfield
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

How to behave at a session

Post by Bloomfield »

This was just posted to the Irtrad-L list by Alan Ng. Very good way of putting it, I think:
Over the years my lecture on the subject has gotten shorter and shorter, so that I can now summarize it in a couple of sentences, something like:

"A session is almost always a group of friends or at least acquaintances who are sitting around socializing. Imagine if these people did not have instruments and were just sitting at a table drinkin' and chattin' about a subject in which you happen to be interested - how would you behave as you approached them? That's how you should behave as you approach a session."

Various logical corollaries ensue: if you're a member of this gang, you can behave one way, if you're a stranger, you behave another way, etc etc
/Bloomfield
vomitbunny

Post by vomitbunny »

What is this word....."behave"....that you speak of?
Did you mean "beehive"? Behind? Enslave? Enrage? Bel Grande? Taco Bel Grande?
My opinion is stupid and wrong.
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

The piece Bloomfield quotes was posted as part of a discussion of session behaviour at the Durham East week. One specific person now called 'the Bozo with the cap' ruined an average of three sessions a day by sitting in uninvited with flute, whistle and spoons. But without any abilities to speak of. Anyone recognise him :D ?
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

Interesting.
Could be argued though that you do not join a group of people having a drink inorder to learn about whatever it is they are talking about or indeed to gain experience of talking and drinking.
Newbies must always be made welcome in sessions and encouraged to partake in however small a way.
Playing along with other people in a live setting is the oldest and most effective way of learning the music.
PC's,CD's,DVD's et alia are after all,mere blow ins to this ancient tradition (but very handy as well)

We all have to start somewhere.

Slan,
D.
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
moxy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by moxy »

Peter Laban wrote:The piece Bloomfield quotes was posted as part of a discussion of session behaviour at the Durham East week. One specific person now called 'the Bozo with the cap' ruined an average of three sessions a day by sitting in uninvited with flute, whistle and spoons. But without any abilities to speak of. Anyone recognise him :D ?
Oh yeah...
Azalin

Post by Azalin »

The Bozo with the Cap! Yeah, he ruined a session I was just sitting in to listen and tape some tunes.

He was sitting beside lovely Mary Rafferty (Mike was beside her) and I could actually see how the best ITM musicians in the world react to this. They were all very polite, very quiet, smiling a lot to each other in understanding... but at one point it was too much and Mike Rafferty put his flute back in his case and the session was over, with the Bozo saying "what a great session it was eh?".

Arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.
Azalin

Post by Azalin »

dubhlinn wrote:
We all have to start somewhere.
I agree, the living room would be a good suggestion to many.
glauber

Post by glauber »

Peter Laban wrote:The piece Bloomfield quotes was posted as part of a discussion of session behaviour at the Durham East week. One specific person now called 'the Bozo with the cap' ruined an average of three sessions a day by sitting in uninvited with flute, whistle and spoons. But without any abilities to speak of. Anyone recognise him :D ?
What was the criminal's M.O.? How did he wreck the sessions?
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

Well it took a lot of cajones to do that. I'd have done like Azelin and just took it in.

Be that as it may, this whole thread if a flagrent troll and I am suprised at Bloomfield for stooping to that level. It would be understandable coming from Station or a complete newbie to the forum.

This could just as easily have been tacked onto the jerkie-pie thread.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
Whistletutor

Post by Whistletutor »

Indeed -- I started playing in sessions in NYC with a beer in one hand, a cigarette in the other, and the flute sitting on the table. If they played a tune I knew, I'd hop in. Otherwise, I'd just listen. Then, perhaps once or twice a night I'd be asked to start a tune -- which I'd do happily, and then I'd go back to my beer.
Cheers!
Sean Cunningham
http://www.whistletutor.com
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

Good advice. Thanks for ponting it out, Bloomfield.
  • How to misbehave at a session:

• Drink everybody else's booze while they aren't looking.

• Insist on playing the tuba.

• Drink everybody else's booze while they are looking.

• After a good performance say, "That was great fellas, but let's do it again," commence handing out purple ditto-machine copies of an Aaron Copland arrangement, "but this time, let's play it like it's written, shall we?"

• Insist on being in the no-smoking section, then light up a Camel.

• Insist on only using Mel Bay's Backup Traxx.

• Try to insist that your Cooperman, which you bought at Colonial Pawhuska in 1993, is better than the Goldie Overton that the guy who's been looking at you irritatedly all evening is playing, and demand LOUDLY that he trade the Overton for your real instrument.

• Don't take "no" for an answer.
Reasonable person
Walden
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

geek4music wrote:Well it took a lot of cajones to do that. I'd have done like Azelin and just took it in.

Be that as it may, this whole thread if a flagrent troll and I am suprised at Bloomfield for stooping to that level. It would be understandable coming from Station or a complete newbie to the forum.

This could just as easily have been tacked onto the jerkie-pie thread.
Could you explain why this is perceived a s a troll?

If you read the discussion on IRtrad there was a distinct behaviour, possibly stemming from sheer ignorance but certainly related to a complete inability to read a situation that ruined an awful lot of good music and enjoyment of those present.

Bloomfield's quote, as far as I can see, just points out that most of the time you should think, weigh a few things before you slap yourself down and whip out your instrument.
Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

Because the same subject has been brought up a zillion times and a new post on the same subject will result in the same responses and the author, who has years of experience on the board, would be well aware of past threads and the patterns they exhibit. So the only

The thread could be about any number of topics which would all be merely response getters.

I'm not arguing the premise of the post nor do I disagree as you would see had you read my last post on the jerkie-pie thread on this very subject.

Now one could argue that my argument is a post hoc, ergo propter hoc fallacy. Perhaps Bloomfield really did not post this to engender a preunderstood set of responses. If so I apologize. Maybe there should be a legendary behemoth session etiquette thread.

Plus I responded to it which makes the whole point moot.
Bloomfield's quote, as far as I can see, just points out that most of the time you should think, weigh a few things before you slap yourself down and whip out your instrument.
Which applies in many areas of life I might add.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

geek4music wrote:Because the same subject has been brought up a zillion times and a new post on the same subject will result in the same responses and the author, who has years of experience on the board, would be well aware of past threads and the patterns they exhibit. So the only

The thread could be about any number of topics which would all be merely response getters.
What did I miss?
Reasonable person
Walden
glauber

Post by glauber »

I agree it's been Done Before, but i thought this was a new way of putting it.
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--