The Matrix - Reloaded

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
moxy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

The Matrix - Reloaded

Post by moxy »

Just watched this movie again last night. Man, I get something from it every time I see it again! This is the 2nd movie in the series of 3.

Not sure why I picked this one specifically. I was having a really down day yesterday, and it crossed my mind to view the first one, where Morpheus says to Neo "Now that you know the truth, would you really want to go back?" - to which the obvious unspoken answer is no...

Here's a transcript of one of my favorite scenes, the one where Neo meets the Architect - http://www.neoandtrinity.net/transcript.html

Of course, there are loads of things that lead to this particular moment, not the least of which is the meeting between the Oracle and Neo on the park bench, just before Neo fights all the Smiths... That scene is quite impressive as well, as far as explaining concepts.

I can see sooo many parallels between this movie and real life. How fascinating that Neo's entire journey, up until the end of this movie, is governed by all these controlling programs that make him believe one thing, while simply playing out a little game they've played out five times previously...

But this time, "The One" is not quite the same, nor are his friends...

Any other Matrix fans out there?...

YUM!!!
djm

Post by djm »

Not to that extent. I love the imagery and production design. I could care less for the feeble attempts to mix pseudo psychobabble with computer engineering terms to justify the plot. By the way, avoid Constantine if you haven't already seen it. It is real crap.

I am concerned that the better the movie companies get with digital effects, the weaker the plots get and the more insipid the dialogue. This was understandable with the beginning of the new round of SFX going to the more experimental films, but they don't seem to have caught on that these super-realistic effects need to be married up to a top notch film that's worth seeing.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
moxy

Post by moxy »

Yeah, a friend of mine is of the same mind as you. He's into the psychobabble outside of the Matrix, but finds that Matrix would have been a better movie without it. He's the type who likes the subject matter, just doesn't like to be preached about it.

I'm still not feeling preached to so far, with these movies. I'm glad to still be getting some enjoyment out of them. I love getting some personal understanding from movies too, and these ones do it for me every time. I suspect the day will come, though, when I will not want to get that from the Matrix anymore, because I'm sure there is a limit to what I can get from them...

Constantine? I've heard of it, and saw it in the video store. But haven't been entirely drawn to it either... I'm gearing up for watching Kinsey later on tonight!!
Teri-K

Post by Teri-K »

Good point, djm and I have to agree. We’ve watched a few of the newer super-effects movies lately on digital cable and find that at the end we look at each other and say, “so, what did you think?” Almost always it’s “uh… good special effects”. It can be an empty feeling.

For anyone that has Comcast digital cable, there’s an interesting movie category in “On Demand” under the “free movies” section called Palm VOD. They have some independent, not-yet-wide-release films available. The type you’d rarely get the chance to see in local theaters. I spent Saturday watching a couple of them, and have to say I enjoyed them much more than the super-effects blockbusters.
Henke
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Henke »

I was a bit turned off by this film. I think it was a dissapointment after the first one, I personally think they should have stoped at one. I haven't even seen the last one yet. Don't know if I will.
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

djm wrote:I am concerned that the better the movie companies get with digital effects, the weaker the plots get and the more insipid the dialogue.
The Star Wars prequels are primo examples of this, much more so than the Matrix movies.

I have high hopes for the upcoming sci-fi movie Serenity. It's based on the short-lived TV series Firefly, which was character-driven and had excellent writing and acting, and the movie has the same writer-director and cast. (I highly recommend the Firefly DVD set. It's only 13 episodes, but every one is a gem.)
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
moxy

Post by moxy »

Henke, you're not the first to tell me that about really enjoying the first, but not seeing any point to the second or third. Or rather, finding that the style of the 2nd and 3rd just don't live up to the wonderful presentation of the first.

I just watched another great film - I'm sure some of you have seen it. Kinsey, with Liam Neeson. What a great movie! My friend Tom will be writing a review of it on Hour magazine (http://hour.ca/members/profile_feedback ... embre=1749). I don't quite know what he'll say, but for the most part, we tend to feel similarly about the movies we've seen. He just gives them a lot more thought, and actually puts into words what he's experienced.

What was the general feeling out there about Kinsey? Did you find yourself relieved to discover a lot of the stuff we do is actually OK? Or did you find it disgusting that this would ever be brought into the open? Any other reactions?
Tyler
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

jsluder wrote:
djm wrote:I am concerned that the better the movie companies get with digital effects, the weaker the plots get and the more insipid the dialogue.
The Star Wars prequels are primo examples of this, much more so than the Matrix movies.
Bingo!
Gold star for Slude...Shoulda stuck to the story/plot...(actually, they should have tied Lucas up in a closet and never let him near the prequels! You ever notice how, of the original three, the best ones are the ones Lucas DIDDN'T direct?)

When the first Matrix was out I was still in college, and back then I was just trying for a liberal arts major. My "Intro to Sartre" professor said something that, while harsh, is probably true....to paraphrase, he said "I went and saw the Matrix last night...what an awful movie! If it weren't for the special effects, you could swear it was an independant film from a philosophy major dropout."
While I wouldn't take so bleak a position on the film, I personally thought the first film in the series started off on a good idea, but failed to expound more upon the existential philosophy behind the idea...(much like Constantine...I'm so sorry I wasted $2 and 2hrs of my time with that one :moreevil: )
The other two films seemed like a complete departure from the premise of the first film; to me, they diddn't even seem to fit in the same trilogy..
Anyways...that's just one shmoe's opinion. :D

On a related topic...I think the influx of these "super-duper-special effects" movies are a direct result of society's constant need for more stimulation in order to enjoy one's self, not just because we can insert these lovely effects. Some of my favorite movies or television series had damned awful special effects, but had wonderful storylines.
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
dwinterfield

Post by dwinterfield »

"imagery and production design + pseudo psychobabble + computer engineering terms"

I think that's a pretty good formula for a movie.

