Anyone else here like Gaelic Storm?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Steve-o
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Anyone else here like Gaelic Storm?

Post by Steve-o »

I was just wondering if anyone else here liked Gaelic Storm? I just saw them live at the Pittsburgh Irish Festival, and they put on a rather good show. Great music. I also heard a group called Altan there, and they were also amazing. The only downside of the festival was the only whistles there were cheap feadogs. Well, i guess that means ill just have to order some more!!
ChrisLaughlin
antispam: No

Post by ChrisLaughlin »

Nope.

But I love Altan! :party:
Unseen122
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

Gaelic Storm is so great I want to see them live so bad. I would say they are either 3rd or 4th on my list of favorite bands. :D
izzarina

Re: Anyone else here like Gaelic Storm?

Post by izzarina »

Steve-o wrote:I was just wondering if anyone else here liked Gaelic Storm? I just saw them live at the Pittsburgh Irish Festival, and they put on a rather good show.
Although I usually like the Trad Irish music better, I do enjoy Gaelic Storm. One of their tunes, called "Thristy Work" has a TREMENDOUS whistle part in it.
When was the Pittsburgh Irish Festival? Wasn't it the first weekend in Sept? I unfortuntately forgot about it, and didn't drive the 45mins to see some of it. I was hoping to get a new whistle, but at least I have the consolation that they were only selling Feadogs! :lol: But I would have LOVED to have seen Altan. Oh well...maybe next year!
Steve, you live in P'Burgh?

Heather
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
vomitbunny

Post by vomitbunny »

Some of the earlyiest stuff I gathered when I started whistling was Garlic Storm. That and some Corrs.
That was.....uh....last November.
My opinion is stupid and wrong.
rebl_rn

Post by rebl_rn »

I've been a fan of Gaelic Storm for a while, but I have to say that I was disappointed seeing them at Milwaukee Irish Fest (I hadn't seen them in a long time). They've always been a party band, and a lot of fun on stage, but it seemed to me they're concentrating more now on trying to be a wacky fun-loving band and less on the music. I think they're trying to be the Jimmy Buffetts of Irish music or something.

Just my opinion

Beth
Wash your hands. Cough and sneeze in your sleeve. Stay home if you are sick. Stay informed. http://www.cdc.gov/swineflu for more info.
BrassBlower

Post by BrassBlower »

rebl_rn wrote:I think they're trying to be the Jimmy Buffetts of Irish music or something.

Just my opinion

Beth
True, "Swimming in the Sea" does show quite a bit of parrothead influence. :D
https://www.facebook.com/4StringFantasy

I do not feel obliged to believe that that same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use.

-Galileo
FJohnSharp
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

"Meon an phobail a thogail trid an chultur"
(The people’s spirit is raised through culture)

Suburban Symphony
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

I saw them once and they did a nice job.

They weren't exclusively trad, but did do some trad tunes.

They gave a good show; I reckon I like them fine for what they are.

--James
SirNick
Tell us something.: I love Irish music! I am mostly a whistle player but would like to learn more about flutes. I also have a couple older whistles I'd like to sell and maybe pick up a bamboo flute to practice with.

Post by SirNick »

I thought they sank in the north Atlantic? :lol:

Ok Ok.. they're pretty good.
"You have my undivided attention"
TomB

Post by TomB »

SirNick wrote:I thought they sank in the north Atlantic? :lol:

Ok Ok.. they're pretty good.

They did, but "King of the World DiCaprio" saved them.

Tom
"Consult the Book of Armaments"
Brian Lee

Post by Brian Lee »

About two years back, I had a chance to meet and play some tunes with the guys after a concert here. The concert itself was....well, let's just say, I promptly fell asleep.

But they do know some great session type tunes and we had a blast back at the pub afterwards. If only they would play more of that instead of the twist their music has taken now. Interesting that the producers of Titanic chose about the most UN-traditional band to play the VERY traditional band in that steerage scene. :-?
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

SirNick wrote:I thought they sank in the north Atlantic? :lol:
Nah, you're thinkin of the Titanic's Orchestra. I bet the steerage band wouldn't keep playing as the ship went down... :)

I was a little disappointed with GS's newest album "How are we Getting Home", but otherwise they are a really great band, especially live. I saw them at Duke University twice, and they really seem to engage with a small crowd (maybe they manage this at festivals, too; I don't know). They sure seem to go through fiddlers, though. They're on their 3rd or 4th one. I think they really should have held on to their last fiddler, Kathleen Keane, who was also an incredible whistler (and cute to boot).

I heard a story about their first fiddle player, Samantha Hunt (from Zambia, of all places). Apparantly, James Cameron thought that Samantha, with her raven hair, didn't fit the "Irish look", so she was kept out of the scene with the steerage band. Now, I haven't and probably never will see Titanic, so could someone confirm or deny for me: was the fiddle left out of this shot? Doesn't seem like much of a steerage band w/o a fiddle (or at least a whistle)...
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

Brian Lee wrote:But they do know some great session type tunes and we had a blast back at the pub afterwards. If only they would play more of that instead of the twist their music has taken now. Interesting that the producers of Titanic chose about the most UN-traditional band to play the VERY traditional band in that steerage scene. :-?
I doubt that they're the MOST untrad band. Lord, I could name several that are far worse.
They started off extremely trad and slowly started working in their originals.
When James Cameron discovered them for Titanic, they were playing pubs in CA,
so I'd assume he picked them for the same reason that you enjoyed playing w/ them.
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

fearfaoin wrote:
Brian Lee wrote:But they do know some great session type tunes and we had a blast back at the pub afterwards. If only they would play more of that instead of the twist their music has taken now. Interesting that the producers of Titanic chose about the most UN-traditional band to play the VERY traditional band in that steerage scene. :-?
I doubt that they're the MOST untrad band. Lord, I could name several that are far worse.
They started off extremely trad...
LOL
... and slowly started working in their originals.
When James Cameron discovered them for Titanic, they were playing pubs in CA,
so I'd assume he picked them for the same reason that you enjoyed playing w/ them.
I think they were picked (and I doubt by James Cameron himself) because whoever did the picking didn't know the first thing about Irish traditional music. Just my two cents.

(I've played with "the guys" too in sessions a couple of times, but at least I don't brag about it in my resume. ;) )
/Bloomfield