Irish Rovers tragedy

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Charlene
antispam: No

Irish Rovers tragedy

Post by Charlene »

It's not one of the original group, but Paul Lawton, who has been their percussionist for a few years now, was killed about a week ago. Here's the message from Wallace Hood, who has been part of the Irish Rovers for about 10 years now:
Wallace Hood wallacehood@comcast.net

Hello all - I've been on the move a lot lately and haven't been able to keep up with things. There has been tragedy in the Irish Rovers ranks. Just yesterday, our bodhran player/percussionist, Paul Lawton, was horrifically killed out in Vancouver. He was helping some friends chop wood and the sleeve of his shirt caught in the woodchipper, dragging him in before anyone could react. I am so shocked I can barely type this, and I can't imagine what it must have been like to witness such a death. Paul was the token Englishman in the band, and believe me he had to endure endless banter, especially since he was a diehard Everton supporter among a group of Man. Utd. fanatics! Those of us who called him friend will remember him as one of the world's true good guys. Go in peace Paul.

(Posted at 20:50 on 17 July 2005)
The site this was on is Belfast Folk at http://www.belfastfolk.co.uk/messageboa ... oardjs.asp

The Irish Rovers were in the middle of putting together a 40th anniversary album. There's no info about Paul's death on their official site yet.
Charlene
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

That's terrible! Poor fellow...I can't imagine how horrible that must be.

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
djm
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by djm »

Shades of Fargo .... :o

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Bloomfield
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Bloomfield »

djm wrote:Shades of Fargo .... :o

djm
... and of Spinal Tap.

Terrible, and sorry to hear. :(
/Bloomfield
MarkB

Post by MarkB »

It was a tragedy and the Irish community here in Windsor was to say the least in deep shock when we heard about it from his parents, who use to live and work here in Windsor (Paul was raised here) and were members of the Irish club here before they retired to the Vancouver area to be near Paul.

Paul was one of the original members of the Paperboys, which did get some great national exposure and played in Windsor several times to rockin' sold out audiences.

There was a memorial service and mass this past Sunday here in Windsor.

the Paperboys website is here with a tribute to Paul "Lolly" Lawton.

http://www.paperboys.com/

MarkB
Everybody has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

Sad and terrible news indeed.