Eric Rigler

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
elbogo
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Eric Rigler

Post by elbogo »

Very cool... just met and talked with Eric in Milwaukee today, after one of his two free concerts with Bad Haggis... leading up to Irish Fest this weekend.

Quite an interesting blend of Irish, Scottish and World music... and they did an amazing rendition of the Titanic. But lot's of great piping... Great percussion and drums from two new band members; wonderful fiddle by Kathleen Keane. Bad Haggis is noticably a piping oriented group, and everything works. Especially his Froment set.

Considering Eric's "major" status, he's very approachable. Apparently, their new live concert DVD, is a contender for a possible Grammy, alongside the Rolling Stones, and the Grateful Dead!!
Patrick D'Arcy
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Re: Eric Rigler

Post by Patrick D'Arcy »

elbogo wrote:alongside the Rolling Stones, and the Grateful Dead!!
Who? Don't tell me those guys are still going... bloody hell... do they have no shame? :-?

Bad Haggis on the other hand... great stuff :)

PD.
fel bautista
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fel bautista »

STOP IT RIGHT NOW!!! Other wise no Perry Como records for you tonite MISTER

BawHAHAHAHAH
elbogo

Post by elbogo »

Eric also played this really tiny set of pipes, certainly looked like Uilleann pipes, but really, and I mean really small. He played it standing up, and I think... forgot to ask... maybe they were electronic(?) They sounded electronic. A tiny mainstock, drones about 9 to 14' long. Cute, but strange looking.

Anyone know what it was?
joey_schu

Post by joey_schu »

Northumbrians?
Tony
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

elbogo

Post by elbogo »

Tony, it was the little one in the middle, with the wee drones, except he was standing, and seemed to have the bottom of the chanter closed up, or wired, perhaps connected to the amp(?)

But doing some investigating on my own, Ray Sloan, for example, yes, perhaps they were Northumbrian pipes... Sounds like them.

Thanks for the pics.
Tony
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.

Post by Tony »

Rigler mics the pipes thru a guitar amplifier made by Hoffmann. The pickup is seen in the picture.
http://www.hoffmannamps.com/pages/456989/index.htm
benwalker

Post by benwalker »

Could they be Scots Small Pipes?
Sippin water of a spoon

www.benwalker.org
Duffy

Post by Duffy »

Yes - miked thru an amp

Yes - small pipes

Yes - extreemly approchable, very friendly, took time for a brief chat with my 9 y.o. grandson who'd just become a new fan.

This whistler loved the music but it sure ain't trad. Great mix of sounds.
Matt Schibler

Eric Rigler

Post by Matt Schibler »

I had a chance to speak with Eric in June as his band "Bad Haggis" was playing at a local Irish festival here in the L.A. area which I attended.
He was very approachable and spent about 15 minutes speaking with me.

He told me something about his piping for Reagan's funeral which had been held a week or two before. He said that it was a great honor to pipe for that ceremony and that whoever was in charge had asked for him to play the Irish pipes because of Reagan's Irish heritage. Thinking ahead, he brought both the GHB's and his Froment set of uilleann pipes. He first did it with the GHB's and they said that was great. He then told them that they were not the "Irish bagpipes." He brought out his Froment set and showed them how it would be played and they said that it would not work because he had to lead the procession down to the grave site.
Tony

Post by Tony »

It would have been different if Eric had an entourage like David Daye

Crafty, isn't he??
Lorenzo

Post by Lorenzo »

à la carte?
Douglas

Post by Douglas »

I just noticed this post. I was out in Texas seeing the in-laws for a week and a half. So I am now catching up on my reading.

Eric plays a set of Cauld Wind Pipes, often referred to as Scottish small pipes or Lowland Pipes but these aren't totally accurate. The pipes are made by Hamish Moore. I have a set of these also. Very well made instrument.
Calum

Post by Calum »

I forget who it was now that finally killed off the expression cauld-wind pipes, but persistently referring to them 'ambient air-temparature pipes' has pretty much done the trick.

There are two types of bellows blown bagpipe in Scotland, as recognised today. Scottish smallpipes are essentially a Northumbrian chanter reworked into a GHB scale. ALthough there are historical antecedents (thanks to Uilliam for putting me right here), there is no continuous tradittion of manufacture or playing of these.

The other type, the Border pipes, are a conical bored pipe broadly similar to a GHB (though emphatically not the same).

What Eric's playing there looks like a set of Hamish Moore smallpipes.

Cheers,
Calum