It would be even better if it added "epic struggle between good and evil" + "ominous, vague religious overtones blending catholicism with eastern mysticism" + "threatened man-made planetary extiction".

of course it would need a bit of romance too.
djm

Post by djm »

Okay, since we all seem to be of some accord on the next gen SFX, how about just imagery? My favourites for imagery would have to include the Hellraiser films - all of them low-budget, stupid and inconsequential, but I love the imagery, from Pinhead to the puzzlebox. For production design I am still in awe of Ridley Scott's Bladerunner - again, a dopey film with not much substance, but so well put together visually when displayed on the screen.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Tyler
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

djm wrote:Okay, since we all seem to be of some accord on the next gen SFX, how about just imagery? My favourites for imagery would have to include the Hellraiser films - all of them low-budget, stupid and inconsequential, but I love the imagery, from Pinhead to the puzzlebox. For production design I am still in awe of Ridley Scott's Bladerunner - again, a dopey film with not much substance, but so well put together visually when displayed on the screen.

djm
Those are all on my fav list, man! (my wife hates em though!)
I'm not sure how folks feel about the imagery in George A. Romero's Living Dead series, but I love zombie films too.
28 Days Later, remake of Dawn of the Dead was pretty good. (sure as hell was not a psychobabble movie! :twisted: )
I loved Shaun of the Dead! Bout peed meself!
By the way...anyone seen the new Romero film yet?
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
moxy

Post by moxy »

Yes! I saw Land of the Dead about a month or so ago. That was my first zombie movie.

It was interesting to talk about it afterwards, and realize how Romero portrays the American culture - the elite are all secluded in this beautifully kept building, away from the dregs of society who don't quite measure up. They're protected in their bubble... or are they really?

We were a bit puzzled by the way it ended, how the heroes didn't kill off all the zombies. But we understood that they were perhaps sympathizing with each other, realizing that everyone is just trying to find a place where they can be.
Montana

Post by Montana »

I really liked the first Matrix. Since it was the first, it was an honest effort and the Brothers weren't trying to top anything. The second movie was just too slow - too many long shots like where the people are all dancing during the party. But for those of you out there that stopped there, I encourage you to go ahead and rent the third movie. Yes, good effects but it seemed to have some more substance. Of the three, I liked the second movie the least.

And I think it's kind of whitewashing everything with the same brush when you just dismiss the movie with the term "psychobabble". There may be some of that there but there are some very applicable points, Coppertop. Like my favorite quote from Agent Smith: he hit the nail on the head and the truth of it has nothing to do with the movie plot.

Agent Smith: "I'd like to share a revelation that I've had during my time here. It came to me when I tried to classify your species. I realized that you're not actually mammals. Every mammal on this planet instinctively develops a natural equilibrium with the surrounding environment, but you humans do not. You move to an area, and you multiply, and multiply, until every natural resource is consumed. The only way you can survive is to spread to another area. There is another organism on this planet that follows the same pattern. A virus. Human beings are a disease, a cancer of this planet, you are a plague, and we are the cure."
Tyler

Post by Tyler »

Montana wrote: And I think it's kind of whitewashing everything with the same brush when you just dismiss the movie with the term "psychobabble". There may be some of that there but there are some very applicable points, Coppertop. Like my favorite quote from Agent Smith: he hit the nail on the head and the truth of it has nothing to do with the movie plot.

Agent Smith: "I'd like to share a revelation that I've had during my time here. It came to me when I tried to classify your species. I realized that you're not actually mammals. Every mammal on this planet instinctively develops a natural equilibrium with the surrounding environment, but you humans do not. You move to an area, and you multiply, and multiply, until every natural resource is consumed. The only way you can survive is to spread to another area. There is another organism on this planet that follows the same pattern. A virus. Human beings are a disease, a cancer of this planet, you are a plague, and we are the cure."
Okay, thats not psychobabble, I'll give you that...
It's a blunt stab at popular philosophy :D
moxy

Re: The Matrix - Reloaded

Post by moxy »

moxy wrote:I can see sooo many parallels between this movie and real life. How fascinating that Neo's entire journey, up until the end of this movie, is governed by all these controlling programs that make him believe one thing, while simply playing out a little game they've played out five times previously...

But this time, "The One" is not quite the same, nor are his friends...
Have any of you seen the movie "They Live"?

I saw that recently, and it hit me just how programmed we are (or should I say, how programmed I am...?). Programmed primarily by our parents, but also by our society and surroundings. We're made to believe certain things that affect our choices (oh crap, just realized that the Matrix deals with the subject of choice in a different way entirely...) and lead us down a particular path. But if we didn't have these influences, would our choices have been different?

If we could more easily listen to our own selves and our desires, and act upon those without worrying about whether it fit some higher motive, would we live different lives?

I do believe that if we stop worrying about whether we fit into a grander picture, we WILL fit in without even trying...

I'm no psych major or anything, but have been dealing with these types of observations about myself and my own life lately...

So I find the Matrix utterly interesting right now. Psychobabble or whatever... If it resonates, I listen.