OT - Christmas Dinner in the USA

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
scottielvr
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by scottielvr »

vomitbunny wrote:Here in the south we have chitlins stuffed with souse. Some people use those little vienna sausages. You pronounce it like Vie-eenie. Rymes with beenie weenie. Then some stuffing made with cheetos. If you want a vegtable with that, you usually make macaroni and cheese. Usually served with our famouse egg nogg or boiled custard, made out of whiskey and ice. Some fancy types fix fried hot bologna and tater tots, but that's beyond the means of most of us. Thems for folks that live in double wides. Rumor has it thet they have twinkies for dessert too. But I wouldn't know. Gramma says them folks gonna burn in hell anyway, alla them worldly goods and stuff, sos I'll just do without no twinkies.
On new years, we have our own version of Hoppin John too. But Granny says Hoppin is too close to Dancin, an' God hates that. So we just eats pork rinds and beer nuts. In the John. Things just ain't been the same since Pappy lost his pro-stetic leg. We couldn't keep up the payments. Deer huntin season come, an' I needed a new scope.
:lol: :lol:
scottielvr

Re: OT - Christmas Dinner in the USA

Post by scottielvr »

Jay-eye wrote:hot mince pies (yum!) to follow, with thick cream and Bailey's poured over instead of custard (we even call Bailey's mince pie gravy in our house - how sad's that?)
Not sad at all! A splendid idea. :wink:
Wanderer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

geek4music wrote:Glad you asked.

Some people have turkey and others have ham. Some do both. I'm sure there are others who are completely different. I made prime rib a couple of years ago.

What are some of the traditional Christmas meals from other countrys represented on this board?
I usually do turkey and/or ham at Thanksgiving and goose or (rarely) duck at Christmas.
LeeMarsh

Post by LeeMarsh »

Over the past 4 years we've moved to buffet style christmas. This way the various family members can stop by and feast at what ever time is available. My daughters will be visiting 4-5 households on christmas day so trying to coordinate a sit-down isn't as practical. I always thought it was more welcoming to know there place to stop by unscheduled.

As a buffet we heavy load with desserts and snacks. First several types of cookies including at least:
  • TollHouse Chocolate chip made Christmas Day afternoon in both dark and white chocolate versions
  • Decorated sugar cookies (traditionally made on Christmas Eve)
  • Nut roll cookies (not sure of the name)
  • Pizzells (ultra thin waffle like cookie)
  • Some type of Fruit Tart cookie
  • the minature pecan pie type cookies
  • Biscotti
Additional desserts including at least:
  • fruit pie (apple and/or cherry/blueberry),
  • one pinapple upside down cake,
  • jello cake with cream cheese topping
  • Lee's home made Banana bread (with crushed pecans, raisin and honey marbled top).
  • 3 lb starter plate of Peg's Diabetic Coma Killer Homemade Fudge (she usually makes 10 to 15 pound for presents).
Appetizers include a large vegetable platter including carrots, celery, red and green papers, brocaully, cauliflower, pickles (sweet, dill, garlic), black olives with 3-4 types of dips. Also cubed chesses (munster, jack, provolone, swiss, cheddar), summer sausage, and Chips (Regular and Crab).
We do add a few main dishs, spiral cut honey ham, green been cassarole, sweet potatoes, Sauteed mushrooms (last year's were brandied) and either heart-attack-in-a-pan(kielbassa and sliced pototes) or poor-man's lassagne. I'm hoping for crab balls again, but we'll have to see what's available. Finally there are also breads and crackers.

In the past drinks were mostly non-alcoholic, soda's, hot chocolate, eggnog, hot apple cider, tea, and coffee. We may add some spiced brandy, spiced rum, and Irish whiskee to add to the coffees, and maybe some hot hard cider now that kids and guests are older.

Leftovers (alway lots) are retired late christmas night to the 'frig's and are consumed throughout the following week. On New years we add black-eyed peas, cornbeef and cabbage which are traditional good luck dishes from the south and Baltimore respectively.

