The Beatles vs. The Monkees

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Dale
The Landlord
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

The Beatles vs. The Monkees

Post by Dale »

Perhaps you've already seen/heard this. I'm always behind:

http://www.gohomeproductions.co.uk/vide ... liever.mov

Dale
IRTradRU?

Post by IRTradRU? »

I'd heard this (but not seen the vid) some time ago, where was it???

Anyway, Michael Nesmith, the music behind 'The Monkees' often said that his biggest influence in his music writing was ... The Fab Four.
IRTradRU?
IRTradRU?

Post by IRTradRU? »

Geez, Dale - are we the only ones old enough to know who these bands are?

:lol:
IRTradRU?
susnfx

Post by susnfx »

Are you kidding me? These were MY bands! I can't get the video to load (must be too big). I loved both these bands.

Did you know Mike Nesmith's mother invented liquid paper (white-out)? Absolutely true.

Susan
IRTradRU?

Post by IRTradRU? »

susnfx wrote:Are you kidding me? These were MY bands! I can't get the video to load (must be too big). I loved both these bands.

Did you know Mike Nesmith's mother invented liquid paper (white-out)? Absolutely true.

Susan
It took a while to load - it's probably mega-sized, no doubt.

And yes, I'll admit - for my 14th birthday, I got their first album "The Monkees".

Of course, by that time, The Beatles were working on 'The White Album'.
IRTradRU?
FJohnSharp
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

There are more dead Beatles than there are dead Monkees.
"Meon an phobail a thogail trid an chultur"
(The people’s spirit is raised through culture)

Suburban Symphony
Jack

Post by Jack »

I like Yoko Ono.

Her name is so fun to say, and she's a very beautiful person to look at.
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

FJohnSharp wrote:There are more dead Beatles than there are dead Monkees.
I saw Davy Jones on a late night infomercial recently. So, yes, if you call that living, he's still alive. :moreevil:

Actually as someone old enough at the time to despise the Monkees as the product of a cynical TV network, I must say I now like some of their records. They were clearly better than we had any right to expect them to be.
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

They have those infomericals down under? Yikes. The Roger Daltrey one is truly scary. What happened to that guy?
How do you prepare for the end of the world?
Chang He

Post by Chang He »

Cranberry wrote:I like Yoko Ono.

Her name is so fun to say, and she's a very beautiful person to look at.
Of course, she also had a voice that's tougher to listen to than a handful of pennies in a blender. So I guess there are trade-offs in life.
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

The Weekenders wrote:They have those infomericals down under? Yikes. The Roger Daltrey one is truly scary. What happened to that guy?
*Readily accepts cue*

*Sings*

Didn't die before he got old
Talkin' 'bout my generaration.

Yeah we get them too. I don't actually watch them except when something so weird happens I can't resist. But sometimes if I'm chatting with someone in North America or Europe late at night on the internet I might have left the TV on and they creep up on me and then creep me out.
djm

Post by djm »

susanfx wrote:Did you know Mike Nesmith's mother invented liquid paper (white-out)? Absolutely true.
I thought this stuff was great at first, but now I can't get it off my screen. :boggle:

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

djm wrote:
susanfx wrote:Did you know Mike Nesmith's mother invented liquid paper (white-out)? Absolutely true.
I thought this stuff was great at first, but now I can't get it off my screen. :boggle:

djm
You know, I never met anyone who actually did that, but I've known several who didn't like computers because you couldn't type enough on the page . . . they were typing a screenful, then printing it, then typing another screenful and printing it . . . and they swear to me that it disappears when it scrolls off . . .

In fact, I work with someone now who still doesn't get it that she doesn't have to print out all her email to read it. I pointed out that she would save a lot of time by reading it on the screen, particularly if the email isn't relevant to what she's doing. But, no, she says she has to print them in order to save them. Has a big bunch of cardboard boxes under her desk filled with old emails going back several years. And why is she doing that? Because she doesn't know that the software saves the emails.

Even worse, nothing anyone says can convince her the stuff is still in there. When I show her, she acts like it's some sort of Voodoo.

Back on topic, the Beatles are the best ever. No comparison.
IRTradRU?

Post by IRTradRU? »

Wombat wrote:I saw Davy Jones on a late night infomercial recently. So, yes, if you call that living, he's still alive. :moreevil:

Actually as someone old enough at the time to despise the Monkees as the product of a cynical TV network, I must say I now like some of their records. They were clearly better than we had any right to expect them to be.
That's actually pretty good for Jones, considering he hadn't a hint of music ability in him. He was there for the 'charm' effect... sort of the answer to Paul McCartney (they were created to show the world that the Beatles could be conquered), but then the TV producers got hold of them and off to the land of never-ending tangents they went. I remember reading an interview with Mike Nesmith, done some years back - he wanted to be taken seriously as a musician (and he's a great one) but the TV show producers wanted everything canned, pre-recorded, yada yada.

They did have some good songs, but just the other day, the wife and I heard "Daydream Believer", but covered by Anne Murray.... what in the name of all that is holy is that song supposed to be about?!?
Daydream Believer wrote: Oh, I could hide ’neath the wings
Of the bluebird as she sings.
The six o’clock alarm would never ring.
Whoops it’s ringing and I rise,
Wipe the sleep out of my eyes.
My shavin’ razor’s cold and it stings.

Cheer up, sleepy jean.
Oh, what can it mean.
To a daydream believer
And a homecoming queen.

You once thought of me
As a white knight on a steed.
Now you know how happy I can be.
Oh, and our good times starts and end
Without dollar one to spend.
But how much, baby, do we really need.

Cheer up, sleepy jean.
Oh, what can it mean.
To a daydream believer
And a homecoming queen.
Cheer up, sleepy jean.
Oh, what can it mean.
To a daydream believer
And a homecoming queen.

[instrumental interlude]

Cheer up, sleepy jean.
Oh, what can it mean.
To a daydream believer
And a homecoming queen.
[repeat and fade]
:-?

YEEESH! That's just AWFUL!
IRTradRU?
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

IRTradRU? wrote:
They did have some good songs, but just the other day, the wife and I heard "Daydream Believer", but covered by Anne Murray.... what in the name of all that is holy is that song supposed to be about?!?
I can't give you a straight answer. (Nudge nudge say no more.) But I can give you a hint. I heard that song sung recently by the guy who wrote it. Last time around, instead of:
Daydream Believer wrote: Cheer up, sleepy jean.
Oh, what can it mean.
To a daydream believer
And a homecoming queen.
[repeat and fade]
what he sings is:

Cheer up, sleepy jean.
Oh, what can it mean.
To a daydream deceiver
And an old closet queen.

Get it now?

:wink: