Eamonn Dillon's CD

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
anima
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Eamonn Dillon's CD

Post by anima »

I haven't heard Eamon Dillon's new CD, but I just finished reading Todd Denman's review of it in the latest Piper's Review and maybe it's just me but that review just seemed to be over the top and mean-spirited. He could have stated his feelings about the CD without being so absolutely denigrating to Mr. Dillon. Whatever esteem I had for Mr. Denman has gone after reading that review. I would also expect better from the Piper's Review.

I have no problem with a negative review (why else the review), but by the same token there is no reason to be rude and demeaning when giving your critique.

just my .02

Jeff
Sean Dillon
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Sean Dillon »

edit
Last edited by Sean Dillon on Thu Apr 28, 2005 3:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
djm

Post by djm »

I have not heard Eamonn Dillon either in person or from his CDs. I do not listen to Todd Denman's stuff either, as he admits to being very non-trad (read New Age pap). I can understand Eamonn's friends sticking up for him, and I can understand how some might be a little upset that a strongly worded review was published in an otherwise fairly mild-mannered publication, but no-one has yet addressed whether Todd's points of criticism are true or not. Is Eamonn's first CD as badly recorded as Todd says? Is Eamonn's second CD totally awash in synths and too much reverb? Has anyone, in fact bought an Eamonn Dillon CD? It would be nice to balance Todd Denman's negative points with some informed opinions from the other side of the fence.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Brazenkane

Post by Brazenkane »

first off I can't beleive I'm back on a bloody list. Secondly, this is not about sticking up for Eamonn. Eamonn made his own deal with the producer, the man funding the project...so he arranged the music per his taste/what would sell...end of discussion.

As far as Eamonn's piping... lets hope a reveiw won't keep you away from where he may be teaching or performing. Plus, baggin' Eamonn as soley an open player is utter sh*t. It's like saying Doran is soley an open player. Rubbish!

Only a novice parroting misinformed "pipers" on the internet would classify him as that. I heard Eamonn play as tight as A. Conroy on more than a few occaions. He told me he really appreciates the tight style, but isn't into playing that way. We might all dream of having that kind of control..

no more writing on the list for me
Give a man a wooden reed and he'll play in the driest of weather,
Teach a man to make a wooden reed,
and the both of ye will go insane!
brianc

Post by brianc »

djm wrote:... but no-one has yet addressed whether Todd's points of criticism are true or not.

As I understand it, reviews are written to provide one person's opinion. Rarely have I read a review of an artist's work and expected to have "truth" revealed to me.

Bear in mind that my point is made in a very general sense - I do not know Eammon Dillon nor have I heard the CD in question. As for Todd Denman, I haven't read the review, either. But again, my point is that reviews don't go in search of "truth", they are a forum for one man's opinion.

My $0.02.
Brazenkane

Post by Brazenkane »

re-read what I wrote...you are missing the crux of the commentary
Give a man a wooden reed and he'll play in the driest of weather,
Teach a man to make a wooden reed,
and the both of ye will go insane!
Joseph E. Smith
antispam: No

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

Brazenkaine wrote:no more writing on the list for me
Huh? Why not? Seems to me you have a lot of valuable things to share, which is a boon to the pages of this forum. I'm thinking that most of those who have commented about the review are doing so because of the way it was written (which I felt a little too cutting myself), and not because the reviewer didn't fancy the CD in question.

These opinions (and they are simply that) are not intended as a reflection on you, Wally or the Piper's Review as much as they are bringing into question Todd Denman's choice of language (and perhaps the mind set with which he wove his review), printed within a publication dedicated to the promotion of Uilleann piping and those who are keeping it alive and well.

All of that aside, I hope that you continue to contribute to this forum. I enjoy your articles and transcriptions in the Piper's Review, and I appreciate your point of view here.
brianc

Post by brianc »

Brazenkaine wrote:re-read what I wrote...you are missing the crux of the commentary

My point was made in response to the statement that a review was somehow an attempt to discern "truth".

No need for me to re-read.... I agree with your view that there's no need for the unnecessary vitriol in writing a review in that manner.

Life's too short. Then again, if it were too long, we'd probably get cranky about that, too.

:)