new Kerry Songbird Low D review

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Wanderer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

new Kerry Songbird Low D review

Post by Wanderer »

review housed at http://www.tinwhistler.com/music/reviews.asp

Kerry Songbird Low D
(Review written March 2005)

Preface
Phil Hardy has started making the Kerry Songbird as a low D. It's like a Kerry Songbird, but in the lower octave, naturally. In order to keep costs down, Phil is only offering these through his own site at kerrywhistles.com. Phil was kind enough to send me one from his first production run to test out, so you guys get to hear about it right away!

At a Glance
Whistle Reviewed: Kerry Songbird non-tunable Low D
Models Available: D and low D, tunable and non-tunable.
Construction: Aluminum with aluminum mouthpiece.
Price at time of review: £69 non-tunable, £99 tunable (convert from GBP to your currency here: xe.com)
Available From: kerrywhistles.com
How Acquired: Product sample from Phil Hardy

Bottom Line: Similar to the New Range Chieftain Low D, though more rich and mellow.

Appearance/Construction
The Songbird Low D looks quite similar to the Chieftain line of whistles that Phil produces (see my Chieftain reviews if you haven't already). It's got a similar-looking sleek aluminum body, but the Songbird also has an actual mouthpiece. This makes it look less like something homemade. I expect I'll get the "Did you make that yourself?" question a lot less with this one. Not that I think I could make a Chieftain, mind you. They're just so minimalist in design, I just seem to get that question a lot.

And here it is! I think there can be a tendency on low D's for the mouthpiece to look freakishly huge (at least on those designs that have a seperate mouthpiece). It can look as if the maker has taken their high D design and just multiplied all of the dimensions (height, width, etc) by two to get a low D version. The Howard comes to mind. I think, in contrast, Phil's low D mouthpiece avoids that look, and comes across as more sleek and stylish.

Speaking of the mouthpiece, here's it is. Notice the labium ramp, which is dramatically different from the Chieftain line. Here, we have a curved half-moon of a blade. Not being a whistle-smith, I'm not sure in the advantage gained, but there are definite differences between the sound of this whistle and the Chieftain range, and I'm sure this different labium ramp plays some part in that.

I was pretty sure that the toneholes felt smoother on the Songbird. Upon putting it side-by-side with my Chieftain, it's definite..the holes are chamfered and polished.

Like the Chieftain range, these are numbered on the back near the bell end. I'm pretty sure that this is the date of manufacture, rather than a unique serial number. Not really useful in proving an instrument is yours, but useful in a more abstract way, such as if certain batches of instruments turn out to be particularly good or bad.

Playing Characteristics
This whistle shares a lot of the playing characteristics of the Chieftain range of instruments. But the Songbird low D is mellower than the Chieftain. I'd call the Chieftain "bright" sounding in comparison. The Songbird has a richer timbre, with a bit more airiness and a bit less volume. The differences between the Kerry Songbird and the New Range Chieftain low whistles is quite subtle, however.

A sound clip of the whistle:
Stack of Rye Here's Stack of Rye with this whistle, so you can compare it to the two Chieftain reviews I have on the site.

Volume: This whistle is on the quiet side. It's not as loud as the New Range. I took it to Friday session--which is a large session with usally 10 or more musicians in a rowdy pub--and had a hard time being heard. Good for if you were recording, had a mic, or in a quieter session.

Responsiveness: Because of it's mellow nature and weaker D and E notes, ornaments don't sound as bright and crisp on those notes as higher on the whistle or on a more chipper instrument. That said, I was able to play this whistle about as quickly as my Chieftain New Range. It just wasn't as crisp sounding in the very bottom of the scale.

C-Natural: OXXOOO produces a c-natural that's perhaps 5 cents flat (which isn't much) with the expected breath pressure. OXOOOO is about 5 cents sharp. Both are easily brought into line with a little breath control, so choose the method you like best.

Tuning: This whistle is in tune when warmed. That said, the lowest notes (D and E) were a little weak. They took a little less breath to be in tune than the rest of the whistle. If I played them with the breath requirements I'd expect, they run about 15 cents sharp.

