New FREE slowdowner software

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Chadd
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Chadd »

KAD wrote:Anything out there for Mac users?
I haven't seen similar freeware for the Mac, but I've been happy with Amazing Slow Downer and I think it is worth the $45, considering how often I use it. A couple of big selling points for me were the audio quality when slowed and the ability to slow down AAC files, which is the compression codec I use for my iTunes library.
Random notes

Post by Random notes »

KAD wrote:Anything out there for Mac users?

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/download/mac

Sourceforge is an open-source software development site. Lots of exciting and way cool stuff for the geeky and uber-geeky types out there.

I'm no geek - I can't even figure out how to display an umlaut for "uber-geek", so I think it's handy, but it doesn't get my nipples hard.

Roger
Non omnes qui habemt citharam sunt citharoedi
misterpatrick

Post by misterpatrick »

Hey all,

the Error 139 in Amazing Slowdowner just means it isn;t registered. I bought it a little while ago and it works great on both MP3's and AIFF's. I am running on a Mac so no problem there. I think this is the only solution for the Mac though I may be wrong.

And for those geeky like me and working on tunes in pitches that are recorded with sets othr than D. Here's my cheat sheet. While this may seem obvious, I wasn't sure if that would be the case when actually changing the pitch of a tune but it appears to work fine. Feel free to add or change the numbers.

C Nat to D +1.9
C Sharp to D +1.0
B to D + 3.0
MarcusR
Location: I stay in a place called 'Rooms'... There's a whole chain of them.

Post by MarcusR »

misterpatrick wrote:Hey all,

the Error 139 in Amazing Slowdowner just means it isn;t registered. I bought it a little while ago and it works great on both MP3's and AIFF's.
:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

I'll go and hide for a week, can I come back after that?

Are you sure about this?
Why would they let out a shareware that dont work properly without clearly stating why? Kind of bad marketing as this was the main reason to why I haven't paid and registered the software.
Don't want to risk paying for something that dont seem to work with my system. The specifics say that all features are there but only for the first track.

/MarcusR
There is no such thing as tailwind -- it's either against you or you're simply having great legs!
BillChin

Post by BillChin »

The program bombed on my system too [ Win 98 ]. I have not tried the suggested fix of installing new codecs.

>>>>
All you guys with problems probably need to update your audio codecs.

http://www.doom9.org

Knock yerselves out.

For the technically challenged.., your best bet is to download a codec pack like K-lite's pack or the older Nimo pack, uncheck the vid codecs and just install audio, like lame mp3, ogg, AC3-Wav, etc.

http://www.free-codecs.com/Codec_Packs.htm
ausdag

Post by ausdag »

misterpatrick wrote:Hey all,

the Error 139 in Amazing Slowdowner just means it isn;t registered0
ASD works fine unregistered; it's the 'Best Practice' program that's giving the illegal operation pop-ups when opening.

I use ASD but as unregistered, meaning it will only play the 1st 3 tracks of a CD or 1/3 of a sound file.

To get around that, I burn any tracks I want to learn onto a CD-RW and put it through AMazing SD. When done, simply wipe the CD and burn the next three.

But I'll try downlaodingthe codecs too.

Cheers,

DavidG
David (ausdag) Goldsworthy
http://ozuilleann.weebly.com/
misterpatrick

Post by misterpatrick »

Marcus,

do a search for Error 139 and Amazing Slowdowner and you'll see the issue. It's an artificial error that they put in there for people using it unregistered. I had the same problem and once I purchased it no more problems.

It's a great program, I just wish it had a better and bigger interface and supported song lists.
ausdag

Post by ausdag »

Rick wrote: For the technically challenged.., your best bet is to download a codec pack like K-lite's pack or the older Nimo pack, uncheck the vid codecs and just install audio, like lame mp3, ogg, AC3-Wav, etc.

http://www.free-codecs.com/Codec_Packs.htm

good luck!

Hmmmm.....I've just tried downloading two different codec packs, twice, because the first pack I tried - Klite - finished download after only 2 minutes (dial-up) and when I went instal I got a message thet files were corrupted. So I tried a different pack -10mb, download finished after 4.8mb...same thing, corrupted files :-?

Cheers,

DavidG
ausdag

Post by ausdag »

oops...sorry misterpatrick...I see the issue you're talking about...my mistake :oops: I didn't read Marcus' post properly...tsk..tsk

Cheers,

DavidG
Joseph E. Smith
antispam: No

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

ausdag wrote:oops...sorry misterpatrick...I see the issue you're talking about...my mistake :oops: I didn't read Marcus' post properly...tsk..tsk

Cheers,

DavidG

...... have another glass of Merlot mate. :lol:
Rick

Post by Rick »

No idea why you'd get corrupted dls from there, could be lots of things.
There are loads of mirror sites offering codecs/packs though.

Winrar also has the weird habbit of telling you an archive is corrupt when the version of the archive is newer than the winrar version trying to unpack it.
ausdag

Post by ausdag »

Joseph E. Smith wrote:
Haven't actually cracked it open yet. Maybe that's my problem :party:
Joseph E. Smith
antispam: No

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

ausdag wrote:
Joseph E. Smith wrote:
Haven't actually cracked it open yet. Maybe that's my problem :party:
Well stuff me red and call me 'Pheasant', get on with it mate!
Calum

Post by Calum »

Two notes - BP isn't free, it just uses a LGPL library (which is free). This doesn't require the author to release source, and I see no hint he intends to. Second, it is only in version 0.92, meaning you have no guarantee of functionality. Might be one to bookmark and come back to, though.

For this kind of stuff I use Audacity, as there is so much that can be done with it. Although you can't just pop in a CD and play it slowly, you can do much else in the way of playing around with recording and doubletracking yourself, and other exciting things, like fade-ins, woohoo.

Cheers,
Calum
Kevin L. Rietmann

Post by Kevin L. Rietmann »

I'm a fan of a plug-in for Winamp called Pacemaker, the older versions are free, the new one is $10 shareware. Pitch up to +- 1.00 oct., Tempo + 100% or - 43%, with the old version.
I'm listening to John Kelly play the fiddle an octave low and 100% faster, sounds like a guy on speed playing one of those Japanese zithers!