Recordings of Patsy Hanly?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
BrendanB
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Recordings of Patsy Hanly?

Post by BrendanB »

Does anyone know if there are recordings available of Patsy Hanly? I really enjoy his playing on the flute players of Roscommon album and was wondering if there is more.

thanks,
brendan
s1m0n
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

Free downloads, including 4 tracks by Patsy Hanley: http://www.lafferty.ca/music/irish/flute-geezers/

There's also another on SteveJ's site: http://www.rogermillington.com/tunetoc/index.html
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
kenny

Patsy Hanly recordings

Post by kenny »

Patsy Hanly has to my knowledge never made a full solo recording, but he does appear on several records and CDs. I think he may have appeared on one or more of the Comhaltas Tour LPs which were recorded in the 70s and 80s. He was on the Comhaltas tour of the UK in 1978 – I saw him in Edinburgh, so if a recording was made that year, he would be on it, but it would only possibly be 1 solo track. He has a few tracks on an obscure LP on the “Dolphin” label recorded at the All-Ireland Fleadh in 1975. I seem to remember these were duets with fiddler Jim McKillop.
[ Incidentally, Michael Flatley has a couple of solo flute tracks on that particular recording].
More recently, he appeared on a charity double CD called “Lamh Ar Lamh”, and was also recorded at a concert in memory of the late Jimmy McHugh of Glasgow.
On all of these recordings, he only would have one or a few tracks at most, so it may not be worth your while going to the trouble to hunt them down. The LPs would be hard to find, the CDs should still be available.
"There's fast music and there's lively music. People don't always know the difference"
Kevin L. Rietmann

Post by Kevin L. Rietmann »

Funny thing, I borrowed some LPs from a friend just the other day and yesterday dubbed "Jenny's Wedding" onto my computer. This is a CCE LP from the 70s, with two tracks of Patsy Hanly.
I've seen these CCE LPs on Ebay from time to time, they usually sell for over $20 US.