Gibson Fireside (or Cieledh?) Pipes

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Marren

Gibson Fireside (or Cieledh?) Pipes

Post by Marren »

I know this will probably sound like heresy to Uilleann Pipers, but has anyone tried the Gibson small pipes with Irish music. The Cieledh (sp?) pipes even look like UPs, with the drones coming out of a single stock. The chief advantage of the Gibsons would be availability, no 2 year waiting lists for an instrument that I may or may not want to continue with.

Also, it sounds like the Gibsons are more standardized than UPs. I have an old UP practice set (chanter, bag, and bellows) that is horribly out of tune for low D, high E, and I can't get above high G. I've been told this is a problem with the reed. This leads to the prospect of learning how to make reeds or sending the whole chanter off to a reed maker.

The Gibson pipes sound like they would be a one-off purchase, readily available, won't need upgrades. While they don't sound the same, they can add the distinctive pipe sound to a piece.

Anybody try these things? They are available in D, though I don't know what the differences are from whistle (or UP) fingerings. I don't even know if these things have a two octave range.

Mike Marren, Chicago
Bill Reeder
antispam: No

Post by Bill Reeder »

Well, you'll get a chanter with a one octave Highland bagpipe scale. So, if it's a D chanter, you'll have a D mixolydian scale plus a C below the D.
You will have problems playing an Irish repertoire with only 9 notes. In my opinion Irish tunes become horribly mangled on chanters based on the GHP configuration. There are some exceptions to this as always as some Irish tunes can fit that type of chanter. If you're keen on Irish music I would give them a pass and aim for the real deal.
Bill

"... you discover that everything is just right: the drones steady and sonorous, the regulators crisp and tuneful and the chanter sweet and responsive. ... I really look forward to those five or six days every year." Robbie Hannan
Marren

Post by Marren »

9 notes? Oh Well. I guess I'd best start carving canes. This will be fun (not). I'd best look around Chicago for some instruction, I know there are some really great pipers around here. I understand most are pretty friendly.

Thanks for the reply,
M. Marren
PJ
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

Reedmaking is not all that difficult once you see someone else doing it a few times. It takes a little patience and pig-headedness.
PJ
rgouette
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: “I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.”

~Jesus of Nazareth

aside the fire

Post by rgouette »

I owned a set of D Fireside pipes: then sold them as soon as I heard a set of Uilleanns...
I have to say though, that if I had $600.00 burnin' a hole in me pocket, I'd scoop up another set.
They were a lot of fun, & being in D , made them potential jamming material!

Not to mention, Jerry Gibson was quite obliging throughout the buying/tweaking process.
:P
Baglady
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Baglady »

I play small pipes in A and D and they work fine since I like Donegal style more than that tutty flutey fiddly southern stuff. People keep pushing me toward the UP but there are so many of those and the second octave is so over rated. The problem with Firesides is they are too quiet. The minute another instrument comes in you are lost. Play your small pipes and enjoy them.

What kind of reed is in your pipes?
Baglady
Put the music under thier feet and lift them to the dance.
Oh, and,
"If you want to play chords, use standard tuning. It is better." --Martin Carthy
RomanPiper

Re: Gibson Fireside (or Cieledh?) Pipes

Post by RomanPiper »

Marren wrote:I know this will probably sound like heresy to Uilleann Pipers, but has anyone tried the Gibson small pipes with Irish music. The Cieledh (sp?) pipes even look like UPs, with the drones coming out of a single stock.
These are actually a smaller (and thus quieter) version of the uilleann bagpipe, but mouth-blown. The can be fitted with regulators, but only tenor and baritone. They are played exactly the same way as a D chanter. I highly recommend them (but have adapted mine to my Evans-built bellows). They may offer a bass regulator in the future (let's keep our fingers crossed:party:!)
Hail Caesar!
texasbagpiper

Post by texasbagpiper »

Gibson Ceilidh Pipes are noething more than a set of mouthblown or bellow blown scottish smallpipes... Fireside pipes are just a set of smallpipes made to look more like the standard GHB.... :D I've played both and they are very nice..

