Instuments for Carpel Tunnel Syndrome

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Dwight

Post by Dwight »

Hello,
I’m not sure if anyone remembers the musically challenged guy who kept asking for advice about instruments a few months ago. Anyway, after dabbling in everything, I’ve come full circle and I’m playing whistle again. I’ve also picked up the ocarina. I’ll tell my story with the hope it will benefit someone else that is looking for an instrument that doesn’t cause CTS.

Here are my requirements for an instrument:
1 Doesn’t aggravate my Carpel Tunnel Syndrome. I’m a dentist for low-income children. That's almost all the abuse my hand can take. I have symptoms if I choose hobbies that aggravate the problem
2) Easy to learn so a person with no musical training can get enjoyment in a short period of time.
3) Room to grow if I choose to practice for a longer period of time.
4) Reasonable cost
5) Portable
6) Able to play a wide variety of music
7) Able to play low notes as well as high
8 Has that intangible appeal that will make it enjoyable to play.

No instrument meets all those requirements. For me, I find that recorder is lacking in the last requirement. Also, the low-pitched recorders aggravate my CTS.

Mountain dulcimer is probably the best stringed instrument for me, but I do feel it in my wrist. And, it’s less portable than whistle. I’m learning it anyway, but probably won’t play enough for this to be “my” instrument.

Chromatic harmonica is great, but it will be a long time before I’m good at it.

Whistle seems to meet all my requirements except for being able to play low without beating up the hands.

Hind Ocarinas are available in many keys and they do a good job when I’m in the mood for something that sounds low and mellow. The higher pitched ocarinas fit in your pocket, but don’t have the two-octave range that whistle does. The fingering is easy enough that I can switch back and forth between instruments whenever the mood hits me. I know I’d learn faster if I stayed with just one instrument, but this is something I’m doing just for fun and I don’t need to impress anyone with my great musical skills. http://www.hindocarina.com/index.html

For me, whistle and ocarina make an idea pair of instruments.

Finally, I want to recommend a home treatment plan for Carpel Tunnel. It’s available from www.aboutcts.com

Dwight
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

I would suggest, FWIW, a lower whistle, like
G or A. These are beautiful sounding; my experience
is that the playing position doesn't aggravate
these injuries--however that's a terrifically
individual thing, obviously.

Concertina also seems less painful to me.

If all of these aren't workable,
what you said about chromatic harmonica--
well, it isn't so hard to play, really. And it barely works
the fingers. If that's an option physically,
I would learn to play it.
greenspiderweb
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by greenspiderweb »

Hi Dwight,
Two things; Have you tried the pipers grip for whistle? It's much easier on lower whistles, and wrist friendly.
And, have you ever tried a metal slide for the dulcimer? Instead of noteing like a guitar with the fingers pushing down the strings to the frets, a metal slide can reduce wrist aggravation, and it sounds great too! You may need to raise the strings a little at the nut with an extender or higher nut, but maybe not. Try it, it's fun! Slide guitar is great too.
~~~~
Barry
Thomas-Hastay
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Thomas-Hastay »

Dwight

I suggest a large well made Panflute. It needs little finger dexterity and covers a chromatic 2 octaves. If you place one in each hand you can have a range of 4 chromatic octaves. Half notes are made by embouchure bending and not half-hole fingering. These Panflutes also come with support hand slings that double as neck straps for travel.

If you choose a professional model, such as a European bamboo style, you will be quite pleased with their ease of play. Many specialty types , like the Zampona from Peru will give variety as well. I believe this instrument will fill all your criteria. Large chromatic harmonicas in baritone keys are nice as well.
"The difference between Genius and stupidity, is that Genius has its limits" (Albert Einstein)
thomashastay@yahoo.com
Unseen122
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

jim stone wrote:Concertina also seems less painful to me.
From the Concertinists I know it is very painful to play and might give you CTS.
Chuck_Clark
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Chuck_Clark »

Dwight

Given the apparent degree of your affliction, have you at least considered surgical intervention? I've been there, and I don't think there is ANY instrument other than the player piano that won't put some strain on your wrists.

The modern surgery is quick, uses an incision only about an inch long and has a surprisingly short recovery time. I was playing without pain less than ten days after my second hand was fixed. (the first was twenty years ago, when things were nowhere near so nice).

The bottom line on CTS, at least according to every doctor I consulted, is that it will only get worse, never better.
Its Winter - Gotta learn to play the blues
boomerang
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by boomerang »

Please before any surgery is considered for carpal tunnel, seek treatment from a chiropractor and remedial massage therapist....many times surgery is unnecessary,
the symptoms of a pinched nerve due to spinal subluxation or muscle entrapment are very similar to true carpal tunnel syndrome, best to eliminate other possible causes b4 going under the knife
regards
David
ps there is only one instrument
and its a whistle
good choice
Never argue with an idiot, they will bring you down to their level then beat you with experience!!
Dwight

Post by Dwight »

Thank you everyone. I hope I didn't exagerate the problem. I actually get good results from the home care plan that was mentioned. My only gripe is that it doesn't work unless you actually do the exercises. If I have symptoms, they remind me to get out the tool and work it into the trigger points. Then my wrist gets better. I'm reluctant to consider surgery as long as this no-risk approach is working.

About instuments, I think that whistle and/or ocarina will keep me busy for a while. I will try Jim's suggestion of getting a "G" whistle after I replenish my music research budget.

Dwight
Daniel_Bingamon

Post by Daniel_Bingamon »

Keys on Low Whistles for the low notes is a option. A number of us instrument makers offer to set the holes diagonally to take the stress off of the wrist.
Email - YouTube - Ebay - Website $28 Low-D