distance from embouchure to first tone hole?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Bretton
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've been playing whistle for a very long time, but never seem to get any better than I was about 10 years ago. I'm okay with that. :)

distance from embouchure to first tone hole?

Post by Bretton »

If a few of you have time, could you measure the distance from the center of your embouchure hole to the center of the first tone hole on your flute, when it's playing in tune for you.

Thanks!

My Tipple PVC is right at 9 inches (22.86cm). I'm trying to determine if I play flat or sharp of most people.

-Brett
Rosemary Lane
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Tuning meter

Post by Rosemary Lane »

For $25 you can buy a tuning meter whch would help solve most tuning problems resulting from embouchure or breath control -- and help you decide if it is you or the flute.
BillG

Post by BillG »

Bretton - I'm running just shy of 9 inches on my Ormiston keyless. Not sure what I'd get on the Copley as this is my months on the Ormiston.

BillG
BillG
- - -
<><
Six Ps! (Poor Prior Practice Prevents Proper Performance)
Denny

Re: distance from embouchure to first tone hole?

Post by Denny »

Bretton wrote:My Tipple PVC is right at 9 inches (22.86cm). I'm trying to determine if I play flat or sharp of most people.
Brett,

Tipple PVC - 8.5 inches. 'seems I'm flatter than you. (I've always been flat)

Free tuner software... http://www1.ocn.ne.jp/~tuner/tuner_e.html

Denny
Bretton
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've been playing whistle for a very long time, but never seem to get any better than I was about 10 years ago. I'm okay with that. :)

Post by Bretton »

I've got a tuner. :party:

I was speaking with a flute maker about an all wood flute (no tuning slide) and he said it would be helpful to know if I play flatter or sharper, in general, than most people. That way he could make sure the flute was as in tune for me as possible.

Thanks for the responses so far.

-Brett
Doug_Tipple
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Doug_Tipple »

Using a Korg electronic tuner, I setup my PVC flutes so that they will be in tune with my embouchure with a 1/2" extension on the tuning slide. At this position there is a 9" distance from the center of the blowhole to the center of the first hole.

I have a new accessory for the flute called the Tipple-Fajardo wedge, which is designed to correct for second octave intonation problems present on cylindrical bore flutes. With the wedge in place, the flute will play 20 cents flat unless an adjustment is made on the tuning slide. On my webpage I give details about the wedge, recent feedback, and an a link to an excellent audio clip, "Maids of Mt. Cisco", played by Michael Eskin.

Happy fluting and best wishes!
djm

Post by djm »

8 5/8" - this is on a hot, humid summer night. Casey Burns Ergonomic model with session head.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.