Old Vs. New: a flute on EBAY

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
radcliff
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: in two words, Rudall & Rose. but since a minimum of 100 characters is required, I should list a number of makers I found extremely interesting… I don't even know how much are 100 characters...

Old Vs. New: a flute on EBAY

Post by radcliff »

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 3779923480

what else can I say?
I will be glad and thanksfull to everyone for a gift like this!
I like Prowse flutes (even if this one is a pratten...)
do you like it?
do you prefer an antique 8keys or a New one (EX. a grinter)???

Frank
andrewK

Post by andrewK »

Beats me why anybody would call it a Pratten just 'cos it has a long middle joint.
Tha last one I saw ( often) had offset keys .
One of the few actually made ( retrospectively ) to play in tune !
The mounts are nice.
Aren't reserves a pain ?
Last edited by andrewK on Tue Feb 01, 2005 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
le_koukou
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by le_koukou »

Money wise it makes more sense, IMHO, to buy a good quality antic. Its value will only go up. A copy or a flute made by a modern maker will start loosing value as soon as out of the workshop. A used flute by XXX (insert here the name of your favorite maker) will not sell for as much money as a brand new one (assuming same model, same wood and same everything).

Now for playability, it is another story. A think a good copy is a far safer bet than an antic, even an antic that looks great.

A very good quality antic should be viewed as collection item an not as a flute for session or practice.

Even the great pro may rarely play there beloved antic instruments. I was told that Chris Norman is playing mostly a copy of its R&R made by Rod Cameron, saving the real one for recording and concerts.
andrewK

Post by andrewK »

Cobblers.
Why not use the productions of the great makers of the past, especially if they are found in good nick.
Peoples eem to enjoy playing my 40 or so oldies because they are good flutes. They were a damn sight cheaper than the new "equivalents ", made for the most part with inferior keywork.
shoner

Post by shoner »

Hmm, actually many new flutes hold their value exceedingly well. You'll not find an Olwell, Grinter, or Wilkes below cost. They often sell for more than the original price.

Many 100 plus year old flutes are played on a regular basis. I think it's a shame for instruments not to be used for their intended purpose. Eventually they may indeed wear out but they've led a good life and what more could be asked.

There are collectors and then there are players. Both are good as many of the collected flutes do eventually fall into the hands of players.
le_koukou

Post by le_koukou »

And then start the destruction process...

:)

The most well preserved instruments tend to be in the hands of collectors (and museums), not players.

Recently someone tried to sell on this board a McGee for the same price as new. He received comments saying that it was not worth it.

Another example (still a McGee) a Pratten black wood 6 keys in mint condition was sold with about 30% discount comparing with brand new price.

Now there are certainly some modern flutes that are selling for more than brand new cost. And there are also probably some antics that play as a good as a good modern flute. I think they both are very rare.

I agree that good antics can be a terrific bargain for a player. Not sure this is the best thing that can happen for the flute though.

A collector is most of the time also a player. A real collector will often have several antic flutes. Sometimes dozens. He cannot possibly play them all frequently. So those flutes do not wear much.
Last edited by le_koukou on Tue Feb 01, 2005 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
andrewK

Post by andrewK »

We see new flutes turning into antiques in the course of a couple of years ( Usually in Ireland). A player with acidic skin can ruin a flute in no time at all !
andrewK

Post by andrewK »

I can see on closer examination that I was not being fair about the niceness of the rings on M. J-M V's father in law's flute but I have managed to edit that post. I admit it !
They are very pretty.And the end cap is engine turned.
Does it play, though?
The only ones I have come across which do are the reworked ones.
sturob

Post by sturob »

Hmm. . . I was looking at the whistles offered by this seller, and they went away. Now the flute's gone too!

Stuart
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Damn, once again work keeps me missing out on all the excitement; I didn't even get to take a look at the thing before the plug was pulled. Hmph.

Loren
Jon C.
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Post by Jon C. »

It's back! Very nice rings, this is exactly what Eilam wants on his new Cookstown Ironwood flute that I am making for him... Hummmm.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 3780088237
Jon
andrewK

Post by andrewK »

How will you get / make the rings ?
Loren, have mine.
Not so pretty, but one works very well after a huge amount of work by Flutemaster Wilkes, and the other is NEW ( from 1850 ).
Jon C.
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Post by Jon C. »

Hi Andrew,
what he wants and what he gets are two different things... (this is where I would put the smiley face, laughing.) Jon
eilam

Post by eilam »

hey !! that what my wife tells me too !!!

" (this is where I would put the smiley face, laughing.) Jon" :cry: :cry:
meemtp

Post by meemtp »

Just wait about 150 years and your used Olwells, Grinters etc. will have appreciated and be valuable antiques!
Corin