Hole Size and placement: Similar hole placement to a Chieftain New Range. The E hole is slightly larger than average, and the bottom hole is closer (and thus more manageable) than some low D's..for instance, the Copeland Low D bottom hole is quite far from the next hole up in comparison.

Air volume and pressure requirements: The whistle has a little more back pressure than the New Range Chieftains, but not as much as the Old Range Chieftains, especially in the upper octave. It also requires a little more air than the New Range Chieftains..but not much.

Clogging: This whistle, like all aluminum whistles I've played, gets wet pretty quick. Especially when the mouthpiece hasn't been sufficiently warmed. Unfortunately, unlike the Chieftain line, the windway isn't self-clearing. Eventually, you'll need to blow it out and keep on going, which is pretty easy to do. I ended up treating the windway with Duponol and haven't had any issues since. This is a detergent-action chemical (also sold in recorder circles under the name AntiCondens) that sells for about $3.00 a bottle, and that bottle will last you a long long time.

Misc Notes: Like the Chieftain line, this whistle is wind susceptible. I really can't play much outside in Dallas with it, as it's a lot more windy here than Houston.

Summary
If you liked the mellowness of Phil's old style Chieftain's, and perhaps find his new range a little too bright, you'll love the tone on this one. It's got that great "turn the lights down low" romantic sound to it, while still being much easier to play than the original Chieftains.

(edited to correct a grammatical error :) )
Last edited by Wanderer on Sun Mar 27, 2005 12:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dale
The Landlord
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Dale »

Nice review, Greg. Thanks.
KDMARTINKY

Another Kerry Songbird Review

Post by KDMARTINKY »

I was also pleased to know that Phil selected me as a reviewer of his new product line. I was going to post pics, but Gregs would put mine to shame so please reference his when reading my review.

Subject: Kerry Songbird Low D Review
(SongBird KWL 180205)

Reviewer
Keith Martin

Introduction
A few weeks ago Phil Hardy sent me a new Kerry Songbird Low D to review. As many of you know I am a big fan of Chieftain/Kerry Whistles having played, bought, traded and sold several over the last couple of years. So I was ecstatic to say the least to have been chosen to review this new whistle. Forgoing my bias for Chieftain/Kerry Whistles I sought to perform as objective review as possible.

Review Methodology
For this review I looked at the Kerry Songbird Low D from the standpoints of: playability, appearance, durability and esthetic quality.

- Playability: First and foremost one will notice the increased amount of back pressure present which for me is great because it allows the player to take fewer breathes while playing. The Songbird Low D produces a very sweet and mellow tone in both lower and upper octaves. Compared to my Chieftain Gold Low D and my NR Low D, the Songbird Low D to my ears produces a more haunting sound. I also noticed less clogging with the Songbird Low D.

- Appearance: The Songbird Low D doesn’t look like any of the other Chieftain/Kerry whistles I own. In comparison to the other two Chieftain Low Ds mentioned above, the Kerry appears to be 1/8” longer at a full 23” from tip to tip. It has a pronounced ¾” cap as the mouthpiece. The window is not rectangle, but a garden spade shaped window. The mouthpiece has a very distinctive curve, which helps with airflow. The aluminum and the seams are very smooth making this a very tight instrument. If you look down the tube one will notice that from the mouthpiece to the end it is narrower. This is due to aluminum blocks being placed on both sides just forward of the window. I believe these “wings” have been put into position to produce a more steady and straight current of airflow that improves sound quality.

- Durability: Anyone who has held or played a Chieftain Gold knows that you could use it in a bar/pub fight, come out a winner and still be able to play the whistle. It’s a whistle built for a lifetime of abuse. I can say that the Kerry Low D although aluminum appears to be just as durable and reliable as any of Phil’s whistles I currently own including my Chieftain Gold.

- Esthetic Quality: The Songbird Low D feels very comfortable in the hands. Like the majority of low whistles on the market the stretch is a bit much for someone with small hands, but is just right for those with medium to large hands. It is a well-balanced whistle in the hands of a player.