Many of these goodies start appearing a couple of weeks before christmas (cookies, candies, quick breads, cakes, etc). To share with visitors and friends who stop by over the holidays.

For me this is the welcome repast. It's the goodies to share as we visit and feed relationships throughout the holidays.
Enjoy Your Music,
Lee Marsh
From Odenton, MD.
OnTheMoor

Post by OnTheMoor »

We do Turkey for Easter, Christmas and Canadian Thanksgiving.

Our Christmas also has French-Canadian tortiere (sp?) (and we have Crakcers too!)
Paul

Post by Paul »

vomitbunny wrote: Rumor has it thet they have twinkies for dessert too. But I wouldn't know.
:lol: :lol: :lol: Moonpies and RC Cola, of course. :wink:
Darwin

Post by Darwin »

Paul wrote:
vomitbunny wrote: Rumor has it thet they have twinkies for dessert too. But I wouldn't know.
:lol: :lol: :lol: Moonpies and RC Cola, of course. :wink:
Is you a Brother Dave Gardner fan?
fearfaoin wrote:
vomitbunny wrote:But Granny says Hoppin is too close to Dancin, an' God hates that.
Fine, don't shut up... that was pretty funny.
I hear the Southern Baptists have condemned sex while standing up... too close to dancing...
:lol: :P :lol: :P :lol:
Mike Wright

"When an idea is wanting, a word can always be found to take its place."
 --Goethe
toughknot

Post by toughknot »

For some, MilkDud Casserole and Junoirmint Stew are hard to beat at any holiday.
VB is hilarious :lol:
I shall never bitter be so long as I can laugh at me.
IDAwHOa
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

We usually go to someone else's house for Christmas because no one will go "over the river and through the woods" to over the big, bad mountain to NorCal's house. They are too scared of the fairly steep, windy road.

We currently live in California, have most of our lives both pre and post marraige. No fancy, dancy sub-cultural celbrations for us. Just the standard Euro-Anglo stuff for us.

Starting this year it will be over the river, over the mountain, through the desert and to IDAHO the will have to go, NOT!!! Fine, let them be that way. We'll just have to find someone else's family to scrounge Christmas dinner off of (like our oldest son's girlfriend's family). Hey, does that count as a Christmas Tradition?
Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
DCrom

Post by DCrom »

NorCalMusician wrote:We currently live in California, have most of our lives both pre and post marraige. No fancy, dancy sub-cultural celbrations for us. Just the standard Euro-Anglo stuff for us.

Starting this year it will be over the river, over the mountain, through the desert and to IDAHO the will have to go, NOT!!! Fine, let them be that way. We'll just have to find someone else's family to scrounge Christmas dinner off of (like our oldest son's girlfriend's family). Hey, does that count as a Christmas Tradition?
Well, maybe - if we don't host, we usually have the holiday dinners with my brother's family (easier for the 4 of us to drive than the 7 of them, plus sis-in-law's extended family).

But our family celebrations pretty much have to be multi-culti on the food - my far-better half is Chinese, and sis-in-law is Mexican-American. For the big American holidays, we do do mostly American trad dishes, but with a few flourishes (my wife often makes California rolls, or pot stickers, or egg rolls as appetizers - and sis-in-law always makes a truly wonderful, and incendiary, salsa). Some of the combinations work really well together, too - homemade salsa mates beautifully with turkey or ham, and it's worth cooking a turkey just to have the makings of the next day's Singapore noodles (best way EVER for using up leftover bits of turkey or ham, IMHO).

We used to go with a Napa Vallet tradition - "Malfatti" - as a side dish, but they're fiddly to make. When we still had family living in Napa we'd order from a deli - now that we have to make it from scratch it seldom appears. Think ravioli filling rolled up into finger-sized portions, served with a red meat sauce - I'm told the first Italian settlers in Napa, over a century ago, popularized this. Probably a modification of a standard Italian dish, I'd guess, but I've never found anything exactly like them outside of Napa.

We emphatically DON'T make Great-Aunt Anna's Candied Sweet Potato casserole - living proof that it IS possible to have too much sugar and butter in a recipe. :boggle:
spittin_in_the_wind

Post by spittin_in_the_wind »

TomB wrote: Would that be "fried baloney"?
Um...been there, done that.

