Bheir Me O -- Anyone Know What Those Words Mean?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Emrys
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Bheir Me O -- Anyone Know What Those Words Mean?

Post by Emrys »

"Bheir Me O" is the name of a beautiful Scottish love song. Does anyone know what the title words actually mean?
Martin Milner
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Martin Milner »

Sad am I?
GaryKelly

Post by GaryKelly »

Oi, beer me!
Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner
CHIFF FIPPLE

Post by CHIFF FIPPLE »

Can't give you all of it, but Bheir mean s give/bestow and O since/when/with.
The Me bit who know's
Since you gave me?
ImageStacey has the most bodacious fipples! & Message board
http://whistlenstrings.invisionzone.com ... t=0&p=3303&
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

I think it's just a bit of lilting, to be honest. There are actual words in there ("bheir" and "bhean," for example), but it doesn't actually make sense when put together.

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

I *think* that bheir can also mean "embrace". There's a song on a Cran album (Music from the Edge of the World) that has the lyrics: 'S a Sheáin Bhán beir orm.. which translates to "Fair Seán, hold me..."

The H in the first example may be lenition or not. Where's Roger O'Keeffe when you need him? Anyway, going to my little Irish tutorial's glossary, beir is translated as " give birth to, lay (eggs)". Hmmm..."Give birth to me, O".....doesn't work. Now the next.... :D
Roger O'Keeffe

Post by Roger O'Keeffe »

Nanohedron wrote:Where's Roger O'Keeffe when you need him?
Jumped on this thread because I thought it might answer the question that I've been asking myself for the last 50 years. My excuse is that it's Scots Gaelic, but I still can't make any sense of the few words that I remember. I suggest someone with a little time on their hands checks out Mudcat http://mudcat.org/threads.cfm , where it surely must have come up before.
An Pluiméir Ceolmhar
Roger O'Keeffe

Post by Roger O'Keeffe »

OK, the missus will kill me for coming home so late from work again, but here's the first thread that I found on it in Mudcathttp://www.mudcat.org/thread.cfm?threadid=31628#957571.

But while the rest of the words make sense, I still don't know what the lines with "bheir mé ó" in them mean - I wonder if it isn't corrupted Scots gaelic and the rest of the words are Irish.
An Pluiméir Ceolmhar
Redwolf

Post by Redwolf »

Roger O'Keeffe wrote:OK, the missus will kill me for coming home so late from work again, but here's the first thread that I found on it in Mudcathttp://www.mudcat.org/thread.cfm?threadid=31628#957571.

But while the rest of the words make sense, I still don't know what the lines with "bheir mé ó" in them mean - I wonder if it isn't corrupted Scots gaelic and the rest of the words are Irish.
I'm sticking to my theory that the lines "Bheir me o ro bhean o" (sorry, can't do fadas here) are just lilting. To the best of my knowledge they don't make sense in either Scottish Gaelic or Irish.

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!