Review - O'Brien Whistle (1 head & 5 bodies) *new pic*

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
dfernandez77
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: So, please write a little about why you are interested. We're just looking for something that will make it clear to us, when we read it, why you are registering and that you know what this forum is all about.

Review - O'Brien Whistle (1 head & 5 bodies) *new pic*

Post by dfernandez77 »

Material: Nickel plated copper headpiece, 5 copper bodies (special request)
Bore: Standard
Key: One headpiece and 5 bodies in the key of Bb, C, D, Eb, & E
Case: Soft cloth roll case, I selected B & W Hounds tooth from 4 choices
Price: C$120.00 including shipping worldwide (US$95.00) + C$15.00 for the case
URL: http://www.obrienwhistles.com/

Added 06/24/05: I am adding a new pic after one month to show how a little playing adds character to the copper. Pretty sexy huh?

First let me preface my disclaimers by admitting that I may be easy to please, but I'm not so easy that I will not make special requests. First, I ordered a copper fipple plug - David O'Brien gives the purchaser a choice of copper, clear Lucite, or black Delrin. Then I threw caution to the wind and with wild abandon asked, "Please sir, would you leave the bodies un-plated?" Mr. O'Brien may have thought I had a screw loose, but he kindly obliged me.

Disclaimers first:
1. I'm a beginner so listen to the sound samples for a taste of the voice, and imagine what a good player could do.
2. My review is based on my limited knowledge and experience (1 year playing, owning less than 15 whistles).
3. I'm usually easy to please.
5. Nobody knows who I am, so I don't get free whistles to review - I bought the set.
Having said that - let's get on with it.

Visual Aesthetics:
This whistle has a sturdy look without being clunky. The bore (all five bodies) is about the same as my other standard D's. The nickel plating is industrial chic, a bit like a tool. The special order natural copper bodies look great! (Don't do it for anyone else David, I want the only set). The satin polish finish is nice. The solid copper fipple is joined well and looks nice. The attention to detail is great all around.

Mechanics:
A very sturdy well made whistle - with very clean solder joins. Decent fit at the tuning slide. Slide operation is a little rough, but copper on copper has a kind of sticky/crunchy feel naturally. There is no score on the tuning slide so you'll need a reference to check if it's in the right spot. It's heavy, but well balanced and easy to manage even with the solid copper fipple plug. David applied no-nonsense quality craftsmanship to make this whistle.

Playability:
Comfortable - I don't have another word for it. Substantial and balanced in the hands. The fipple is comfortable on the lips (just don't bang your teeth on it). You don't need to feather-finger this like you would a lighter whistle. You can "rap" on it while playing fast for a dandy, in-tune, quiet metallic percussive ring. Breath requirement is lightish down in low end - especially at the bell note - then climbs pretty quickly to nearly match my Shaw in the second octave (breath deep). Over all it plays very comfortably.

Tuning:
I would like to see David put a score for in-tune. I know it can change with temp and such, but give me some indication - especially with 5 different bodies to slide on one headpiece. So I set my five bodies with a tuner and marked them with a Sharpie. All the bodies are in tune with themselves. The D has a medium volume bell note, and C natural (OXXOOO) is right on at expected breath. The second octave is right on and doesn't climb in volume much, even though the breath requirement is a bit above average up there.

Voice:
Round, very rich, warm, and a little husky. In the low end it doesn't have chiff, it has chuff (I made that up, but I think you can get it). Up higher it has an open, smooth, airy character. It's not "pure" - it's got character, with light harmonic echoes in each note. I think the all solid copper, and the fipple/labium design (see the photo) create a unique voice capable of lots of expression.

Subjective Summary:
I opened the package and my first impression was "Oh, very cool!" It feels solid and balanced while playing it. If you've ever worked with mechanics tools you learn how to feel when you've got a good tool in your hand. This whistle has the same solid, trusty feeling as a good tool. Once in tune, the notes are right on at the relative breath pressure you expect. The voice character is really cool, with both a bit of husky John Hammond (the Bluesman), and rich and warm Gloria Estefan. Over all it's like those broken in hiking boots - trusty, solid, and comfortable (without the smell).

About the special order copper bodies: I really like the two tones of nickel and copper together. The copper has a tiny bit of that sharp smell I remember from carrying a lucky penny in my hand many moons ago (pennies used to be copper when I was a kid). The nickel plating on the headpiece makes it fairly neutral taste wise. I know the copper will oxidize and change color, but I like the idea the whistle body will have character like the whistle's voice.

