Thin Walled Flutes

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
dcopley
antispam: No

Post by dcopley »

Jon C. wrote: glueing delrin is a nightmare. Only one glue works: Cyanopoxy by Coolchem.
Bondit B45TH also glues delrin. I got it from McMaster Carr. Expensive though.

Dave Copley
Loveland, Ohio
The Dude

Post by The Dude »

Well, what is the general consensus on wall thickness's [sp?] effect on tone? I have various oldies - nothing too big in the hole size department here, various German, American, and also one old English box flute - the thicker the wall the "darker" the tone, and the bigger the bore the more solid the first octave but the smaller bores play easier in the second (and third!) octave.
I had the honor of playing away on an old Rudall and Rose a few weeks ago. Good growly tone but fairly small holes. Altogether flat bottom D, too. Heavy, and a big bore as well. It played, felt, and sounded much like my Koehlert and Sons.
I'm waiting on an old Geo. Cloos 10 key with an ivory head - I wonder how much that will brighten up the tone. Not really an option with new flutes, though!
I'm the dude!

"The world is divided into three types of people. Those who can count, and those who cannot."
-Gene Wolfe
Jon C.
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Post by Jon C. »

Bondit B45TH also glues delrin. I got it from McMaster Carr. Expensive though.
Thanks Dave, looks like good stuff, is a little pricey though. You can also weld delrin, but it is a little messy.
Andrew wrote:
Look at DCM 0024 ( Boehm & Mendler ) for the sort of raised part I was imagining, JonC.
Andrew, What is a DCM 0024? I have seen pictures of some nice carved ivory flutes, like the R&R, with the raised tone holes.
Dude wrote:
Well, what is the general consensus on wall thickness's [sp?] effect on tone? I have various oldies - nothing too big in the hole size department here, various German, American, and also one old English box flute - the thicker the wall the "darker" the tone, and the bigger the bore the more solid the first octave but the smaller bores play easier in the second (and third!) octave.

The wall thickness of on the un-named English 8 key flute that I am working on has a wall thickness of 3.8 mm to 5mm at the tone holes.
It didn't come with a head joint, so I don't know what the embouchure hole depth was. It has a very small bore, but has a lot of volume, with medium holes.
http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php ... ight=8+key

Jon
andrewK

Post by andrewK »

DCM is Dayton C.Miller collection ,the contents of which I assume you, JonC and everyone else will be intimate with over the internet.

http://memory.loc.gov/ammem/dcmhtml/dmhome.html
Last edited by andrewK on Sun Feb 13, 2005 1:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jon C.
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Post by Jon C. »

Aw yes,
there it is. Kind of funny looking... Nice lip plate! I don't know if I would have enough fingers to fill all the holes. (smile face here...)
andrewK

Post by andrewK »

It only looks funny because it has no keys. It is the lip plate I thaught might inspire you !
Amazing that you could put it up so quickly.
Just think how much more interesting the site would be if we could all do that.
Or if we could post emailed pictures !
Even I could show what I mean !
One picture......
Jon C.

Post by Jon C. »

It only looks funny because it has no keys.
I know, I was just ribbing you...
It is the lip plate I thaught might inspire you !
Tis a nice lip plate, also the joint is thickened to take care of the tenon/socket.
Pretty impressive, huh?
One picture......
But you can, and free! just use image shack (thanks to Glauber)
http://imageshack.us/index3.php
Go to the site and upload your picture, and then host! Then copy "hotlink for forums" url and wala! You have a picture!
Jon
talasiga

Post by talasiga »

andrewK wrote:It only looks funny because it has no keys. It is the lip plate I thaught might inspire you !
One picture......
If I could only do audio clips I would be able to prove that it was women in ancient Dingle who were the first ever to play the bodhran! :party:
qui jure suo utitur neminem laedit
andrewK

Post by andrewK »

Now we know who to blame !
Dingle was ancient the first time I was there. The Dingle fair was on, and I was moved on by the police for trying to play my whistle !
Just a tourist trap now. But a lovely area. Especially to the west.
Anybody who has not read " the Islandman" about life on Great Blasket Island in the old days has a treat in store.
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

At first glance, that Dayton Miller image is starting to look dangerously like my thinwall silver Boehm -- lip plate, raised key collars and all.

One inspired the next, I guess?

P.S. Same deal in metal flutes. Thinwalls are considered more brilliant and "silvery"/ vibrant. They are also eminently more "dent-able." :eek:
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
Steampacket
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Steampacket »

"Anybody who has not read " the Islandman" about life on Great Blasket Island in the old days has a treat in store." Andrew.

We drove down to Dingle after Willie Week last year and camped out at the Gallus Oratory. Had some very nice sessions in Ballyferriter, and at Creugers, Dun Quinn, Saw the Blaskets through the fog, but didn't get out. A wild haunting place, thrashing seas, jagged rocks. The Blasket Center, a new museum, only a couple of years old, was very interesting indeed, covering the history of the Blaskets, the evacuation, and the people. At a session in Dun Quinn we met a box player whose parents were the last family to leave the Blaskets in 1954 I believe. There was a newspaper clipping about her brother being the only boy left, without playmates, on the Great Blasket island. Also a poignant story of the couple that went back one weekend, after the evacuation, to fetch stuff from their old home, and were stranded owing to bad weather for 3-4 months. The man died, and the woman alone with his body was insane when they finally got a boat out to her from the mainland. She'd thrown pieces of her husbands body into the sea apparantly. (It didn't say so but I assume she had to eat parts of her hubby in order to survive?)
Henke

Post by Henke »

I visited the Blasket Center in 2003, or was it 2002? Very intersting indeed.
andrewK

Post by andrewK »

I reckon the woman from Blasket must have been insane before she went back, with all that bad weather coming. Sounds, too, like she was trying to preserve parts of hubby's body in brine to enjoy later.