Review Summary
If one is looking for a Low D that is a joy to play, cosmetically appealing and has a great feel, then the Kerry Songbird Low D deserves consideration. Being primarily a low whistle player. I can honestly say that the Kerry Songbird Low D by far is the sweetest Low D I have ever played of the Chieftain line It just has a quality of its own that is hard to describe, but as soon as you get your hands on one and breathe air into it, you’ll understand.
Keith

Bionn dha insint ar sceal agus leagon deag ar amhran
There are two versions of every story and twelve of every song
alespa
Tell us something.: Music has been a part of my life for as long as I can remember. Part of what I love about celtic/folk style music is the sound of a handful of handmade instruments that remind me of simpler times.

Post by alespa »

I got my new Kerry Songbird Low D today, and I have to say WOW! Greg and Keith hit all the fine points of this whistle, so there's nothing I can add . . . except I have a rounded mouthpiece on mine—very sweet touch Phil! The fipple block is perfectly flush, the holes are wonderfully smooth. The finish and quality for a whistle at this price is amazing. The sound. The sound is almost flute-like, which is very appealing to me, especially since I don't play flute (yet). I am hoping this design takes off, 'cause I'm hoping Phil will consider making other low keys—say maybe an F (hint, hint).

Anyone looking for a quality low whistle with the finish and sound quality of a more expensive whistle, would do themselves a favor to consider this model!

Lemme see, do I go back to work now, or play the whistle some more . . . :boggle:

Matt
There's no such thing as a stranger, just friends we have not yet met.
alespa
Tell us something.: Music has been a part of my life for as long as I can remember. Part of what I love about celtic/folk style music is the sound of a handful of handmade instruments that remind me of simpler times.

Post by alespa »

Here's some pics of my Kerry Songbird Low D (250205) next to the Kerry Low D. Check out the awesome workmanship of the shaped mouthpiece on the Songbird!!

Fantastic whistle Phil, THANKS!!! :mrgreen: =D>
There's no such thing as a stranger, just friends we have not yet met.
StewySmoot

Post by StewySmoot »

I normally suggest that everyone needs to find the whistle that feels best to them, but...

This whistle is a must-have for any serious Low D player.

It has a unique sleepy haunting sound, I find it to be responsive both octaves, it has the Classic Phil Hardy playability that I find extremely rewarding (I own 14 of his instruments), ie, back-pressure, control of volume.

For reels and other faster tunes, I prefer the snap of the Kerry Pro (think of the octave jump of the G note in "Pigtown Fling"), for tunes with a lot of slides and bends, ie, that Davy Spillane pipe-tune on Riverdance, I like the NR Chieftain tunable, but for solo slow airs, this is one Low D whistle that I find hard to beat.

US price, only $120 appr which I find absolutely amazing. I wish I had found a Low D of this quality 4 years ago.
Last edited by StewySmoot on Sat Apr 16, 2005 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
<a href="http://www.whistletotheworld.com/" target="_blank"> Whistle to the World</a>
Helping underprivileged kids learn music via the Irish Whistle.
KDMARTINKY

Post by KDMARTINKY »

StewySmoot I have you beat....I own 24 of Phil's instruments including some very hard to find "Golds". :P
Keith

StewySmoot

Post by StewySmoot »

Darn you, Martinky, Darn you to Heck!
<a href="http://www.whistletotheworld.com/" target="_blank"> Whistle to the World</a>
KDMARTINKY

Post by KDMARTINKY »

Stewysmoot:

I still haven't figured how to play them all at the sametime. But as soon as I do I am resigning my State position and joining the circus. :lol:
Keith

KDMARTINKY

Review Update 5/15/05

Post by KDMARTINKY »

The KerrySongbird Low D has seen a revision to its design which makes it even more of a pleasure to play. The corners of the mouthpiece have been rounded-off to make it extreme comfortable.

I didn't think any whistle made was as good amy Chieftain Gold Low D.....but I stand corrected.

Just thought those considering a Low D would like to know that KerrySongbird Low D is one heck of a player!
Keith

StewySmoot

Post by StewySmoot »

I agree with you, Keith. Whenever I sit down to play a low D, the Songbird is the first I pick up. The sound is haunting.