NOTE:

Gibson does not make regulators for these pipes, and their is no place on the stock to add regulators, they are just scottish smallpipes :D ....
RomanPiper

Post by RomanPiper »

texasbagpiper wrote:Gibson Ceilidh Pipes are noething more than a set of mouthblown or bellow blown scottish smallpipes... Fireside pipes are just a set of smallpipes made to look more like the standard GHB.... :D I've played both and they are very nice..
Are you sure about this?!! Have you gone out of your mind?!
Hail Caesar!
billh

Re: Gibson Fireside (or Cieledh?) Pipes

Post by billh »

RomanPiper wrote:
Marren wrote:I know this will probably sound like heresy to Uilleann Pipers, but has anyone tried the Gibson small pipes with Irish music. The Cieledh (sp?) pipes even look like UPs, with the drones coming out of a single stock.
These are actually a smaller (and thus quieter) version of the uilleann bagpipe, but mouth-blown. The can be fitted with regulators, but only tenor and baritone. They are played exactly the same way as a D chanter. I highly recommend them (but have adapted mine to my Evans-built bellows). They may offer a bass regulator in the future (let's keep our fingers crossed:party:!)
this makes no sense :(

smaller != quieter
mouth-blown is incompatible with the second octave from an overblown reed
and how could you play regs while blowing by mouth?

must be some massive misunderstanding here
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

texasbagpiper

Post by texasbagpiper »

RomanPiper wrote:
texasbagpiper wrote:Gibson Ceilidh Pipes are noething more than a set of mouthblown or bellow blown scottish smallpipes... Fireside pipes are just a set of smallpipes made to look more like the standard GHB.... :D I've played both and they are very nice..
Are you sure about this?!! Have you gone out of your mind?!

Yes, Im sure RomanPiper....

See Cynth's post...
Marren

Post by Marren »

I am still a bit befuddled about what I want to do here. Ideally, I should get the practice set I have playable, learn on that while I get on someone's waiting list for a more formidable set. The Gibson pipes sound easier to learn, but only one octave would drive me crazy. The quieter sound doesn't bother me too much, can't be much worse than a tinwhistle on the first octave. If I'm playing in front of people, me and the whistle needs to be miked anyhow. Thanks for all the input(s).
marcpipes

Post by marcpipes »

Do you already play Scottish pipes? If you don't, then don't bother with the fireside pipes. It is set up with highland fingerings and will not help in any way with the developement of uilleann pipe skills. The gracenotes are way different than crans and cuts. Take the money you would spend on those and get a practice set or get someone to reed your set for you. I'm just afraid the highland pipe set up would be more frustration and dissappointment to you than the wait for a good uilleann chanter would be.
Don't get me wrong. I love playing my old big pipes and the sets of smallpipes I've built, but when uilleann pipes are needed there is simply no substitute.
Marc
Um....Mom, Dad?......I'm Gaelic.
ausdag

Post by ausdag »

Baglady wrote:I play small pipes in A and D and they work fine since I like Donegal style more than that tutty flutey fiddly southern stuff.
Are you saying that Donegal music doesn't play in the second octave? Reading an article on Donegal fiddle style, it said one of it's characteristics was often playing in the upper positions - I take this to mean 2nd and 3rd position of the fingerboard and thus in 2nd octave.
Baglady wrote:
People keep pushing me toward the UP but there are so many of those and the second octave is so over rated.
I once met a guy who performed songs whilst playing a similar type of smallpipe. I think he had a serious case of octave jealousy as he was extremely critical of the Uilleann pipes and their ability to play 2nd octave. By the way he was talking you'd think we were being cruel to the reeds or something.

Cheers,

DavidG
David (ausdag) Goldsworthy
http://ozuilleann.weebly.com/