Flat sets - which key

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
PJ
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Flat sets - which key

Post by PJ »

There are 4 main keys for flat sets - Bb, B, C and C#. If you plan to be a loner and then the key you choose is probably down to personal taste.

However, when you still want to play occasionally with other musicians (fiddles, guitars, etc), I imagine that a C chanter is a better choice. Does any "flat piper" have any suggestions?
PJ
djm
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by djm »

The answer is obvious - get one of each! :D

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Pat Cannady
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: Flat sets - which key

Post by Pat Cannady »

PJ wrote:There are 4 main keys for flat sets - Bb, B, C and C#. If you plan to be a loner and then the key you choose is probably down to personal taste.

However, when you still want to play occasionally with other musicians (fiddles, guitars, etc), I imagine that a C chanter is a better choice. Does any "flat piper" have any suggestions?
If your playing is persuasive, then other competent musicians will be willing to tune to your instrument, even if it's in a wierd key like B natural.
:poke:

Many fiddlers find it relaxing and enjoyable to play fiddle in B, Bb, or C, and flat pipes + compatibly tuned fiddle go together "like ham and eggs".

If you want the flexibility to be able to play a flat set with a concertina, then probably a C set is your best choice. Other than that, get whatever you like best.

B limits you to playing with a compatibly tuned fiddle (E-B-F#-C#), a B whistle, and or a compatibly tuned accompanist with a very light touch. This is not a bad thing: some of the most beautiful recordings I have ever heard used just such an arrangement.

C# - a fiddler would need to tune to F#-C#-G#-D# or if you like Gb-Db-Ab-Eb, it's all the same. See B for description of limitations.

Bb flutes exist (and they're utterly gorgeous, BTW), and tuning the fiddle to Bb (Eb-Bb-F-C) works well, too. I have never heard Bb pipes and Bb flute together, but I imagine it's a great sound.

With B and Bb tunings, your fiddling partner may need to use some heavier strings, including a wound E (1st) string.
PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

Pat Cannady wrote:If your playing is persuasive, then other competent musicians will be willing to tune to your instrument, even if it's in a wierd key like B natural.
My piping has often persuaded people to go home early, if that's what you mean. :lol:

But seriously, thank for the advice. From what gather, C is probably the easiest all round, although I agree that Bb has the nicest sound.

By the way, a nice mix of flute and pipes (and fiddle and didgeridoo) in Bb is the Chieftain's version of Strayaway Child. Molloy's flute could calm a raging bull and the flat set Moloney plays melts my medulla oblongata every time I hear it.
PJ
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

PJ wrote:Molloy's flute could calm a raging bull and the flat set Moloney plays melts my medulla oblongata every time I hear it.
... can one say medulla oblongata on C&F? :lol:
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

C, señor.
eskin

Post by eskin »

C would be my vote...
Tony
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

This topic comes up enough to repeat.
Chanters were once referenced by their length and not their pitch. Many play somewhere between modern standards... so that Bb chanter you order could play sharp of Bb. Check with the pipemaker you plan on ordering from to see if he's made pitch adjustments or is duplicating a vintage set.
Jonathan
Tell us something.: Have played Irish traditional music >15 yrs. Flute, pipes, guitar.
I've taught music in Austin since 2011 or so.

Post by Jonathan »

Z flat
PJ wrote:There are 4 main keys for flat sets - Bb, B, C and C#. If you plan to be a loner and then the key you choose is probably down to personal taste.

Jim McGuire

Post by Jim McGuire »

Bb flat sets are rare and C# sets uncommon. Most people end up with C or B.

You might pick the key that you want and then also add on a D chanter. You wouldn't play the regs or drone with it but you could play in a session.
fel bautista
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fel bautista »

Any key which I could afford with a minimum of waiting

...ok C, B, Bb. Really torn between C or Bb, having gotten to play a few.
Pat Cannady
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Pat Cannady »

BBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBB :lol: :lol:
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

So, ummm, Pat. Which key do you prefer? :D
PJ

Post by PJ »

I've only played a B. Honestly, I find very little difference between D and C# (other than I can't play along with Seamus Ennis recordings :lol:).

I really like the sound of Bb chanter Paddy Moloney plays from time to time. I don't know whether it's the fact that it's Bb or whether there is a special quality about that particular chanter (or even the recording). Some Liam O'Flynn recordings have a B chanter (I think it's B) and that's wounderful stuff. Then again, is it the fact it is B or the particular chanter :-?

I suppose the only way to be really sure is to get to play a few different chanters. I'll have to try get myself to the Pipers Gathering in Vermont in August. It's the nearest big piping event to Quebec.
PJ
Ed Harrison

Post by Ed Harrison »

I think a lot of it will be who the pipe maker is that makes the flat set. To my ears, not all of them sound the same when in the same key. I would not cross off a C# set from your list until you have played a really nice set.
On a C# the holes are closer and I find it easier to play. I really like the sound of a B or B flat, but my hands are too short.

I vote C#.

....... Ed