Robin
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Re: OT - Christmas Dinner in the USA

Post by Walden »

jbarter wrote:Hi there all you beyond the pond. Do you do the same turkey dinner again for Christmas or do you have a different meal rather than repeat Thanksgiving?
We generally always have turkey for both meals, and generally have ham with Christmas, but likely have ham with Thanksgiving too. In general, there is more variety with Christmas dinner... more kinds of pie... more kinds of dishes in general.

At Thanksgiving there are usually pumpkin and pecan pies, both pumpkins and pecans being native and in season. At Christmas there is likely mince meat pie and chess pie, and meringue pies.

Generally, Thanksgiving traditions and Christmas meal traditions are about the same. It has been suggested that the Puritans were intending to replace the Christmas tradition, which they perceived as "too Papist," with something they saw as more in tune with their theology, a harvest thanksgiving.
Reasonable person
Walden
vomitbunny

Post by vomitbunny »

Ah jus got a phone call from Aunt Momma and Uncle Daddy las nite an they says we are gonna have turky an chicken for Christmas. Turky and Chicken hotdogs. I asses if we was gonna have macaroni for a vegtable, an they says no, they found some little Debbie cakes what has green and red icing on 'em, an that counts as a vegtable.
My opinion is stupid and wrong.
jbarter

Post by jbarter »

Will O'B wanted to know about the Christmas food over here so here's a normal/average Christmas day in the Barter household.

Wake up
Bacon butties (mushrooms and brahn sauce to taste)
Open prezzies
Commence eating any confectionary items received as prezzies
Open sherry and start drinking
Commence cooking dinner (veg prepared last night and turkey's been cooking low since coming in from midnight church service)
Relatives arrive
Open more sherry and get the beers out
Drink same while scoffing mince pies and shortbread
Start eating nuts and crisps (coz you fancy 'something savoury')
Open more sherry (beer by now in constant flow)
Join in Hokey Cokey happening round the piano in the music room
Open the red wine ready for dinner (it's gotta breath ya know)
Herd everyone towards the table
Pull crackers and don party hats contained therein
Dinner {Turkey, quorn roasty thing for Adam, roast spuds, boiled spuds, creamed spuds, brussels, peas, carrots, roast parsnips, stuffing (two sorts), cranberry stuff, bread sauce, gravy}
Stagger away from table and wait for dinner to subside enough to tackle the pudding (will ya have a whiskey while you're waiting?)
Stagger back for Christmas Pudding and either custard or brandy sauce depending on your inclination ("One of each please" in my case)
Coffee and mints
Sit and chat in the front of the house or go play music in the back (sherry, beer, and whiskey will be present at both locations)
Eat some fruit coz it's healthy and you're actually on a diet
Lay out the food for the buffet tea on the table {bread, crackers, cheeses, cold meats, pickles, cakes, nuts, crisps, dips}
Keep travelling backwards and forwards to table all evening until relatives go home and family fall asleep.
Eat Terry's Chocolate Orange
Wake Anthea and go to bed muttering "If it wasn't for the sake of the children we wouldn't bother really"
May the joy of music be ever thine.
(BTW, my name is John)
emmline

Post by emmline »

jbarter wrote:Will O'B wanted to know about the Christmas food over here so here's a normal/average Christmas day in the Barter household.

Commence eating any confectionary items received as prezzies
yep. we do that.
jbarter wrote: Open sherry and start drinking
Open more sherry and get the beers out
Drink same while scoffing mince pies and shortbread
Open more sherry (beer by now in constant flow)
Open the red wine ready for dinner (it's gotta breath ya know)

you're not staggering yet?
jbarter wrote: Stagger away from table and wait for dinner to subside enough to tackle the pudding (will ya have a whiskey while you're waiting?)
Stagger back for Christmas Pudding and either custard or brandy sauce depending on your inclination ("One of each please" in my case)
oh, ok...now you're staggering.

sounds like fun, but I wouldn't make it to bedtime.