Your comments and criticisms are welcomed.

Sound Samples:
Lucky for you, the sound sample is NOT my playing. These samples at David's site are a fair representation:
http://www.obrienwhistles.com/copper.MP3
http://www.obrienwhistles.com/OBPWlisten.html
Last edited by dfernandez77 on Sat Jun 25, 2005 12:11 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Daniel

It's my opinion - highly regarded (and sometimes not) by me. Peace y'all.
Jack
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Jack »

Super review! :thumbsup:

I don't think I've ever seen such clear up-close pictures of O'Briens (I've never played one either). Very very sharp-looking whistles! :)
Dazzle1

Post by Dazzle1 »

Great review , photos superb
Keep up the good work

D
dfernandez77
Tell us something.: So, please write a little about why you are interested. We're just looking for something that will make it clear to us, when we read it, why you are registering and that you know what this forum is all about.

Post by dfernandez77 »

Dazzle1 wrote:Keep up the good work

But I would have to keep buying whistles to "keep it up." :o

Note to self: "must win lottery"
Daniel

bjs

Post by bjs »

just tried my Eb with head on wrong end. isn't that the Ahava Rabba scale? Sounds very middle eastern. two for the price of 1 :o

Brian
Dazzle1

Post by Dazzle1 »

dfernandez77 wrote:

None of those negative vibes

WILL WIN LOTTERY

D
dfernandez77

Post by dfernandez77 »

Dazzle1 wrote:
dfernandez77 wrote:

None of those negative vibes

WILL WIN LOTTERY

D
Ah! It's Yoda wisdom...
"Do or do not... there is no try." :D

But if Yoda was a Great Dane, it would be.....
"DOO and DOO again, and again, and again..." :roll:
Daniel

khl
Tell us something.: Longtime member of Chiff and Fipple. I own/have owned more whistles than a person should, I think. But I’m not complaining.

Post by khl »

I recently bought a set of these. I love playing it and the sound really is beautiful. I am certain the neighbors think a new and better whistler has moved in. When I first played it I was ready to get rid of all my other whistles (Clarke, Feadog, Generation, Little Black, Susato). I've decided to keep these anyway, both because I like the personality of each and because I figure that if I can learn to sound good on these, the Obrien I have will make me seem doubly good.
regor

Post by regor »

I'd agree with most comments expressed about the O'Brien. I also recently got a D/C set and find it very easy to play, sweet yet pure and expressive. However, if you're picky about the look, I'd warn anyone buying the nickel plated version to ask for 2 or 3 extra layers of plating and pay extra if need be. It is very very thin, 1-2 microns at best and wears off very quickly (in less than a week I could see through the copper where my tumbs rest). On the other hand, David will replate for free as often as you wish, providing you don't mind the shipping cost. I might do that when they get real ugly, if I mind at that point, or even get it re-plated locally.

For comparison, you may like to check the following 3 versions of the same tune, played by the Obrien C/D and Susato. Warning: only started playing 4 months ago ... still a long way to go!

http://www.magma.ca/~jazzcats/tunes/Yon ... ien_C).mp3
http://www.magma.ca/~jazzcats/tunes/Yon ... ien_D).mp3
http://www.magma.ca/~jazzcats/tunes/Yon ... ato_C).mp3
Whistling Pops
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Whistling Pops »

dfernandez77 wrote:
Dazzle1 wrote:Keep up the good work

But I would have to keep buying whistles to "keep it up." :o

I bought this set also. I like these whistles very much. If the plating were better that would be an improvement, but even as they are,they are very nice.

Whistling Pops
OBrien

Post by OBrien »

I've found that the nickel plating is more stable for some people that others. Must be something about body/skin chemistry. I've been playing some for months, with no problem, yet last summer I played one all day, outside at a festival on a very hot day. The nickel got a little thin on that one in spots, because of my sweaty hands and possibly the sunscreen I was using. I've seen whistles that people have played for a year and they look brand new.

In the year that I've been nickel plating, none have been returned because of plating issues, but I hope people with a problem with return them for replating.

I'm happy to score tuning slides, by request, for those who don't want to do it themselves or who don't have a tuner.

Thanks to Daniel for the time he took to write a very thorough review and for the great pictures, some of which are already on my website (with his permission, of course).
dfernandez77

Post by dfernandez77 »

bump!

New pic :D
Daniel