Song at Fleadh

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Mini Whistler
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Song at Fleadh

Post by Mini Whistler »

For when you get to the air section of a Fleadh(Irish Music Competiton) I need your guys suggestions on what airs to play at the Fleadh. Thanks
Cheers
Mini :D
JamieHamilton

Re: Song at Fleadh

Post by JamieHamilton »

Mini Whistler wrote:For when you get to the air section of a Fleadh(Irish Music Competiton) I need your guys suggestions on what airs to play at the Fleadh. Thanks
Cheers
Hey, Mini,

I competed at the Fleadh Cheoil last year (in the States and Ireland) in the flute and flute slow airs, and in the latter category the judge is invariably a singer, not an instrumentalist (though occasionally both) - so don't expect to impress them with beautiful tone and technique. In every case, they're looking almost exclusively for airs that are adopted from songs - and not only songs, Gaelic songs. As the judge last year put it, "If I can't follow the Gaelic in my head when you're playing an air it's" - and I quote - "no good". So if you want to do well in the competitions, I'd advise you to play only airs that are adapted from Gaelic songs - forget about anything in English or anything instrumental, eg. Bright Lady, Bold Trainer, Lament for Staker Wallace, O'Raighlaigh's Grave, Johnny's Tune, etc. They might fly in the regional comps, but the judges skip right over them when they see them at the Fleadh Cheoil in Ireland.

And if you don't speak Gaelic - now you know how us poor basmati Yanks feel. 8)

Of course, I did find it rather funny when the judge looked down the list of airs I submitted for selection, hit "By the River of Gems", and asked me "Are you sure this is an Irish tune?" I was a biscuit away from suggesting we ask Seamus Ennis.

Regards,
James.
djm

Post by djm »

James wrote:Of course, I did find it rather funny when the judge looked down the list of airs I submitted for selection, hit "By the River of Gems", and asked me "Are you sure this is an Irish tune?"
"By the River of Gems" (Cois abhainn na Séad) is one name for this tune, but a sean-nós singer might know it better as "Fort of the Jewels" (Dún na Séad), which was the original name for Baltimore, West Cork, for which the tune is named.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
MurphyStout

Post by MurphyStout »

Hey Jamie, were there any regional fleadhs out west or did you have to go back east to compete? I'm thinking about competing next year but I don't want to have to fly to st louis or New York to compete. Thanks!
No I'm not returning...
JamieHamilton

Post by JamieHamilton »

MurphyStout wrote:Hey Jamie, were there any regional fleadhs out west or did you have to go back east to compete? I'm thinking about competing next year but I don't want to have to fly to st louis or New York to compete. Thanks!
Hey,

No, if you're here in the States, I'm afraid you're stuck with one of the two. I'm told there actually used to be four at some indeterminate point in the past, but apparently half of them folded for lack of participation.

As is, there's just the Midwest Fleadh and the Midatlantic Fleadh. Where are you at exactly? Just as a word of warning, they're pretty particular about who goes where, and about making sure everyone competes in the right district within the "North American Province" (delusions of grandeur, anybody?). I live in Boston, but was asked to fly down to St. Louis to play melody for a friend from Texas who wanted to go in for the accompaniment category. I figured I'd compete again for the hell of it, seeing as I'd be there anyway; but since that would have been competing out of my district, they handed me my hat. C'est la vie... Anyway, if you do decide to go, make sure you pick the right one.

Regards,
James.
kkrell
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Re: Song at Fleadh

Post by kkrell »

Mini Whistler wrote:For when you get to the air section of a Fleadh(Irish Music Competiton) I need your guys suggestions on what airs to play at the Fleadh. Thanks
Cheers
Tu An Bhuitis (played by Brian Duke on Cian's Three Shouts From A Hill)

Kevin Krell
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org